Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Revenue rule change on CGT?

• 08-02-2021 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All, long time lurker etc. Excellent forum. Something mentioned to me today by my wife. On one of the Newstalk programmes today, a lad was on talking about investing and taxation. He said that if you sell shares on a regular basis, and revenue notice a pattern, they have the right to change the taxation on any gains from CGT of 33% to income tax. As they would now deem it to be an income, due to the regular patter.
    This true?
    Has this affected anyone yet? Can't believe its true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I doubt it. Tax thresholds for income tax are way higher.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

peacock20 wrote: »
    Hi All, long time lurker etc. Excellent forum. Something mentioned to me today by my wife. On one of the Newstalk programmes today, a lad was on talking about investing and taxation. He said that if you sell shares on a regular basis, and revenue notice a pattern, they have the right to change the taxation on any gains from CGT of 33% to income tax. As they would now deem it to be an income, due to the regular patter.
    This true?

If you are day trading I think it's true. But I'd imagine you would need to be buying and selling many times a day. Not sure if anyone knows anything about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

This true?

Your wife is correct. If Revenue deem that your trading is a regular source of income they can tax it as income tax.

If you disagree you can appeal. You would have to prove that the appreciation (if any) is irregular and not a regular income.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

This true?

That's always been the case. You'd want to literally be doing it as your main source of income and basically operating it as a business though. Look up the badges of trade to get an idea what constitutes trading activity liable to Income Tax.

Advertisement