Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW 520d 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there anything to watch out for on your Audi, this could be a case of better the devil you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Assuming you're aware of the timing chain failures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Is there anything to watch out for on your Audi, this could be a case of better the devil you know.

Ah I'm not overly happy with the Audi.

wandererz wrote: »
    Assuming you're aware of the timing chain failures?

Says in the ad it was changed. Suppose you'd need to see a receipt?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

chops018 wrote: »
    Anyone?

Whats wrong with the Audi ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I’d go for f10 model not e60

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

Ah I'm not overly happy with the Audi.

Says in the ad it was changed. Suppose you'd need to see a receipt?

I would check the receipt, and have a look at the service history. Also chat to his mechanic.

Went out anyway. Lovely to drive. Seems straight enough and running well.

However, he didn't really want to take mine. He said mine has a gearbox issue. That it drives ok in low revs but on high revs it doesn't want to accelerate and go faster. He said he'd give me €1400 trade in on mine as it only passed the NCT so he might be able to sell it on to someone (that wouldn't give me much confidence on him as a dealer tbh). Also not great news for my car. Might be hard to trade it in and I wouldn't feel comfortable selling with a gearbox issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Obvious issues
    1. Its an e60 not an f10 and very aged
    2. Is there proof the chain was done? If not cold start listen for a rattle, let it warm up bring it to over 1700rpm and see if the rattle goes away. It'll sound like maracas.
    3. Doesn't realise SE is standard equipment not special edition.....
    4. If its a bad bmw be prepared to pay a lot of money for repairs.

Would you want to buy it for €3500 with your audi?

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Obvious issues
    1. Its an e60 not an f10 and very aged
    2. Is there proof the chain was done? If not cold start listen for a rattle, let it warm up bring it to over 1700rpm and see if the rattle goes away. It'll sound like maracas.
    3. Doesn't realise SE is standard equipment not special edition.....
    4. If its a bad bmw be prepared to pay a lot of money for repairs.

Would you want to buy it for €3500 with your audi?

Thanks for the post.

1. True. But an F10 would be about 3k more surely?
    2. Yes, receipt for chain done and full service history. Saw receipts.
    3. Yes, the spec seemed basic enough alright.
    4. Fair point. I've had 2 Audi's, including my current one which seems like a heap, but the previous one was a great car. Then before that I had 2 BMW's. A 2004 which was great and never any trouble. Then a 2007 one but the turbo went, then starting motor, then heater blower.

Not sure tbh if I want to pay €3500 with my Audi. I can afford it alright but tbh don't want to buy a yoke and have to sink say €1,000 into it straight away.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the post.

1. True. But an F10 would be about 3k more surely?
    2. Yes, receipt for chain done and full service history. Saw receipts.
    3. Yes, the spec seemed basic enough alright.
    4. Fair point. I've had 2 Audi's, including my current one which seems like a heap, but the previous one was a great car. Then before that I had 2 BMW's. A 2004 which was great and never any trouble. Then a 2007 one but the turbo went, then starting motor, then heater blower.

Not sure tbh if I want to pay €3500 with my Audi. I can afford it alright but tbh don't want to buy a yoke and have to sink say €1,000 into it straight away.

As someone whos e90 battery is on its way out and has dealt with a broken ground wire they can be a giant pain in the hole.
    F10 are more expensive alright, nicer in and out than an e60 se to be fair.
    If I was to go for an e60 it'd have to be an msport, se look dire at the front to me.
    If you're already unsure you'd give over 3k and he won't deal anymore I'd move on bud.

The thinking se is special edition alone would fill me with dread when dealing with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I think SE stands for special equipment lads. Used by a lot of car manufacturers to put it above standard model, or at least to give that perception anyway.

Standard (not sure if these even existed in e60)
    SE
    Sport

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I think SE stands for special equipment lads. Used by a lot of car manufacturers to put it above standard model, or at least to give that perception anyway.

Standard (not sure if these even existed in e60)
    SE
    Sport

Se on bmw are base specs with the possibility of added extras, nothing special about that one bar it has a sunroof which is a nice.

It actually can be used for special edition, sports edition, standard edition/equipment depending on the manufacturer.

On bmw its generally the lowest spec level, again with the possibility to add extras.

Se hasn't actually had different standard equipment for donkeys years in bmw.

Its more a marketing ploy than anything that's a very base spec bmw minus the sun roof.

Oh actually op double check for chain rattle there were substandard kits available for awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭ongarite

Wouldn't go for a 2010 E60, it's probably an older car design wise than your A6.
    The E60 came out in 2003 and specification levels in them were very poor in Ireland IMO until that changed with the F10.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They brought out a Business Edition of the E60 as a run out model in 2009 in the UK before the F10 arrived in mid 2010. The Business Edition spec added a few options as standard to the SE and M Sport models. Business Edition added Bluetooth, leather seats and sat nav.

That one doesn't have the Navigation menu on the idrive so can assume it wasn't a Business Edition. It has upgraded leather seats, auto gearbox, alloy wheels and a sunroof but everything else looks like a standard SE model to me. Either way I wouldn't get too bogged down on it on an 11 year old car.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

He actually text me this morning and said he spoke to his mechanic and he could put a second hand gearbox in mine so he could do a deal with me for €3,300 with my car. How much would a second hand CVT transmission be and surely it would be a big job to replace? Hardly worth it for him on a 2008 Audi, so makes me wonder.

I am not sure what to do tbh. I have the money there and I've a good job (thankfully), but I am also saving for a mortgage so I was hoping to trade in my own car and spend around €2,000 (was maxing myself out with the €2,500 we had agreed before he saw my car). I am just worried I will buy the BMW and then have to spend around €1,000 with different things going wrong a few weeks after I bought it. Maybe I should just drive my own on until it goes as it has a full year NCT, but it is really annoying you can't put the boot down on mine when needed!

Another point, he has had that BMW up for sale since late December (ad reuploaded a few times). But he said it was because of restrictions as he hasn't been having many viewing down his way.

The BMW drove well and had service receipts and a receipt for the timing chain but just concerned now. I feel bad for wasting his time if I don't go ahead with it.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Its an 11 year old BMW. It will probably need a certain amount spent on it in the next year. Your driving a 13 year old A6 so you probably know this already

And you don’t owe him anything so you have no reason to feel bad

User1998 wrote: »
    Its an 11 year old BMW. It will probably need a certain amount spent on it in the next year. Your driving a 13 year old A6 so you probably know this already

And you don’t owe him anything so you have no reason to feel bad

Yeah, true, 11 year old car! It's not mega money but at the same time I don't want to get stung.

I spent nearly €1,000 on my own Audi last summer and it was a waste with the gearbox as it is. However, the Audi is driving and a year NCT so the most economical would be to probably just drive it on for another year or until it goes bust fully.

Crazy money these days for second hand cars 10-11 years old. I remember not that long ago buying 10 year old cars for €2,000 or lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd be the opposite actually. The e60 issues was all mainly ironed out apart from timing chain.
    Getting the first year of any bmw is dodgy as I found out with my f10.
    Had numerous electrical issues with lights, the idrive headunit has gone twice on it , egr and swirl flaps also needed replacing.
    Its at the point that I hate the car....to be honest if you're only going up 2 years why bother upgrading?

If I was you I'd just keep driving the audi to its end. Mortage is more important.

Blazer wrote: »
    I'd be the opposite actually. The e60 issues was all mainly ironed out apart from timing chain.
    Getting the first year of any bmw is dodgy as I found out with my f10.
    Had numerous electrical issues with lights, the idrive headunit has gone twice on it , egr and swirl flaps also needed replacing.
    Its at the point that I hate the car....to be honest if you're only going up 2 years why bother upgrading?

My own car drives fine in lower revs but as soon as you put the boot down the revs shoot up but it doesn't really pick up speed. Not needed overly much as I don't be putting the boot down often, but at the same time very annoying. So I was keeping a look out for a 2008-2010 BMW. As I said I can afford it but I'm just being miserly as I want to keep saving towards a mortgage, so maybe I've answered my own question and I should just put up with my own car for another year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thing is for over 3k your not really going to make much progress in that your swapping a 13 year old car with problems for an 11 year old car that may and probably will develop problems. Premium cars even at this age and end of the market can still cost premium money to maintain.

I agree with your train of thought in that you don't want to be committing to a bigger car loan when your saving for a mortgage as it will reduce the amount you could borrow. If you don't want to spend anymore on the Audi and want rid of it then consider something like a Honda Accord, Toyota Avensis or similar, something that is well known for being reliable and reasonable to run.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Thing is for over 3k your not really going to make much progress in that your swapping a 13 year old car with problems for an 11 year old car that may and probably will develop problems. Premium cars even at this age and end of the market can still cost premium money to maintain.

I agree with your train of thought in that you don't want to be committing to a bigger car loan when your saving for a mortgage as it will reduce the amount you could borrow. If you don't want to spend anymore on the Audi and want rid of it then consider something like a Honda Accord, Toyota Avensis or similar, something that is well known for being reliable and reasonable to run.

My dad used to love Honda Accords, said you can't be the Japanese for reliability.

I was actually looking at this ad earlier:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-diesel-saloon/26953403?campaign=6

Looks clean and well priced, but the paint work is not the best looking!

Something like that I could buy and sell mine on for €1-2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Unless you were stepping up, say for the f10, i don't think this is worth it.

I'd hold on for awhile and save and try to step up more in a couple of years.

don't think it's worth the money to move over to an e60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

My dad used to love Honda Accords, said you can't be the Japanese for reliability.

I was actually looking at this ad earlier:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-diesel-saloon/26953403?campaign=6

Looks clean and well priced, but the paint work is not the best looking!

Something like that I could buy and sell mine on for €1-2k.
    How many miles do you do per year?
    What age are you?
    No point in us suggesting alternatives if you think they are boring.
    You appear to be attracted to the looks of a premium motor but are restricted in your budget.
    This can often lead to wasting money on multiple cars over the course of a 3 to 5 year period.
    What exactly are you looking for? Do you really need an automatic?

kermitpwee wrote: »
    How many miles do you do per year?
    What age are you?
    No point in us suggesting alternatives if you think they are boring.
    You appear to be attracted to the looks of a premium motor but are restricted in your budget.
    This can often lead to wasting money on multiple cars over the course of a 3 to 5 year period.
    What exactly are you looking for? Do you really need an automatic?

No, I don't need an auto. Manual is fine.

I don't do much mileage anymore tbh. Only around 250-300km a week. I know I do not need a big car but I like big cars.

I've a good job but just don't want to spend much money right now on a car as saving for a mortgage, as mentioned. Not happy with my current Audi but don't to fork out loads to change or change and then hit with immediate bills for fixing a car, which is why I was half thinking of just continuing on with the Audi for one more year. Anyway, €2k or a bit more with trading my own in or €2-3k cash then sell my own for €1-2k, would be about where I am budget wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

If you don’t want to spend much money now I’d probably agree with Bazz that you should buy something more reliable. Or hold onto your Audi for another while. I definitely wouldn’t be buying an 11 year old 5 series

User1998 wrote: »
    If you don’t want to spend much money now I’d probably agree with Bazz that you should buy something more reliable. Or hold onto your Audi for another while. I definitely wouldn’t be buying an 11 year old 5 series

Ok fair enough. Yeah, consensus seems to be get something reliable - Accord, Avensis, etc. or else hold on to the Audi.

Most likely I will keep the Audi. Don't fancy handing over €3k plus my own car (which is running fine bar what I have pointed out and has a full year NCT) for the BMW to have a few things go wrong with it which could be expensive.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

No, I don't need an auto. Manual is fine.

I don't do much mileage anymore tbh. Only around 250-300km a week. I know I do not need a big car but I like big cars.

I've a good job but just don't want to spend much money right now on a car as saving for a mortgage, as mentioned. Not happy with my current Audi but don't to fork out loads to change or change and then hit with immediate bills for fixing a car, which is why I was half thinking of just continuing on with the Audi for one more year. Anyway, €2k or a bit more with trading my own in or €2-3k cash then sell my own for €1-2k, would be about where I am budget wise.

Ok i follow now. The price range you are buying at is very difficult to buy a decent car in the premium motor segment, 2-5k is peanuts for these cars.
    Even buying a Avensis or Accord in that price bracket needs legwork and you need to know what your doing as well.
    Good luck with what ever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yeah, true, 11 year old car! It's not mega money but at the same time I don't want to get stung.

I spent nearly €1,000 on my own Audi last summer and it was a waste with the gearbox as it is. However, the Audi is driving and a year NCT so the most economical would be to probably just drive it on for another year or until it goes bust fully.

Crazy money these days for second hand cars 10-11 years old. I remember not that long ago buying 10 year old cars for €2,000 or lower.

10 to 11 year old cars these days are on current taxation system so 2.0 diesels even in the premium stuff is cheap to tax and cheap to run. You'll get tax for 300 odd and 40-45 mpg from them.
    The ones that were 2000 to buy a few years ago were 1000-1500 to tax and were petrol so doing 25mpg. Even at that, the ones at 2000 weren't the best examples.
    If you're looking at spending small money now you're getting very bottom of the barrel stuff

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Most likely will keep the Audi.

However, I was just having a look again though this evening and saw this:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320d-m-sport-1-year-nct-excellent-condition/27165327

Absolutely gorgeous car that looks well minded. The fact it's a 2006 probably takes a lot of purchasers away from it as insurers might not insure it. Plus high tax.

I'd nearly ring my insurance company tomorrow and see what they say. That looks a lot cleaner than most 2008-2010 320d's. New NCT, four Bridgestone tyres, heated seats. Mileage very high though. I had a 2007 318d before and it was a lovely drive. I'd say this one would be even nicer.

Advertisement