Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

planning permission - local needs

• 03-02-2021 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

iv lived away from home (in the country) about 15 years ago. For education / work etc.

Now married with kids, and looking to move back to where all my family and friends are (no other reason really, and its a nice spot). Will local needs help me with planning application?

Currently only live 30 mins from home anyway. Can still work same job

:pac::cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

mammyod wrote: »
    Hi,

iv lived away from home (in the country) about 15 years ago. For education / work etc.

Now married with kids, and looking to move back to where all my family and friends are (no other reason really, and its a nice spot). Will local needs help me with planning application?

Currently only live 30 mins from home anyway. Can still work same job

:pac::cool:

Local needs isn’t something that will help you, it’s possibly something you have to satisfy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Very difficult to comment with the info provided. is this rural county Clare? You might find your looking to build in an area where the county development plan provides for your situation. But for most of us, building in rural Ireland is a pipe dream, unless you’ve a direct connection to land.. or farmers son/daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Local needs is an additional requirement that you will have to satisfy if you want to build in a rural area and it can be complicated.

Not sure what requirements are like in other areas but for my build in Fingal, I had to demonstrate at least 15 years residence in my parents home and the site had to be adjacent to my parents house or within a maximum of 2kms if no suitable adjacent site available. Breaks in the 15 years does not seem to matter so you could move away and return later as long as in total you could demonstrate the 15 years.

I also had to specify which criteria I was availing of - FCC permit local needs for members of a farming family actively operating a farm, locally employed, 1 child that has a need to live next to parents or you own a business providing employment in the area. The details are set out on their website and development plan.

I ended up providing a combination of letters from various schools showing my address and bank statements/other official correspondence to prove the residency requirement.

Also a lot of attention is paid to the 'need' element - if you currently own a house you do not have a 'housing need' to build in a rural area so despite having the residency piece you will not get permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

BryanF wrote: »
    Very difficult to comment with the info provided. is this rural county Clare? You might find your looking to build in an area where the county development plan provides for your situation. But for most of us, building in rural Ireland is a pipe dream, unless you’ve a direct connection to land.. or farmers son/daughter.

why - is Clare different to any other county?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,968 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

every county is different from the others

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I’m guessing where the OP is form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Join every local organisation in the place. GAA, soccer, music, community link and get membership letters

Get copies of your attendance in local schools, baptism in local church.
    You need a paper trail to show the council your connection to the area

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Hi there!

My wife and I are currently in the process of applying for planning premission with Kerry Coco and this is our story.

Wife's home house is 700 metres from the site in which her parents still live. Her brother, sister in law and two nephews live beside them along with her aunt and uncle the other side.

We currently live in Meath but I have had a transfer in to change my job to work in Kerry (expecting this won't happen for another 12-18 months). Wife is a nurse so can work anywhere.

Our son is enrolled in the local school due to start in 2023.

I'm from Dublin but we got married in her local.church and baptised our son there also. We currently own a house in Meath but would be selling up once the build is ready to move into.

I can provide documentation with our planning application to support all the above.

My question is, are we going to have problems fulfilling local needs to get planning premission? I didn't think it would be an issue but I'm reading horror stuff.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

aido112 wrote: »
    My question is, are we going to have problems fulfilling local needs to get planning premission? I didn't think it would be an issue but I'm reading horror stuff.
    Personally I have no idea as the rural housing criteria is different around the various counties. Best bet is to start with a log in to Kerry CoCo's website and then the planning section and look up the county development plan. That will contain the details you are looking for clarification on.

You could also look for a pre-planning meeting with the local planner which will be a phone call instead of a face to face meeting due to the current pandemic. Again, details of this will be on the council's website.

Advertisement