Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying cigars online within the EU

• 05-04-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hello, just wondering what's the story with buying cigars online from another European union country? I'd like to purchase some from here sigarenhuis.nl but is it ok to purchase from within the EU. Not too sure what's the story with buying cigars online, is there a limit, or is it the same as buying any product within the EU?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The story is at the bottom of this page. The seller must pay Irish Revenue the taxes owed in Ireland, and do so before shipping you the cigars.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

Okay, so when I was using this website tabakado.nl the salestax when I set it to Ireland changed to 15euro, total sale is 75 prior to tax and 91 afterwards. Is that it sorted do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I didn't think you'd be charged VAT if you order within the EU?

You are. Taxes are always due in the country of destination. There's only an exception when you transport the goods yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

VAT and excise duty are two different things OP. You pay the VAT in the country of purchase (21% of NL in this case), but your order is also liable for Irish excise duty, which the sender has to pay prior to shipping your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

There is an excise duty levied on all tobacco products coming into Ireland, as far as I know. There is some confusion on what it is, which is why I'm bumping up this thread. Current levy has just gone up to 315 euros per kilogram of Cigars. That wouldn't actually be so bad as Cigars don't typically weigh a whole lot. Problem is I'd be wondering what the customs people are weighing. Are they weighing just the cigars or the whole package? And should one really be forced to pay money on cardboard and plastic?

Suffice to say that the levy on cigars is extortionate, especially since they pose a much lower health risk than cigarettes when used responsibly. Since most people don't smoke cigars, and even less order online, there's not much about how good the customs net is, whether it's worth the risk to occasionally order a box that way. I was thinking of using Cigarworld.de once or twice to see. They're a properly reputable vendor in Germany with prices that aren't mad and a great selection from cheapos to ones you'd only smoke on very special occasions. Seems Germany's always the way to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

briany wrote: »
    They're a properly reputable vendor in Germany with prices that aren't mad and a great selection from cheapos to ones you'd only smoke on very special occasions. Seems Germany's always the way to go...

Link?

Ageyev wrote: »
    Link?

Cigarworld

(even though I already included the URL in my previous post!)

There's also top25cigars, who, weirdly, appear to offer a cash-on-delivery option (which might come in handy if you want to test the waters with a tax hit). And they appear to be legitimate because there are a few posts on the Reddit subreddit r/UKcigars about them.

Actually there's a number of good German online retailers : Hacico, Cigarmaxx, Rauchr, Noblego and Cigarrenversand to name but a few. All offer a similar level of selection and price, although Cigarworld is the most well-used, and therefore the most well-attested to on its customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

briany wrote: »
    Cigarworld

(even though I already included the URL in my previous post!)

There's also top25cigars, who, weirdly, appear to offer a cash-on-delivery option (which might come in handy if you want to test the waters with a tax hit). And they appear to be legitimate because there are a few posts on the Reddit subreddit r/UKcigars about them.

Actually there's a number of good German online retailers : Hacico, Cigarmaxx, Rauchr, Noblego and Cigarrenversand to name but a few. All offer a similar level of selection and price, although Cigarworld is the most well-used, and therefore the most well-attested to on its customer service.
    Sorry it was late and I was tired last night, missed the link. Thanks.

I'm mega confused looking at that site. So many different brands and sizes!

I've a friend living in Germany, wonder what the story with posting cigars would be. Assume you'd have to pay excise on arrival.

• Advertisement

Ageyev wrote: »
    wonder what the story with posting cigars would be.
    Legally speaking, exactly the same as buying from a shop: Irish taxes would be due on them so you're supposed to make the relevant arrangements with Revenue. In practice I've had small amounts of tobacco sent to me in the post by a friend in Germany, with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Sorry to bring up and old post. But if one orders online and they get delivered by courier you'd defo pay excise duty wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

peteb2 wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up and old post. But if one orders online and they get delivered by courier you'd defo pay excise duty wouldn't you?

I've only checked two suppliers websites and they specifically state they wont pay any additional excise charges.

cigarworld.de have stopped shipping to Ireland in the past few weeks. I got an order from them in August and tried to order last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Cigar world was where I was gonna buy from. Their website didn't give any indication they wouldn't.

I don't get what you mean about them dealing with excise. Will the courier firm not look for it ?

I was looking to but about 10 or 20 romeo y julieta no 3s. Just for a wedding and few occasions I'm heading to in a fortnight. Just lads who like an occasional one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

peteb2 wrote: »
    Cigar world was where I was gonna buy from. Their website didn't give any indication they wouldn't.

I don't get what you mean about them dealing with excise. Will the courier firm not look for it ? ...

I was looking to but about 10 or 20 romeo y julieta no 3s

I tried to place my order and it wouldnt process - an error message said they dont send tobacco products to my country, I tried a UK address and the same error message. I emailed them and the reply was, they cant send to Ireland, Uk and some other EU countries.

Excise - cigarworld and LCDH amsterdam, state that they will not add any additional excise Ireland imposes on tobacco to our bill. If the courier is aware it is a tobacco product, the onus is on them to collect it on behalf of Irish revenue.

I might try LCDH amsterdam.

10 x no 3 will cost about €120 here and €52.50 plus €11.50 delivery with LCDH amst.

Has anyone ordered from top25cigars? Just wondering how reputable they are.

I tried to place my order and it wouldnt process - an error message said they dont send tobacco products to my country, I tried a UK address and the same error message. I emailed them and the reply was, they cant send to Ireland, Uk and some other EU countries.

Excise - cigarworld and LCDH amsterdam, state that they will not add any additional excise Ireland imposes on tobacco to our bill. If the courier is aware it is a tobacco product, the onus is on them to collect it on behalf of Irish revenue.

I might try LCDH amsterdam.

10 x no 3 will cost about €120 here and €52.50 plus €11.50 delivery with LCDH amst.

Has anyone ordered from top25cigars? Just wondering how reputable they are.

There are a number of people on the UKCigars forum on Reddit who regularly speak about ordering from Top25Cigars, so they certainly seem legitimate. They're a little bit overpriced versus other retailers, the selection isn't great and the website doesn't always work right, but people have still reported good things. In any case they do a cash on delivery option via UPS, something I thought was unheard of with tobacco retailers, and I believe (but don't quote me on this, e-mail them for confirmation) that they'll resend an order if the first one isn't delivered for whatever reason.

Pity about Cigarworld, but you can still get orders from them if you choose, by going through a forwarding service. Might work out a bit more expensive on delivery, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 OutCastLV

CigarWorld co uk is ur place to buy em, their located in Northen Ireland and did not get a letter from customs and got 9 nice cigars at home for 50 pounds, another 5er for delivery, saved 1/3 of the price compared to here, i might hqve just been lucky but still, worth a check

OutCastLV, welcome to the forum. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for years and do not post the same reply to multiple threads. Thanks!

Zombie thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement