Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Semi Irish Alphabet Sheep (Sheep at its most luxurious!) - THE REVEAL!!!!

Comments

Congrats Nitty!!

Thanks Rikand, that was really great!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Rikand wrote: »
    Coded in C# - Not by me lol. It was coded by someone over on the 2+2 forums where I used to play sheep and werewolf originally :)

The scorer is linked somewhere on forum games or it was but I can get the link again if it has gone walkies :)

Cool! I'd love to see it if you could get the link, I was trying to make a library in C# tonight :D.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks for a superb game Rikand, and a truly epic reveal. Congrats EN, and hard luck Shane, it was all going so well for so long.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ari101 wrote:
    Totally doing this again, and remembering the pitfall of Chewbacca next time hopefully

There's a Logo Peehs running right now if you wanted to have a go at a different format ari.

beakerjoe wrote:
    Can I just run one of these whenever or is their an orderly queue Im missing.

Whenever you like, the sheepulator is in the first post of the upcoming new games thread. Get your topic, start playing around so you can see what it does and wham! You're ready to run a sheep/heels/peehs

Cool! I'd love to see it if you could get the link, I was trying to make a library in C# tonight .

As above, if you check the OP of the upcoming games thread stickied in the main forum, the link to it is there.

Or just go back a page where Neowise posted it in this thread :D

Thanks for running Rikand, great game! Well done to the podium placers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Well done Nitwit.

Thanks for running, Rikand. Possibly the most annoying and infuriating version of SHEEP I’ve played. Loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Great game Rikand and congratulations EN!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Collie D wrote: »
    Well done Nitwit.

Thanks for running, Rikand. Possibly the most annoying and infuriating version of SHEEP I’ve played. Loved it.
    Is that the first one of those that's been played?

Because an awful lot of you seemed to cop on a lot quicker to the pitfalls and traps of it than I did :o I had to basically be hit in the face with them before I realised.

Torture trying to put the list together first, and then torture trying to keep up and understand the nuances of the reval - genius!

When's the next one?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

A HEEPS version of this could be interesting!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ms.crackerz

Great game :) Thanks for running. Had me hooked last night.

Well done Rikand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

ah, I missed all the action last night, bang on mid table.

Congrats EN!!

Thank you for organising Rikand, great idea for a sheep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Great game Rikand.

I nearly entered but I was late to the party and then I looked at the question, started thinking about it and thought oh feck.

Well done Nitty, commiserations Shane.

Very amusing evening reading the reveal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Necro wrote: »

Whenever you like, the sheepulator is in the first post of the upcoming new games thread. Get your topic, start playing around so you can see what it does and wham! You're ready to run a sheep/heels/peehs

As above, if you check the OP of the upcoming games thread stickied in the main forum, the link to it is there.
    Rikand wrote: »
    Coded in C# - Not by me lol. It was coded by someone over on the 2+2 forums where I used to play sheep and werewolf originally :)

The scorer is linked somewhere on forum games or it was but I can get the link again if it has gone walkies :)

Just looking at the code now, fierce interesting altogether :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I get that this is SHEEP backwards, but I have no idea what it means in the context of how one would play the game :D Must investigate.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ari101 wrote: »
    I get that this is SHEEP backwards, but I have no idea what it means in the context of how one would play the game :D Must investigate.

SHEEP - pick the most popular answer to score most points. Highest total points wins.
    HEEPS - pick the second most popular answer to score most points. Most popular answer scores zero. highest total points wins.
    PEEHS - pick the least popular/most obscure answer to score. Lowest total points wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ari101 wrote: »

Actually, PEEHS is SHEEP backwards and it's quite similar to the TV Show Pointless if you're familiar with that. It's very straightforward.

HEEPS is a headf*ck where you're trying to get the second most popular answer because those who SHEEP in HEEPS get 0 points. :rolleyes:

Edit: what Zaph said.

Zaph wrote: »
    SHEEP - pick the most popular answer to score most points. Highest total points wins.
    HEEPS - pick the second most popular answer to score most points. Most popular answer scores zero. highest total points wins.
    PEEHS - pick the least popular/most obscure answer to score. Lowest total points wins.

In the case of PEEHS, if you give a wrong answer, you are penalised by some multiple of the SHEEP answer! Otherwise, everybody would be aceing!

Thank you all, I love Pointless but am crap at it ;)

So many future games to try my hand at (and become infuriated over :D )

One thing that hasn't been tried yet: EPSHE.

EPSHE - pick the second least popular answer to score. Most obscure answer scores a multiple of the SHEEP answer. Lowest total points wins. Same rules about incorrect answers.

What do you think? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

One thing that hasn't been tried yet: EPSHE.

EPSHE - pick the second least popular answer to score. Most obscure answer scores a multiple of the SHEEP answer. Lowest total points wins. Same rules about incorrect answers.

What do you think? :)

wouldn't that be EEHSP

• Advertisement

Had to sleep last night, so missed the end of this.

Epic game and reveal Rikand, congrats EN, great win.
    Well done all

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

da631105b890e370574bcb8b86de91cc.jpg

Possibly my favourite answer of all in the game :D

Brilliant!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

There was some talk of "strategies" used for this. How did people go about putting together their answers?

Given I finished in the bottom, my "strategy" of random allocation of first thing to come to mind is not recommended! I didn't answer in any order or sequence - I think I tried to answer the Irish questions first though.
    As for the Chewie rule - it took me a while for the implication of that to dawn on me :o

Ffs, I'm getting the hair dye ads today as well, and I only gave it as an answer by PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ffs, I'm getting the hair dye ads today as well, and I only gave it as an answer by PM!

Big Brother is everywhere... You only need to think it and they know...

giphy.gif

cee_jay wrote: »
    There was some talk of "strategies" used for this. How did people go about putting together their answers?

As for the Chewie rule - it took me a while for the implication of that to dawn on me :o

Not sure if this helps but it is what I tried:

Brainstormed a few likely popular answers for each category and jot them down.
    From that I picked things I thought were too obvious not to have (Katy Taylor, river Shannon, Dublin city), locked in categories that had good use of less common letter (Ulster), or where there were minimal common choices I could think of (Iguana for lizard).

After that it was just about trying to use all the letters in ways that were moderately common IMO, so I ticked off Venus and a few others, until the choices started to rule themselves out.

After that I started playing swapsie with the ones I wasn't happy with, Obadiah remains ;)

Chewbaccas only occurred to me when Rikand mentioned it in the reveal thread. I fear next time I will over think them entirely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This was a brilliant reveal. I had to go to bed before it finished so it was nice to catch up this morning. Congrats to Electric Nitwit and thanks for running it, Rikand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

cee_jay wrote: »

I looked up the value of Scrabble letter tiles, and started by finding answers for the highest-scoring letters first, my theory being they would be the hardest to think of

Then I moved on to vowels, since they'd usually be in the middle of a word, I thought finding good answers starting with those letters might be the best next step

I tried to answer the questions that had fewer potential answers (like the provinces, teeth and planets) as early as possible, because they'd be harder to correct later on

After that, most of the answers just slotted in to place with the easier letters, and all that was needed were a few re-jigs :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Definitely one question where the three answers that jumped out at me all started with the same letter. I went for one of them. Still...

tenor.gif?itemid=13340692
    :D

Just noticed this! :D

• Advertisement

Just noticed this! :D

Wonder if *he'd be up for picking my lotto numbers if *his predictions are usually this good ;)

*replace pronouns if necessary :D

Advertisement