Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ugly pergola

Options
  • 17-06-2020 6:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Neighbours are building a pergola type thing in their garden up against the party boundary wall. Is there any height limit on this? It's about 2.8m high from our side, probably a bit less on their side as we're about 30cm lower down. They approached us about it but are now building it taller and with thicker wood than they said they would.

It's looking like it's going to be a complete eyesore. Will probably shade our garden more than theirs given its on the southern boundary of our garden. I'm guessing there's nothing I can do except voice my displeasure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Pictures please

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Pat201

Anyone know the answer to this question. Neighbour is putting up a pergola and it's about 3 ft higher than our boundary wall. Interested to see where rain run off is planned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

That doesn't look like it's going to impose much on your garden, it's nowhere near 3ft higher than the boundary wall, more like 300mm I would guess.

jiltloop wrote: »
    That doesn't look like it's going to impose much on your garden, it's nowhere near 3ft higher than the boundary wall, more like 300mm I would guess.

3ft was an exaggeration I grant ya that as I'm not going out measuring right now . Would have been nice courtesy for neighbour to at least mention it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Fair enough, yes it does look a lot worse from the ground alright. It wouldn't bother me personally but a neighbourly chat about it from the neighbour would be something I would have expected. There's probably not much you can do as it looks unlikely to block any light, as you said though it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on drainage.

• Advertisement

jiltloop wrote: »
    Fair enough, yes it does look a lot worse from the ground alright. It wouldn't bother me personally but a neighbourly chat about it from the neighbour would be something I would have expected. There's probably not much you can do as it looks unlikely to block any light, as you said though it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on drainage.

Ya it would have been neighbourly thing to do. They just put paving over their grass so they essentially raised garden height and then put this that extends above boundary wall. Seems like plan is to run off rain water into garden behind them . I would not be happy about that if I was that neighbour but that's not my battle

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't see the problem. It nicely blocks the overlooking windows of the houses behind, without blocking your light.

More importantly, it uses up the exempted development limits which could otherwise be spent on a 4m tall shed.

If you don't like it, grow something up the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I don’t get why people give out about things like pergolas and sheds. Most people who plant the timber pergolas tend to plant climbers such as rambling roses or clematis. My parents in law built one at the bottom of their garden and planted a raised bed around 3 sides & it looks fantastic in the spring till autumn and makes the view out the back much nicer than a blank concrete wall. Plus it gives them a lovely space to eat outdoors and enjoy the sun in north facing garden.

IMO, it’s way better to see things like the above rather than some bleak, grey, new biuld gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That looks more like its going to be a gazebo than a pergola to me, that "rafters" dont look pressure treated, so I would expect a roof of some description to be going on.
    It does seem to slope from front to back so the front is easily 3 foot higher than the wall, the back is 2 9 inch cavities above the wall already.

There seems to be a white gutter channel in the left of the first pic, so I would assume that will go on the back and direct water into the owners garden...to where after that I dont know!

The house behind will have an issue with a gutter potentially hanging over the boundary line.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pat201 wrote: »
    Anyone know the answer to this question. Neighbour is putting up a pergola and it's about 3 ft higher than our boundary wall. Interested to see where rain run off is planned

Max height 3m with flat roof.
    4m with pitched.

Areas of garden remaining looks sufficient.

Biggest concern is roof rain water discharge and making sure it doesn’t oversail the boundary.

You should chat to them early, like now to make sure the issue doesn’t occur once finished.

• Advertisement

It's all finished. Got a quick measure and it's 3m high from my garden so within regulations. It's a bit OTT height wise I think but within regulations so thats end of story. There is a gutter at back of it that's must be just sitting on boundary wall to neighbour behind but that's a issue between them .

Would have been nice of them to at least discuss it with us but that ship has now sailed .

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

It's all finished. Got a quick measure and it's 3m high from my garden so within regulations. It's a bit OTT height wise I think but within regulations so thats end of story. There is a gutter at back of it that's must be just sitting on boundary wall to neighbour behind but that's a issue between them .

Would have been nice of them to at least discuss it with us but that ship has now sailed .

That’s awful looking. Amazing it was deemed essential and the could put it up during the construction stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

hurikane wrote: »
    That’s awful looking. Amazing it was deemed essential and the could put it up during the construction stoppage.

Have to agree it looks brutal. Cheap plastic corrugated sheets on top... horrible.

Looks like something you'd use to hang out your washing under to keep it dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

How do you get on with your neighbour otherwise op

How do you get on with your neighbour otherwise op

All the neighbors on my row have moved in over 2 years ago and all are very good. Waves and hellos but due to covid it's difficult to get any closer than that. I'm on very good terms with next door neighbor.

This neighbour has only moved in last 3 months . I introduced myself on their move in day but it was near impossible to progress conversation as you could see that they want to stick to themselves. They are not from ireland originally so I just put it down to a language barrier.

Speaking to other neighbours it's same for us all. There is no hellos or waves and if you both leave house at same time they will just go back inside until the coast is clear.

This probably has not helped

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP is removed the photos before someone recognises the area, and live with it. As others have suggested, it hardly impacts you. Not worth creating an issue for the rest of your time at your address. Can’t empathise enough the Benefits of being on good terms with your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Wait for a storm to come along and it wont be a problem anymore.

BryanF wrote: »
    OP is removed the photos before someone recognises the area, and live with it. As others have suggested, it hardly impacts you. Not worth creating an issue for the rest of your time at your address. Can’t empathise enough the Benefits of being on good terms with your neighbours.

Removed. I agree totally with you on benefits of good neighbours. It was frosty when we had not even spoken 5 words. its definitely frosty now. I will just get on with it. Id say irish weather will eventually take it down for me

D3V!L wrote: »
    Wait for a storm to come along and it wont be a problem anymore.

Your probably right here

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Have a look at the original permission for the development; They will sometimes disallow Class 1/3 exempt development without a further grant of permission, particularly in newer developments with more compact gardens.

• Advertisement

All the neighbors on my row have moved in over 2 years ago and all are very good. Waves and hellos but due to covid it's difficult to get any closer than that. I'm on very good terms with next door neighbor.

This neighbour has only moved in last 3 months . I introduced myself on their move in day but it was near impossible to progress conversation as you could see that they want to stick to themselves. They are not from ireland originally so I just put it down to a language barrier.

Speaking to other neighbours it's same for us all. There is no hellos or waves and if you both leave house at same time they will just go back inside until the coast is clear.

This probably has not helped

The reason I asked is because this little add on while not the prettiest thing to look at has zero impact on you other than the fact you don't like it, whats also clear from your reply is that you'd have no issue with their little project other than the fact they never asked your permission or consulted you about it (which they didn't have to) and the fact they don't wave or say hello and don't want to mix with the neighbours, it seems very petty to get upset over a small thing like this

Your probably right here

I've seen these put up before and if put up right are sturdy enough to withstand a lot of punishment, if well screwed down and braced well it should be fine, especially where it is seems to have plenty shelter

The reason I asked is because this little add on while not the prettiest thing to look at has zero impact on you other than the fact you don't like it, whats also clear from your reply is that you'd have no issue with their little project other than the fact they never asked your permission or consulted you about it (which they didn't have to) and the fact they don't wave or say hello and don't want to mix with the neighbours, it seems very petty to get upset over a small thing like this

Where do I seem to get upset ? I asked what regulations were as there construction in 3 metres in height and towers over a boundary wall. The fact that I think it's a common decent thing to talk to your neighbours when your going to put up a structure that's visible in other person's garden would probably be a common opinion. My question was answered that it's legal so that's end of story . The fact that the neighbours are recluses and our biggest interaction has been about this is not my problem. I think your projecting a bit based off yourself ?

I have no issue with the project at all it's an improvement on previous garden . My issue is structure is very tall and tower over a 2metre boundary wall at height of 3m . I am now clear that it is legal so I will just get used to it but does not take away from fact I now get to see a wooden structure sticking out above the wall like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Meaowwwwwwwwww

Pic

PIC

Looks good, they'll enjoy that for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Looks good, they'll enjoy that for the summer

nicer unit in the garden over

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement