Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My Monthly Portfolio Update

• 02-02-2021 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

My Month By Month Portfolio Update - For Anyone interested, doing it for myself anyway :)
    One Post, One Graph + That months buys & sells

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

January

February

Last Months Buys
    - Opendoor (New Addition)
    - 4d Pharma/LOAC
    - Live Nation
    - Apple (New Addition)
    - Ally Financial (New Addition)
    - Verizon

Last Months Sells
    - Alibaba
    - Intel

Top Monthly Performers
    - Skillz ↑ 22%
    - GAN ↑ 12%

Bottom Monthly Performers
    - Royal Dutch Shell ↓ 9%

Holding 34 stocks in total, want to keep it to 30, so going to look at what I can trim back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Would be great to know your average price BEP on each. Not sure how it could be displayed, but give's more info. Also profit overall as a percentage of the portfolio for the month.

March Update

Last Months (Feb) Buys
    - FTNT (New Addition)
    - BEPC (New Addition)
    - WME (New Addition)
    - GSK (New Addition)
    - CVS (New Addition)
    - QCOM (New Addition)
    - PRU (New Addition)
    - CRM (Bought More) Esp good long term buy
    - BRK (Bought More)

Last Months (Feb) Sells

- MO (Altria)
    - CLOV
    - SKLZ (Halved position)
    - GAN (Halved position)
    - GOOG (Halved position)

Monthly Top 5
    1. IAG ↑ 38%
    2. LiveNation ↑ 31%
    3. Wells Fargo ↑ 20%
    4. 4D Pharma/Loac ↑ 17%
    5. Shell ↑ 12%

Monthly Bottom 5
    1. SSE ↓ 11%
    2. Apple ↓ 10%
    3. Amazon ↓ 8% Esp good long term buy
    4. Pfizer ↓ 6%
    5. Covanta ↓ 6%

Added a fair bit of cash to portfolio over the month. Holding 38 stocks in total, have a few stocks that are due for removal over the coming days/weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Closed
    Clover Health

New Stocks
    Tremor

Added to
    Teledoc
    Redfin
    Argo
    KR1
    CURI
    Docusign

Very heavy towards Crypto at the moment, but happy to let that run for a few more months.
    Feb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

January 2021 ->
    image.png

February 2021 ->
    image.png

March 2021 ->
    image.png

Forgot to add my buys/sells from Feb to March.

SOLD:
    Profit: GASLOG LTD / OCUGEN INC. / SCOTTISH MORTGAGE INV.TR. PLC / NANO DIMENSION LTD. / FISKER INC / TEEKAY LNG PARTNERS / NIO / WELLS FARGO & COMPANY / BANK OF AMERICA CORPOR

Loss: 4D PHARMA PLC / REALTY INCOME CORPORAT / JAGUAR HEALTH INC. / NOKIA CORPORATION SPON / DEEPMATTER GROUP PLC

BOUGHT (NEW):
    Ebang international Holdings / SEELOS THERAPEUTICS INC / MIND MEDICINE (MINDMED) / Cloudflare / fuboTV /
    Super League Gaming / CRISPR Therapeutics AG / RED LIGHT HOLLAND CORP. / CIELO WASTE SOLUTIONS CORP / TONIX PHARMACEUTICALS / REVIVE THERAPEUTICS LTD / MYDECINE INNOVAT.GRP / VAXART

BOUGHT (ADDED TO POSITION):
    ARGO BLOCKCHAIN / PERSHING SQUARE TONTINE HOLDING / PALANTIR TECHNOLOGIES INC / PINE ISLAND ACQUISITION CORP. / TITAN MEDICAL INC.

BOUGHT BACK:
    NIO / AETERNA ZENTARIS INC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I had posted my feb progress in the share picks a few weeks back, probably better suited here -
    93e7f9695e9c4e09ea1aeed7b2153d5c.png

Now its end of March, it was like Fen that it was great in the middle but I effectively ended up back where I was.
    Thikn I'll just sell everything around 15th April and come back in at the beginning of May...
    d61c91a1e39f76a8630b5404f34af9f3.png

Got into a few stocks I wanted on the drop, then watched them drop more dragging me down.
    c2231cdc3f05bd42266729a948269c43.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

After being up 10% each in Jan and Feb, a 1% gain in March seems low but, considering I started the final day in the red, I'll take it! Overall up 23% for the quarter, mainly thanks to crypto. I don't have a graph

Bought (for first time):
    CPNG
    SE
    SMCI
    FCAC
    TDAC
    CMLF
    CCIV

Topped up:
    Z
    TSLA
    SQ
    JMIA
    ARKK
    ARKG

Sold:
    Nothing

Biggest winners:
    AESE +38%
    KROEF (KR1) +21%
    LYFT +13%

Biggest losers:
    Too many to list, majority of my individual stocks were down, with plenty down 10-20%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Pie charts are terrible way to display data, you should use a bar chart

Monthly Performance: -4.9% (S&P +0.4%)
    YTD Performance: +15.6%

Sales in month: Paypal (it's got too big for my liking, tough to see it doubling from here)
    Purchases: Cielo Waste Management and Dario Health (two speculative small caps)

• Advertisement

End March Update

Overall ↑ 3.61% for March

Week By Week
    • Week 1 = -0.95%
    • Week 2 = +4.5%
    • Week 3 = -0.10%
    • Week 4 = -0.16%

March Buys
    - VOL3 (New Addition)
    - PYPL (New Addition)
    - TSLA (New Addition)
    - NVDA (Bought More)
    - BEPC (Bought More)
    - APPL (Bought More)
    - BRK (Bought More)
    - DDDD(Bought More)
    - MSFT (Bought More)
    - GOOG (Bought More)

March Sells
    - IAG (Exited)
    - SKLZ (Exited)
    - GAN (Exited)
    - SHELL (Halved position)
    - CRM (Sold 33%, to reduce cgt, Bought some at height)

(Bought and sold both AMZN & COST. Sold them in same month too)

Monthly Top 5
    1. Volkswagon ↑ 24%
    2. Tesla ↑ 16%
    3. Brookfield ↑ 15%
    4. Fortinet ↑ 15%
    5. Nvidia ↑ 12%

Monthly Bottom 5
    1. Shell ↓ 9%
    2. Mode ↓ 3%
    3. LiveNation ↓ 3%
    4. 4d Pharma ↓ 2%
    5. Paypal ↓ 2%

NZ8TRBf

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Monthly Performance: -4.9% (S&P +0.4%)
    YTD Performance: +15.6%

S&P500 rose a lot more than 0.4%, by my calculations more in the 2%+ range? Nasdaq relatively flat. Sorry to make you feel worse ;)

jams100 wrote: »
    S&P500 rose a lot more than 0.4%, by my calculations more in the 2%+ range? Nasdaq relatively flat. Sorry to make you feel worse ;)
    Sorry, you're right, had the decimal point in the wrong place, it was +4%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Pussyhands wrote: »

Depends what you're going for IMO. If you're just looking for solid place to put your money, yeah 15-20 is plenty.

If you're looking for some moonshots, I think its more acceptale to spread yourself thinner, with the hope that you'll strike gold with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

What pitiful returns. You lads need to look at the crypto market! Riskier but potential is vast.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Depends what you're going for IMO. If you're just looking for solid place to put your money, yeah 15-20 is plenty.

If you're looking for some moonshots, I think its more acceptale to spread yourself thinner, with the hope that you'll strike gold with one.

It's the opposite with more stocks.

Less chance of making it big because each % is so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Jackben75 wrote: »
    What pitiful returns. You lads need to look at the crypto market! Riskier but potential is vast.

If you do a similar thread for your crypto investments I'd read it. But would say the returns in this thread aren't too bad versus the risk. Crypto thread would be cool though.

So Shedite27's 15% return YTD is pitiful? & a 3.6% return in a month is pitiful? :pac::pac::pac:
    30 stocks is far too high.
    I hold 40 but 6 of these are paying a 7-10%+ stable dividend so no point in disposing just of these just for the sake of it.

15ish are core holdings (Ones I'd probably only add to).

Other 15 are riskier growth stocks or reasonably valued consumer discretionary to stabilise portfolio and also return a ~3-4% dividend.

I have 5 that I have earmarked for selling but only when I feel I think to raise cash.

(I don't agree 30 is far too high), I actually think 30 is a good number to land on.

So Shedite27's 15% return YTD is pitiful? & a 3.6% return in a month is pitiful? :pac::pac::pac:

I hold 40 but 6 of these are paying a 7-10%+ stable dividend so no point in disposing just of these just for the sake of it.

Other 15 are riskier growth stocks or reasonably valued consumer discretionary to stabilise portfolio and also return a ~3-4% dividend.

I have 5 that I have earmarked for selling but only when I feel I think to raise cash.

(I don't agree 30 is far too high), I actually think 30 is a good number to land on.

I would say it's highly improbable someone with 30 stocks has done in depth analysis and is able to keep up with 30 stocks

10-12 stocks you know well and really believe in is enough diversification imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm in it to beat inflation and deposit rates. A mix of solid dividend payers, companies that I know more about due to my work (tech) and a few punts based on what I've read online or here. I'll admit that I do not do full due diligence on some of them, but the fact I am rarely investing more than 5% in anything mitigates the risk there.
    If one of them goes to the moon then great, but I'm at ~25% gain after 3 and a half years so am more than happy with that, better than leaving sitting in a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

How much do you make and invest each month.

What are you gains?

retalivity wrote: »
    I'm in it to beat inflation and deposit rates. A mix of solid dividend payers, companies that I know more about due to my work (tech) and a few punts based on what I've read online or here. I'll admit that I do not do full due diligence on some of them, but the fact I am rarely investing more than 5% in anything mitigates the risk there.
    If one of them goes to the moon then great, but I'm at ~25% gain after 3 and a half years so am more than happy with that, better than leaving sitting in a bank.

The S&P is up 60% in 3.5 years and that doesn't even include dividends.

You're talking about something mooning, are you investing or looking for one to moon and carry you?

A small part of a portfolio mooning makes little difference overall.

Fair play and all that. However this year alone i invested in 5 crypto projects, the worst performing has returned 6X and the best performing project has returned 43X. Taking profits along the way and reinvesting. Confident the bull market continues well into next year, Coinbase being officially listed in the coming weeks, potential is enormous. Best decision i ever made!! Just saying....but good luck, perhaps it was disrespectful to comment on this thread so sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

After all the 2020 madness has taken a rest at least, yep the long term game beats any sort of short term small moonshots, I'm well happy that I'm still nearly 100% up in a year, including everything like crypto, however I absolutely know that cannot continue, but if you put like 100k into the stockmarket today, and add nothing more, at a steady 10% compound interest return after 24yrs thats turned into a million, give me that sort of steady wealth generation anyyear over hoping for crypto moonshots.

And on the comment that them returns are pitiful compared to crypto, I put a reasonable sum into crypto last summer, and saw a fairly quick 40% drawdown in October then, that was painful, the only reason I stuck it out was because I definitely wasn't gonna risk selling at the bottom like I had in stocks last March, anyways that crypto has gone about 4.5x for me since, but I know full well a 50%+ dip can be around any corner, so use crypto as part of a diverse portfolio, and for the love of God have some humility in times of a bull market like crypto is in now, I think we can all agree that luck has played a huge part for everyone who has entered either the stockmarket or crypto since last March.

Timmaay wrote: »
    After all the 2020 madness has taken a rest at least, yep the long term game beats any sort of short term small moonshots, I'm well happy that I'm still nearly 100% up in a year, including everything like crypto, however I absolutely know that cannot continue, but if you put like 100k into the stockmarket today, and add nothing more, at a steady 10% compound interest return after 24yrs thats turned into a million, give me that sort of steady wealth generation anyyear over hoping for crypto moonshots.

And on the comment that them returns are pitiful compared to crypto, I put a reasonable sum into crypto last summer, and saw a fairly quick 40% drawdown in October then, that was painful, the only reason I stuck it out was because I definitely wasn't gonna risk selling at the bottom like I had in stocks last March, anyways that crypto has gone about 4.5x for me since, but I know full well a 50%+ dip can be around any corner, so use crypto as part of a diverse portfolio, and for the love of God have some humility in times of a bull market like crypto is in now, I think we can all agree that luck has played a huge part for everyone who has entered either the stockmarket or crypto since last March.

True but the crypto market is young, very volatile but personally i feel the next decade will be the golden period of it, it is becoming more and more mainstream. The risk is very much worth taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

True but the crypto market is young, very volatile but personally i feel the next decade will be the golden period of it, it is becoming more and more mainstream. The risk is very much worth taking.

What Crypto are you in if you don't mind me asking? How and where do you do your research on picks?

I started investing 2 months ago, 75% stocks and 25% crypto roughly. Crypto up around 35% and stock portfolio down around 10% since then.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    It's the opposite with more stocks.

Less chance of making it big because each % is so small.
    I know the point you're getting at, if a stock takes off you want it to be meaningful. I understand that with a mid/large cap.

With small/micro caps, they're such long shots, if you only had 10, you could have a high chance of losing with all 10.

Fair play and all that. However this year alone i invested in 5 crypto projects, the worst performing has returned 6X and the best performing project has returned 43X. Taking profits along the way and reinvesting. Confident the bull market continues well into next year, Coinbase being officially listed in the coming weeks, potential is enormous. Best decision i ever made!! Just saying....but good luck, perhaps it was disrespectful to comment on this thread so sorry about that.
    Crypto is on a run for sure, most of my returns this year have been via Bitcoin, Argo or KR1. I'm probably 30% in Crypto projects. Prefer a more balanced approach tho, crypto isn't gonna run like this forever

• Advertisement

Kilough wrote: »
    What Crypto are you in if you don't mind me asking? How and where do you do your research on picks?

I started investing 2 months ago, 75% stocks and 25% crypto roughly. Crypto up around 35% and stock portfolio down around 10% since then.

Personally stayed in top projects, Polkadot appears a gem, so i have a substantial amount invested, this of course is my opinion and not financial advice! The next ethereum, well on the way to surpassing my top gain, got in relatively early too.:pac:

I like a few others but won't go into the detail as i agree, do your own research. I am a software architect by day so i understand a lot of the whitepapers handy enough. My approach: find a project, CHECK Market capt and circulating supply (lower the better) check out the team (website), no team, no deal, anonymous team even worse!. Read the whitepaper, if i like, continue. Check out the code base, then compare against other similar projects as best you can. hTat is more or less it.

Coinmarket cap and coingecko is where i start, keep an eye on reddit, medium etc.

Advertisement