Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top young front rows in Ireland(Hooker)

• 30-01-2021 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

1. Ronan Kelleher(23/Leinster)
    2. Tom Stewart(20/Ulster)
    3. Dan Sheehan(22/Leinster)
    4. Dylan Tierney Martin(21/Connacht)
    5. Diarmuid Barron(22/Munster)

Stewart has potential to be challenge Kelleher for his ireland position. Sheehan has gone off the boil a bit since his impressive debut. DTM hasn't progressed as quickly as his U20 performances suggested he might.

Other contracted hookers:
    Eoghan Clarke(22/Munster)
    John McKee(20/Leinster)
    Scott Buckely(20/Munster)
    James McCormack(19/Ulster)
    Eoin De Buitlear(19/Connacht)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Could definitely see Stewart getting an Irish cap by the end of the year, seems to be a potential star in the making.

I do also like the look of Scott Buckley and the fact Munster were so picky this year in their academy intake and still picked him probably tells us what they think of him.

Of the others I do like Barron but he has made as much progress as I’d hoped he would have at this stage of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭launish116

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Could definitely see Stewart getting an Irish cap by the end of the year, seems to be a potential star in the making.

I do also like the look of Scott Buckley and the fact Munster were so picky this year in their academy intake and still picked him probably tells us what they think of him.

All for hyping a up and coming young player, but with a serious injury to recover from and not even a senior Ulster cap yet, this hold our horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

launish116 wrote: »
    All for hyping a up and coming young player, but with a serious injury to recover from and not even a senior Ulster cap yet, this hold our horses.

yeah i'd say theres no hope of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ah I don't know about him getting capped before the end of the year. He is only 19 (maybe just turned 20) and hasn't even played for Ulster yet! But he has massive potential.

• Advertisement

I’m not saying he WILL I’m saying he COULD. Hooker is a position really wide open, if he gets fit and has a strong start to the season with Ulster you could see him maybe sneaking a cap v a tier 2 nation at the end of the year.

If we were talking about most other positions I would say probably not but hooker is a position that if someone is playing out of their skin and especially if they are only 20 they have a chance of sneaking into a squad and from there who knows what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭launish116

I’m not saying he WILL I’m saying he COULD. Hooker is a position really wide open, if he gets fit and has a strong start to the season with Ulster you could see him maybe sneaking a cap v a tier 2 nation at the end of the year.

If we were talking about most other positions I would say probably not but hooker is a position that if someone is playing out of their skin and especially if they are only 20 they have a chance of sneaking into a squad and from there who knows what will happen.

Could also be looking at a O’Sullivan, Stewart, O’Toole bench for Ireland initially in a season or two. Definitely helps his chances playing week in week out with same props. Hopefully next season he’ll get a good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Hooker is absolutely awful in Ireland atm.

Herring is doing a job at 2, an okay one.
    Kelleher is struggling to hit his darts, and besides scoring lots of tries for Leinster against poor teams, he hasn't really pushed on to the next level.
    Heffernan is not at the races in Ireland scale of things.
    Cronin is well past it internationally.
    Tracy nowhere near.
    KOB can play a bit but is light for top level and can't see him kicking on.
    Niall Scannell had an open goal to get the Irish 2 jersey and now is struggling to even make the Munster team.
    I like Rhys Marshall, he's IQ I think but darts against Leinster were offensively bad.

We really need a DTM or a Sheehan, or Stewart to come good over the next few years, or we are in trouble. I don't think Lee Barron has shown he is going to be a top player yet, but will be great to see him at 20's.

So you are writing Kelleher off? Seems a tad premature.

Hooker is absolutely awful in Ireland atm.

Herring is doing a job at 2, an okay one.
    Kelleher is struggling to hit his darts, and besides scoring lots of tries for Leinster against poor teams, he hasn't really pushed on to the next level.
    Heffernan is not at the races in Ireland scale of things.
    Cronin is well past it internationally.
    Tracy nowhere near.
    KOB can play a bit but is light for top level and can't see him kicking on.
    Niall Scannell had an open goal to get the Irish 2 jersey and now is struggling to even make the Munster team.
    I like Rhys Marshall, he's IQ I think but darts against Leinster were offensively bad.

We really need a DTM or a Sheehan, or Stewart to come good over the next few years, or we are in trouble. I don't think Lee Barron has shown he is going to be a top player yet, but will be great to see him at 20's.

They should all look to move to Bristol, that seems to magically fix their lineout throwing...

• Advertisement

They should all look to move to Bristol, that seems to magically fix their lineout throwing...

you keep going on about this without actually saying what you think the difference is.. are all the provinces not coaching the lineout? are bristol doing something different? what is your theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,123 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Hooker is a problem though, isn't it. None of our lads look international standard. Herring is the best we have. Kelleher is a mixed bag. I don't think he's good enough yet. Scannell hasn't taken any of the chances he was given. Hopefully, Stewart, Sheehan and Tierney can make strides. Our current crop look very underwhelming.

Top underage hookers:

1. Tom Stewart(U20/Ulster)
    2. Lee Barron(U20/Leinster)
    3. James McCormack(U19/Ulster)
    4. Eoin De Buitlear(U20/Connacht)
    5. Ronan Loughnane(U20/Leinster)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

bayern wrote: »
    So you are writing Kelleher off? Seems a tad premature.

Absolutely not, but he's not the answer to our problems yet. Nothing wrong with that, but no point in saying he's nailed on starter when he didn't start against Munster for example behind an aging Cronin.

Not sure what your issue is with what I said about Bryan Byrne but take a day off. There was a reason he got let go by Leinster. His throwing was a subpar part of his game, but it's now evident he's worked on it and it's going well at the moment. Delighted it's working out for him at Bristol.

Absolutely not, but he's not the answer to our problems yet. Nothing wrong with that, but no point in saying he's nailed on starter when he didn't start against Munster for example behind an aging Cronin.

Not sure what your issue is with what I said about Bryan Byrne but take a day off. There was a reason he got let go by Leinster. His throwing was a subpar part of his game, but it's now evident he's worked on it and it's going well at the moment. Delighted it's working out for him at Bristol.

Ask yourself what’s the common denominator when all the hookers at Leinster supposedly have problems with their throwing yet as soon as one leaves all of a sudden his throwing is perfectly fine to the point he’s nailed down first choice hooker for a top premiership side?

It’s probably just a coincidence though I’m sure!!!!

Ask yourself what’s the common denominator when all the hookers at Leinster supposedly have problems with their throwing yet as soon as one leaves all of a sudden his throwing is perfectly fine to the point he’s nailed down first choice hooker for a top premiership side?

It’s probably just a coincidence though I’m sure!!!!

again with the vagueness.. what is your theory?

Leinster don't coach hookers how to throw?
    Leinster don't practice lineouts?

What?

again with the vagueness.. what is your theory?

Leinster don't coach hookers how to throw?
    Leinster don't practice lineouts?

What?

Well answer that question yourself

All hookers Leinster have seen to have problems with their throwing and as soon as one leaves those problems are magically fixed...

When ALL the hookers appear to have the same issue that should tell you the issue probably has more to it than just the players ability? Bryan Byrne leaving and then having that issue solved should confirm that surely?

Well answer that question yourself

All hookers Leinster have seen to have problems with their throwing and as soon as one leaves those problems are magically fixed...

When ALL the hookers appear to have the same issue that should tell you the issue probably has more to it than just the players ability? Bryan Byrne leaving and then having that issue solved should confirm that surely?

again with the non-answer. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why you are so afraid to just state your theory as to what is going on with Leinster's hookers.

You obviously seem to think there's an issue with coaching of the lineout, even if you won't come out and say it plainly.

again with the non-answer. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why you are so afraid to just state your theory as to what is going on with Leinster's hookers.

You obviously seem to think there's an issue with coaching of the lineout, even if you won't come out and say it plainly.

I’m prompting you to go and do your own research, it’s no good me telling you the answer as you’ll just forget.

Well...do you want me to spell it out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

I’m prompting you to go and do your own research, it’s no good me telling you the answer as you’ll just forget.

Well...do you want me to spell it out for you?

Jesus Christ, this line of discussion is so pointless. You're like a 5G conspiracy theorist with this. What's the research here? Go watch a bunch of deep state YouTube videos where Leo Auva'a spills the beans on the toxic latex George Soros supplies to Gilbert, causing crooked lineout throws? What "research" have you done on this?

If you want a discussion, put forward your point of view.

• Advertisement

Serbian wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, this line of discussion is so pointless. You're like a 5G conspiracy theorist with this. What's the research here? Go watch a bunch of deep state YouTube videos where Leo Auva'a spills the beans on the toxic latex George Soros supplies to Gilbert, causing crooked lineout throws? What "research" have you done on this?

If you want a discussion, put forward your point of view.

What are you talking about?!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What are you talking about?!

He's taking about the bollox that you are spewing.

If you have a point to make about how the leinster hookers are coached (or not coached).... Then make the bloody point and less of this 'publius enigma' crap that you are spamming

sydthebeat wrote: »
    He's taking about the bollox that you are spewing.

If you have a point to make about how the leinster hookers are coached (or not coached).... Then make the bloody point and less of this 'publius enigma' crap that you are spamming

I clearly have made the point, I don’t know how much clearer it needs to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I clearly have made the point, I don’t know how much clearer it needs to be...

Your point is either:

1) You don't think Leinster have the right coaching structure for hookers.

2) You think Leinster based hookers are actively sabotaged in their development so they will move elsewhere.

Honestly mate. Grow up a bit. It's clear people needed a bit of clarity - including me. Why get defensive?

I think he thinks Leinster don't practice lineouts, of course if he just said it plainly it would clear up the confusion and his point could be discussed, instead the roundabout of vagueness.

Your point is either:

1) You don't think Leinster have the right coaching structure for hookers.

2) You think Leinster based hookers are actively sabotaged in their development so they will move elsewhere.

Honestly mate. Grow up a bit. It's clear people needed a bit of clarity - including me. Why get defensive?

If they were actively sabotaged why is Bryan Byrne able to throw just fine now that he’s at Bristol? It’s quite clear what I’m getting at so instead of derailing the thread just get to the point.

I think he thinks Leinster don't practice lineouts, of course if he just said it plainly it would clear up the confusion and his point could be discussed, instead the roundabout of vagueness.

Took you long enough.

Took you long enough.

MeanWaryBorderterrier-small.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

If they were actively sabotaged why is Bryan Byrne able to throw just fine now that he’s at Bristol? It’s quite clear what I’m getting at so instead of derailing the thread just get to the point.

Good lord. It's not even the first time you've done this

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

leinster dont practise lineouts...... ????

tumblr_inline_mrtb6prsJp1qz4rgp.gif

Advertisement