Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anyone here tried Emma Original Mattress?

• 31-12-2020 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am doing some research on mattresses online and Emma seems to be there on everyone's list. So, was wondering if it's really worth the money or is it just a marketing gimmick?

I am looking for a firm king-size mattress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Bear in mind, buying online you will have to dispose of your old mattress yourself. If you buy from a bricks and mortar shop at least they'll take the old mattress away for you for a few extra quid when they deliver the new one.

I have nothing to back this up, but I honestly think a lot of the Emma reviews are shill reviews as part of an aggressive advertising campaign. Of course there will be people who have bought it, and loved it, but the reviews being so overwhelmingly positive, for the type of product that most people would never bother to write a review about in the first place, leaves me feeling something's not quite right.

It also seems expensive for a 'mattress in a box' (my general rule of thumb is if the mattress can be rolled up and fit in a box, it's not going to offer great long term support). It also seems to have perpetual 'sales' on it.

For what it's worth, I used to work in a shop that sold mattresses. If you're looking for a good, firm mattress, the Respa Back Care Supreme is amazing. I'm about 21 stone, and I've been using it for about 5 years, and it still seems brand new in every way. As far as Respa mattresses go, it's not the cheapest, but a 5ft is still cheaper than the Emma.

It is a very firm mattress though.

My honest advice would be to spend some time wandering around shops. I'm not sure how covid affects mattresses, but I wouldn't like to buy a mattress without having had the chance to lie on it, first. I find mattresses that are too soft can be a bit uncomfortable, and take too long to adapt to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 googleewrewr

I have nothing to back this up, but I honestly think a lot of the Emma reviews are shill reviews as part of an aggressive advertising campaign. Of course there will be people who have bought it, and loved it, but the reviews being so overwhelmingly positive, for the type of product that most people would never bother to write a review about in the first place, leaves me feeling something's not quite right.

It also seems expensive for a 'mattress in a box' (my general rule of thumb is if the mattress can be rolled up and fit in a box, it's not going to offer great long term support). It also seems to have perpetual 'sales' on it.

For what it's worth, I used to work in a shop that sold mattresses. If you're looking for a good, firm mattress, the Respa Back Care Supreme is amazing. I'm about 21 stone, and I've been using it for about 5 years, and it still seems brand new in every way. As far as Respa mattresses go, it's not the cheapest, but a 5ft is still cheaper than the Emma.

It is a very firm mattress though.

My honest advice would be to spend some time wandering around shops. I'm not sure how covid affects mattresses, but I wouldn't like to buy a mattress without having had the chance to lie on it, first. I find mattresses that are too soft can be a bit uncomfortable, and take too long to adapt to.

yea, I doubt that too. But as Emma is a global brand selling in various countries, I thought I would give it a try. Also, they were giving 50% off and 200 days trial so, I went ahead and ordered. Let's see.

I need a firm mattress too. My back hurts on soft mattress. If I don't like it, I will return it and get a respa or mlily or something. They have pocket springs + memory foam. So, I think they will be more durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

I bought one about 6 months ago. It took a long time to get a decent nights sleep - somewhere in or around 12 weeks. It’s a different experience to a sprung mattress but once you get used to it it’s grand.

I think the value is reasonable and I imagine it’ll last longer than a sprung mattress. Both of my parents have a mattress from a box (although not an Emma) for over 15 years with no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I've put these into a airbnb holiday rental.

Primary reason was that I could fit four of them into the back of a suv :D:D
    You can also wash the cover.

Also price was good and it's a good brand name that is recognised and thus I am able to charge a little more than other holiday homes in the development.

We use the house ourselves in the off season so have used them myself.

General feedback is extremely good from guests who consistently mention the mattresses and their comfort.

But like the op, I love a firm mattress while herself likes a bit of softness. Herself swears by them, but I'm not overly fond of it and much prefer an ikea pocket sprung mattress we use at home.

So, definitely not a 'gimmick', but they are artificially priced to allow a large discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

interesting article from ft “wild west of mattress review sites”
    https://www.ft.com/content/7b8945da-310a-11e9-ba00-0251022932c8

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I hated it. And it was an awful process to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

I too was nearly swayed by the reviews. Id say it is the best for a guest bed or if you sleep on your own but according to the proper reviews, is soft, has bad edge support, your partner will feel you moving around, doesnt have any springs, and one of the main youtube reviews the person has it 10 months and theres a serious sag evident. There are other really popular mattress in a box uk companies like Ottly but Im going to go for something coils and a latex or memory foam top Sealy Nostromo seems the best, maybe there is an Irish equivalent. I like the idea or Respa but their naming convention of mattresses is beyond confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Mattress in a box = bad
    Use this saying to guide you through life...... When buying a mattress especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SherJ81

I am doing some research on mattresses online and Emma seems to be there on everyone's list. So, was wondering if it's really worth the money or is it just a marketing gimmick?

I am looking for a firm king-size mattress.

A mattress is one of the most important investments you can make, so my advice is go to a shop and try out the mattresses for yourself. You don't want to pay a lot for one online and then discover it is not comfortable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 googleewrewr

I hated it. And it was an awful process to return it.

May I ask why you hated it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Not Emma, but have used a different online mattress in a box company about 5 years ago. Used it for about 2 months and ended up returning it. Never really got used to the foam. And I realised since, that if I did get used to sleeping on foam, I'd then have trouble every time I had to sleep somewhere else on a sprung mattress.

Ended up spending more and going for a pocket sprung mattress from these guys:
    https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/

Five years and two house moves on, and it's held up really well. Don't know if Brexit has complicated ordering from them or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

We tried multiple mattresses in a box when we moved into a new place a while back. We were after a super king and was not confident we could fit a standard one up the stairs.

We tried:
    Otty
    Emma
    Casper
    Eve

We settled on the eve mostly as covid came and even though they extended the trial we where both sleeping ok. Looking back also the Otty was good but took a couple of months. The Caspar actually hurt my back/neck so that was why it went back. They have subsequently pulled out of the UK market

The Emma I cant recall specific issues other than we weren't particularly happy with it.

I'm in the UK so not sure it is different but it was a risk free exercise to try them as I saw it and no hassle with delivery/removals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

We have 2, find them fantastic and great value if you get the 40% off deals. They are very highly rated by Which magazine whe test everything very thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

VANG1 wrote: »
    We have 2, find them fantastic and great value if you get the 40% off deals. They are very highly rated by Which magazine whe test everything very thoroughly.

They seem to always have discounts between 35% and 45%. So your 40% is fairly standard.

In saying that, seems all mattresses are sold at constant discounts just like washing powder/tabs

But I agree, they are quite decent and are good value assuming you get 40% discount.

Advertisement