Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

February Running Challenge

Options
  • 01-02-2021 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

crisco10 may have a think about pushing the buggy for this one, although a buggy hardly fits into rule #1 :D Could be quite useful without E in it :pac:

Challenge #2: Elevation Challenge
    Gain the most vertical metres in the time allowed.
    Time allowed is your 10k or double your 5k rounded to nearest minute.

The Rules
    #1 Outdoors and no gym equipment like treadmills, jacobs ladder etc
    #2 Comply with the Lockdown (stay within 5k etc..)
    #3 Validated runs will rank above non validated.
    #4 Multiple attempts allowed
    #5 Dodgy superman/superwomen GPS readings will be judges decision
    #6 Elapsed time only. Even 1 second over your allotted time is a DQ. Strava has a tendency to add a second!

Take care and have fun :)

The following will have 1 bonus point added to their February points, if they complete the challenge :)
    37 Swashbuckler
    58 AGYR
    42 Murph_D
    45 ReeReeG
    40 shotgunmcos
    37 crisco10
    44 Laineyfrecks
    45 Omeceron
    58 Pheredykes
    55 BeginnerRunner
    42 mister paul
    47 eposhea
    34 omicron
    35 dna_leri
    58 Huzzah!
    39 Comic Book Guy
    40 OOnegative
    37 Dubh Geannain
    50 eyrie
    36 jamule
    40 Kander
    34 healy1835
    40 fletch
    48 En Passant
    35 Zico10
    36 Lambay Island
    45 Wubble Wubble
    54 skyblue46
    44 Kurt_Godel
    37 edinrunna

Rule #7? Finish at the top or bottom of your hill/climb? 23 votes

Top - A single continuous climb is allowed
    78% 18 votes
    Bottom - you need to do at least 1 full "rep" up and down
    21% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

One thing I debated a lot about this challenge was what if you happen to live at the foot of a mountain?

I thought about putting in an additional rule to level the playing field as inclusivity is one of the main goals of this challenge series. In the end I guess its the luck of the draw sometimes. Interested in thoughts on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

No 5k limit here so I take it I don’t have to abide by that rule?

OOnegative wrote: »
    No 5k limit here so I take it I don’t have to abide by that rule?

Correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Hmmmm... Bray head is about 175m up and takes 15-20 minutes to get to the top. If two climbs (or more) are completed in the allotted time period, does the total count?

Hmmmm... Bray head is about 175m up and takes 15-20 minutes to get to the top. If two climbs (or more) are completed in the allotted time period, does the total count?

This is exactly the debate I had. Yes it counts! Basically because you have to descend almost as much as you have to climb, its hill repeats.

• Advertisement

This is exactly the debate I had. Yes it counts! Basically because you have to descend almost as much as you have to climb, its hill repeats.

Hmmm there's also a nice little 800m 5% gradient hill on one of my regular routes. I also wonder if there's a shorter steeper part of the head more suitable to multiple quick climbs. I like this one. Lots of strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

I like this one too, at first glance it might favour someone living at the foot of Carrantuohill, but hill repeats on a steep road might work too and would offer some recovery...

Either way, lots to distract think about, should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Whohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Love it!

I like this one too, at first glance it might favour someone living at the foot of Carrantuohill, but hill repeats on a steep road might work too and would offer some recovery...

Either way, lots to distract think about, should be fun!

LOL you probably know best here and you have plenty of terrain to consider too!

Longer continuous climb will burn your quads and have you gasping at a high heart rate for longer. Shorter steeper reps will give you a chance to breathe but also tax the hamstrings :) Plenty of ways to skin a cat here

Either way... this is not an easy challenge :D

The lowlands of The Netherlands ain’t helping me on this one!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Looks like Skyblue and I will both be climbing Mount Finglas!

Murph_D wrote: »

:D Love it! Hand in hand until the final blood thirsty rep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Not exactly in the Rockies here myself...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

yeah, top of of Fairycastle is about 400m climb and 30 mins from my door so looks like a strong possibility for me.

But the idea of hill repeats is interesting. Would that be more efficent...I'm digging through my hill rep sessions and seeing what they look like.

Very tempted to a buggy effort and non-buggy effort.

Up and down the new cabra bridge a few times might be a good shout :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I was just going to say that. You can't even wade into the sea to get a decent negative elevation to start with because of Doggerland.

Trim poses it's own problems too. I think the max elevation I found on any of the hills I try is around 10 m or less.

I was just going to say that. You can't even wade into the sea to get a decent negative elevation to start with because of Doggerland.

Trim poses it's own problems too. I think the max elevation I found on any of the hills I try is around 10 m or less.

Off to the Hill of Tara with ya!!

Off to the Hill of Tara with ya!!

That's well outside 5 km.

I've been travelling a bit for work lately and grabbing some runs on my lunch break or just before hitting the road for home. It's not quite within the guidelines to do that but I'd argue it's safer for me as staying awake on long drive roundtrips is tough enough. But the runs can give me a good lift. I won't include any of those efforts here though and will respect the 5 km limit for this challenge.

That's well outside 5 km.

I've been travelling a bit for work lately and grabbing some runs on my lunch break or just before hitting the road for home. It's not quite within the guidelines to do that but I'd argue it's safer for me as staying awake on long drive roundtrips is tough enough. But the runs can give me a good lift. I won't include any of those efforts here though and will respect the 5 km limit for this challenge.

Ah forgot about the 5k issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Didn't you race (and place) in a 5k that seemed to be mostly climbing steps? Might be an option.

• Advertisement

crisco10 wrote: »
    But the idea of hill repeats is interesting. Would that be more efficent...I'm digging through my hill rep sessions and seeing what they look like.

Surely one continuous climb while maybe not as efficient will trump a 50/50 split between up and down. The average paces/distance covered will tell the story I suppose.

Didn't you race (and place) in a 5k that seemed to be mostly climbing steps? Might be an option.

All gone P, they were deemed to dangerous so they’re closed to public now.

Surely one continuous climb while maybe not as efficient will trump a 50/50 split between up and down. The average paces/distance covered will tell the story I suppose.

Yah unless your pace almost doubles as the time progresses then you'd have to say one long continuous climb, or close to it, is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Pyramid Church to the Met Office on repeat...:pac:

While I suspect you are correct, I'm still going to waste time figuring it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

crisco10 wrote: »
    While I suspect you are correct, I'm still going to waste time figuring it out.

If the short one is more than double the gradient of the long one its the best option. If its less then the long one probably wins out. This is dependent on equal pace of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eposhea

Oh Jesus - my legs are killing me at the thought of this challenge!

We'll all have stronger legs come March 1st. :D:pac:

skyblue46 wrote: »
    If the short one is more than double the gradient of the long one its the best option. If its less then the long one probably wins out. This is dependent on equal pace of course...

Didn't think of that. Very good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Simple, effective & painful :eek:

Howth head is within my 5 KM just about.

What do you think might be a good plan...Short and sharp with a lot of repeats on a steep area or a longer less steep continuous path?

• Advertisement

Kander wrote: »
    Simple, effective & painful :eek:

Howth head is within my 5 KM just about.

What do you think might be a good plan...Short and sharp with a lot of repeats on a steep area or a longer less steep continuous path?

Depending on the terrain available, I'm leaning toward the latter as more efficient and do able.

Just doing some back of the envelope sums and the hill reps session required to match a continuous (more gradual) ascent seem quite horrendous - for me anyway.

Advertisement