Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Asking for a friend - What Renault Zoe?

• 01-02-2021 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

A friend of ours who has paid off her 181 Nissan Micra SVE is strongly considering going for an EV and asked me for an advice...
    She looked at the Leaf, but it’s too big. She prefers small cars and the size of a Micra is the max size of a car she’d like to get.

We had a brief chat and Corsa-e has been ruled out. Peugeot e-208 might come into a conversation, but so far Renault Zoe seems to be the winner, especially the new model.

Could you help me understand better the difference between the models, please, so I can give a more informative advice
    Also what sort of real world range should be expected from the 50kwh version? Should the older version with 40kwh be ruled out?

I believe the Micra should attract at least €10-12k of a trade in value since it’s 181 with 83k kilometres on it. So buying new Zoe would be an option, but quite possibly 1 or 2 year old will make more sense financially.

Any input is welcome...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Davauer

309 km

Renault came second from bottom in the 2020 What Car? Reliability Survey, finishing above only 31st-placed Land Rover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Davauer wrote: »
    309 km

Renault came second from bottom in the 2020 What Car? Reliability Survey, finishing above only 31st-placed Land Rover

Why such reliability rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭zg3409

Most models are Max 22kW AC charging which is quite slow for long distance motorway charging. Other cars charge at 50kW.

On latest model CCS is an optional extra at time of ordering which would get you 50kW charging Some older rarer models gave a 'Q' motor and can charge at 43kW AC but discontinued now.

In general Zoe charges fast at the most common public charge points. (22kW vs 7kW most cars can take) but it often trips or won't charge, as in its very particular and some charge points other cars use OK, Zoe permanently refuses to charge on.

So charging rate is a big consideration if going for a Zoe, particularly if you want to go long distances and charge and wait mid trip. With a large 50kWh battery it could easily take 2 or 3 hours to fill right up again, as in 22kW per hour into a 50kWh battery is 2.2 hours with losses and slow diwn at end.

If buying new and intending public charging I would pay extra for CCS option, it will add value on resale too. Used cars is cheaper but Max 22kW AC charger would put me off unless you had a second car for longer trips.

A home charger is essential. Really you need to know daily commute round trip, typical odd long distance trip and what chargers they pass, and what options they have to use a different car for long trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭reboot

zg3409 wrote: »
    Most models are Max 22kW AC charging which is quite slow for long distance motorway charging. Other cars charge at 50kW.

On latest model CCS is an optional extra at time of ordering which would get you 50kW charging Some older rarer models gave a 'Q' motor and can charge at 43kW AC but discontinued now.

In general Zoe charges fast at the most common public charge points. (22kW vs 7kW most cars can take) but it often trips or won't charge, as in its very particular and some charge points other cars use OK, Zoe permanently refuses to charge on.

So charging rate is a big consideration if going for a Zoe, particularly if you want to go long distances and charge and wait mid trip. With a large 50kWh battery it could easily take 2 or 3 hours to fill right up again, as in 22kW per hour into a 50kWh battery is 2.2 hours with losses and slow diwn at end.

If buying new and intending public charging I would pay extra for CCS option, it will add value on resale too. Used cars is cheaper but Max 22kW AC charger would put me off unless you had a second car for longer trips.

A home charger is essential. Really you need to know daily commute round trip, typical odd long distance trip at what chargers they pass, and what options they have to use a different car for long trips.
    Charging
    I've been driving Zoe's for 7 years and find it's a good car, yes there's a few Buts coming.
    Some Leaf owners seem on occasions to criticise Zoe,and vice versa,almost to the point of EV wars.
    I stopped posting on boards for some years because of this
    Back to the Buts, Refusing to Charge will be a problem and you find yourself stuck in the middle between Renault and ESB. Real world range in Winter I believe may be around 160 miles on full charge.
    On the positive side at least the obligatory battery rental has gone,I paid £7 k for a battery I'll never own.
    I think there's a 5 year warranty on the new model. The car accepts AC charge only,but will avail from a fast Charge​,unlike the previous model.and will charge twice as fast as other cars,I won't mention.(don't mention the war.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was looking at a Zoe for the missus recently and there's a couple of things which I like a a few things that would give me pause

Pros:
    Decent range
    Good price
    Great AC charging (22kW)

Cons
    Fast charging is an extra, only on mid trims and higher
    Only 50kW DC charging, takes around 45 mins to get a good fast charge
    Dated design

My opinion is that the Zoe ZE50 is a great second car that's good for occasional long journeys. The DC charging speed is pretty slow for the battery size. I would say if it's between this and the Peugeot E-208, the 208 wins due to having 100kW charging for around the same price

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

I was looking at a Zoe for the missus recently and there's a couple of things which I like a a few things that would give me pause

Pros:
    Decent range
    Good price
    Great AC charging (22kW)

Cons
    Fast charging is an extra, only on mid trims and higher
    Only 50kW DC charging, takes around 45 mins to get a good fast charge
    Dated design

My opinion is that the Zoe ZE50 is a great second car that's good for occasional long journeys. The DC charging speed is pretty slow for the battery size. I would say if it's between this and the Peugeot E-208, the 208 wins due to having 100kW charging for around the same price

My pick would be the Peugeot if she’s to go new, but she likes the Renault and at the end of the day that’s for her to decide. It would be her main car so it’s got be DC charge capable. She’s in a rented property, waiting on a decision to buy a house. It could be a pain if the owner refuses to allow a home charger to be installed. There are 2 SCP and 1 DC ESB chargers in close proximity, so that might be a solution for some time...
    I’d certainly recommend her the 50kwh newer model over the 40kwh, and buying a second hand might be an option too as they are fairly new with low mileage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

A girly car like the mini?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

kanuseeme wrote: »

Are you looking for The Gentlemen's Club

• Registered Users Posts: 33,366 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Davauer wrote: »
    309 km

Where did the Zoe come on the reliability rating which you haven't linked to btw.

kanuseeme wrote: »

She is an amazing woman who’s close enough to getting retired, so I’d say it is a bit late for a Mini :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

peposhi wrote: »
    She is an amazing woman who’s close enough to getting retired, so I’d say it is a bit late for a Mini :D

One thing I'd say about the electric mini, it's not a soft car to drive at all. They've changed a lot in the last 20 years. So yeah, I probably wouldn't recommend one for an elderly person.

Advertisement