Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Running Challenge

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

eyrie wrote: »
    In fairness, only running the 30 min version means my 8 seconds over is really the equivalent of 16 seconds for someone running 60 mins if you take it as a percentage margin of error. So I would have no issue with mine being doubled!

Fair enough. It would drop BeginnerRunner of joint top spot though and more importantly It was not part of the rules. 30min was an option to make it more inclusive. Its one of the harder parts of challenge ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Fair enough. It would drop BeginnerRunner of joint top spot though and more importantly It was not part of the rules. 30min was an option to make it more inclusive. Its one of the harder parts of challenge ideas.

I'm happy to take that bullet.

Did the 5km on a technicality anyway since even tho I'm "new" to running I can drag myself around 10km easily enough.

I'm happy to take that bullet.

Did the 5km on a technicality anyway since even tho I'm "new" to running I can drag myself around 10km easily enough.

Thanks but sticking to the rules. Tomorrow is another day, another month, another challenge, another chance..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Tomorrow is another day, another month, another challenge, another chance..

Thank god for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Stick me down for 54 please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

24 seconds out and I'm in the bottom half. Dearie me.

Right beside you :)

I gave it another go on Thursday and was miles out from it. I was thinking way too much during it...did i stop here last time....is the wind in my face more...did this hill get hillier?

Oh well :) looking forward to Feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Hey P, welcome! Thanks for participating. I see you are still doing the FastLane. Cool to have that with the Lockdown :cool:

Yeah its been a godsend. As much for mental health as physical. Doesn't look like there will be any galas this year, but I'm hoping to start getting into the sea again in March. Fingers crossed.

As I can double my score with the bonus point (!) put me down for 44mins for the Feb challenge, please and thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭crisco10

Loved this challenge. I assume the February challenge will be announced at midnight tonight.

I'll be eagerly wearing out F5 anyway. About the most action refresh will have gotten since precovid ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭edinrunna

Never managed to attempt this one, I was sticking fairly rigidly to a routine for once and then got injured! Hopefully be able to try February, Last 5k was time doubled plus 1 gives me 37, in with some fast company on that number but maybe that won't be something that'll have much bearing on the challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Yeh agree with a few others - cool challenge. I will probably incorporate a regular easy run watchless as found the freedom enjoyable. I put the watch on the right wrist with alerts off and covered it with sleeve. I'm glad I did as subconsciously I looked down at empty left wrist at least twice.

• Advertisement

So, thats a wrap for the January Challenge. I've checked Strava to see if there were any late evening attempts. I'll update the final table if any come in but I'm not re-publishing it. Its a fair bit of work to maintain :cool:

Congrats to Omeceron and BegginnerRunner, provisionally, for winning this months challenge :)

Thank you to everyone who participated and made it a bit of fun in what was a pretty glum January. I am an advocate of HR and RPE training and its great to read a few that have recognized the benefit and may keep it going. Thats awesome :)

Its also great that we have a good interest in going for another monthly Challenge tomorrow :D The final table is below and it will carry forward to February. There is still time to submit a number for a February bonus point. Considering how close this challenge became it might come in handy.

January Challenge Final Table

Position|Runner|Jan Result|Points
    1|Omeceron| -1sec|20
    1|BeginnerRunner| -1sec|20
    3|fletch| -5sec|19
    4|crisco10|-8sec|18
    4|Swashbuckler| +8sec|18
    4|Murph_D| -8sec|18
    4|healy1835| -8sec|18
    4|eyrie| +8sec|18
    9|Unknown Unthought| -10sec|17
    10|shotgunmcos| +13sec|16
    11|jamule|+15sec|15
    12|Lambay Island| -16sec|14
    13|Dudda| +17sec|13
    14|mister paul| -18sec|12
    15|Comic Book Guy| +23sec|11
    16|Kander| -24sec|10
    16|Wubble Wubble| +24sec|10
    18|Annie get your Run| +26sec|9
    19|skyblue46| +43sec|8
    20|En Passant| -44sec|7
    21|omicron| +49sec|6
    22|ReeReeG |-58sec|5
    23|dna_leri |-65sec|4
    24|Huzzah |+71sec|3
    25|Dubh Geannain| +79sec|2
    26|Zico10| +96sec|1
    27|Laineyfrecks| -126sec|1
    28|Pheredykes |-158sec|1
    29|Kurt_Godel|-181sec|1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I am an advocate of HR and RPE training and its great to read a few that have recognized the benefit and may keep it going.

Does this mean that any runs with only HR showing are valid attempts? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eposhea

Went out yesterday to give this a shot - and completely forgot to NOT look at the watch and stopped it - so that was over!

Thank for organising - looking forward to the Feb one!

https://www.strava.com/activities/4709522829#kudos

Advertisement