Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Necro Presents - Album Walrus REVEAL THREAD

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    In THIRD place in this category and amassing 20 points overall

A Flash Flood of Colour - Enter Shikari

Electric Nitwit!

Third round was a charm after the first two didn't hit the target, we will get there eventually. ;) Thanks for the entries!
    tumblr_lxyd0cIHVv1qd8t4mo1_500.gif

The lads are delighted with that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

tumblr_lxyd0cIHVv1qd8t4mo1_500.gif

The lads are delighted with that :D
    Weren't they the first band ever to make it big without a record company?
    Did it all themselves online.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In Second Place with 13 points in this category - and hitting 31 overall making them the new outright leader....

Power Up - AC/DC

the purple tin!

Table topping in Round 1, second place in Round 3, the dip in Round 2 was the only thing that prevented you from total dominance :D

In FIRST place for this category and with 31 points overall as well....

Gigaton - Pearl Jam

Trigger!!

Loved this album. Round 1 was a bit of a safe choice which hurt the placement mind and Round 2 was a mixed bag with some amazing highs but also some awful filler... but this is a great album in Round 3 and deserves top spot imo.

Weren't they the first band ever to make it big without a record company?
    Did it all themselves online.
    Not sure if they were first but yeah, they were selling out decent size venues before they got a record label. Their fans are very, very loyal! It's a great fanbase, their gigs are proper chaos, massive moshpits etc but really feels like everyone's on the same team, looking out for each other, it's great

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So Trigger and the purple tin now share top spot with two reveals left...

RasTa
    Kolido

Let's just go for it

In last place in this round and amassing 8 points overall....

Run The Jewels 2

RasTa

Apologies about the scoring, none of the albums unfortunately spoke to me. But thank you for playing..

Meaning that in 6th place, with 9 points and amassing 32 points in total....

X - Ed Sheeran

Making them the overall winner of Album Walrus....

KOLIDO

Top entries, Bon Jovi, Footloose (though slightly overshadowed by Saturday Night Fever) and a surprise to me anyways in Ed Sheeran. Consistency was the key to victory it seems.

Scoring tables for Round 3:

Position 2010s Points
    1st Gigaton - Pearl Jam 14
    2nd Power Up - AC/DC 13
    3rd A Flash Flood of Colour - Enter Shikari 12
    4th Body Talk - Robyn 11
    5th Ben Bohmer - Live at Anjunadeep Printworks 10
    6th X - Ed Sheeran 9
    7th Days Are Gone - HAIM 8
    8th 25 - Adele 7
    9th Savage (Songs From a Broken World) - Gary Numan 6
    10th Arcade Fire - The Suburbs 5
    11th What's Your Pleasure? - Jessie Ware 4
    12th My Indigo - My Indigo 3
    13th Hippopotamus - Sparks 2
    14th Run The Jewels 2 1

And overall:

Player Name Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Total Score
    Trigger 11 6 14 31
    LeVar 6 13 8 27
    Irish Aris 4 1 6 11
    the purple tin 14 4 13 31
    Sawduck 9 12 2 23
    JP Liz V1 2 10 7 19
    Kolido 12 11 9 32
    ShaneU 6.5 14 4 24.5
    Electric Nitwit 3 5 12 20
    cee_jay 8 8 11 27
    RasTa 5 2 1 8
    mustang shelly 7 3 3 13
    Zaph 6.5 9 5 20.5
    Rikand 10 7 10 27

Congrats to Kolido and the rest of the podium. Very much enjoyed running this, although it was a lot more time consuming than I initially expected.

It was very close in the end with only a point in it at the top and Trigger and the purple tin back on 31 points, with cee_jay, Rikand and LeVar not far off either.

Thanks for playing again everyone and all the comments during the reveal :)

• Advertisement

Well played Kol!
    I agree with Necro, wouldn't really like Ed Sheeran but that was the only CD we had for a road trip in Croatia so listened to it a lot and it is very good

Good work Necro, loved the reveals, nice format and style. Delighted you liked Enter Shikari, they're probably in my top three favourite bands. Fair play, lot of work there, hope you enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Well done there Kol, a nailbiting finish.

Thanks much Necs.

Long live the album :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Congrats Kol. Well played.

Great game Necro, thanks for running it. Hope you enjoyed the experience.

Any advice or tips for anyone considering running their own Album Walrus, compared to the regular Walrus?

Congrats Kol. Well played.

Great game Necro, thanks for running it. Hope you enjoyed the experience.

Any advice or tips for anyone considering running their own Album Walrus, compared to the regular Walrus?

Ask for short albums :pac::pac:

Nah it's definitely fun, I don't know if it's something I'd jump into again mind, 41 albums (accounting for the duplicate) is a lot of music to get through. Perhaps you could have more categories and less entrants, it might be an easier way to speed up the process....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Great game Necro, I knew entering Sparks would backfire haha. Congrats Kol on winning, some great albums were entered into this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Necro wrote: »
    Robyn – Body Talk submitted by cee_jay

Robyn-Body-Talk-album-cover-web-optimised-820.jpg

https://open.spotify.com/album/0le9TO3kU69m6iWHTjNs9Y?si=AfnlbTbPRqOssl2zSONVhw

Highpoints – Dancing On My Own, Time Machine

Kicks off decently, again another very different vibe to this album. Definitely enjoying the technopop feel to it, Dancing On My Own is a brilliant track. Yeah this is really good, there’s a slight dip in Love Kills but the following songs are very good. Really like this which is surprising as what I knew of Robyn before listening was ‘With Every Heartbeat’ - and I wasn’t gone on it. But this album is excellent, enjoyed it.

Glad you liked this - I was afraid it could be a bit of a wild card, but I don't think Robyn gets the praise she deserves. Technopop isn't normally my favourite genre, but I think this album is excellent.

Thanks for organising and running this!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Woohoo, top 10!!! :D

Great game Necro, thanks for running it, that was some commitment. Congrats Kolido, very well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great game Necro, delighted to have won. Thats my second walrus win, Necro was hosting on both occasions. People will start talking :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kolido wrote: »
    Great game Necro, delighted to have won. Thats my second walrus win, Necro was hosting on both occasions. People will start talking :D

I can't believe that it's taken until now for us to figure out that this is Necro's second account. Fiendishly clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Just catching up now.
    Some really great albums in this competition.
    Congrats Kolido!!

Fair play Necro, I can only imagine how time consuming this was, thanks for organising!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sawduck wrote: »
    Great game Necro, I knew entering Sparks would backfire haha. Congrats Kol on winning, some great albums were entered into this

Sparks are fantastic, but I think they are completely an acquired taste. They're quirky to a fault and if your quirks align with theirs then you'll love them - but if they don't...well then you're probably going to hate them!

Great idea for a Walrus. Sickened that I didn't get my act together to take part.

Next time, hopefully very soon!

Advertisement