Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electrical supply question.

• 31-01-2021 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭

I know there is already a thread on Home chargepoint purchase, and I didn't want to hijack that.
    My problem is this. I live in a 1960s built timber frame house that had only minor upgrades to the electrical system since it was built.
    The Supply comes to the chimney, then cabled down the roof, under the eaves into the Meter box. (There is no ESB meter Cabinet). The Meter box/consumer unit sit in a box structure about 2 foot down from the ceiling, where the kitchen wall once was, before it was removed during alterations sometime in the life of the house. The consumer unit itself has no logic, is incorrectly labelled, and has a bank of mcb for electric heating that was removed many years ago.
    My question is, given the status of the supply within the house, would it be best to start afresh, move the meter box to somewhere outside the house.

When I bought the house first, I got an estimate for re-certification, which dealt with the internal rewiring, new consumer unit etc.
    Now my issue is this, If I intend to put a home chargepoint outside, would the supply cables coming into the house even be fit for purpose any more, having been exposed to UV for so long?
    Would adding the extra load just put the whole system over the edge? Would it be better to literally start at the pole, and upgrade everything from there in? As it was the estimate for recert (in 2019) was in the region of €8k, that being purely replacing the internal wiring, and all switches, fitting and sockets as required.

What's the best option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats a tough one that only an electrician onsite can really answer for you based on his assessment of the wiring. Based on what you've described it probably requires an upgrade.

The wiring could fail on earth tests or the tails might be insufficient to take an extra 32A continuous load and that would need upgrading.... without actually seeing the cabling its hard to know... you need an electrician (or 2) onsite to give you an opinion.

If you are starting afresh take the opportunity to upgrade to a 16kVA connection.

On the location of the meter box... the benefit of moving it outside is to allow easier reading of the meter without having to let someone into the house to read it. As we move forward you will also be getting a smart meter and that would also probably work better if located outside so that it can get a mobile signal to "phone home" with its readings.

If you want to avoid an upgrade you could put in a lower powered charge point limited to 16A and that might be installable without upgrading but the car will take twice as long to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

KCross wrote: »
    Thats a tough one that only an electrician onsite can really answer for you based on his assessment of the wiring. Based on what you've described it probably requires an upgrade.

The wiring could fail on earth tests or the tails might be insufficient to take an extra 32A continuous load and that would need upgrading.... without actually seeing the cabling its hard to know... you need an electrician (or 2) onsite to give you an opinion.

If you are starting afresh take the opportunity to upgrade to a 16kVA connection.

On the location of the meter box... the benefit of moving it outside is to allow easier reading of the meter without having to let someone into the house to read it. As we move forward you will also be getting a smart meter and that would also probably work better if located outside so that it can get a mobile signal to "phone home" with its readings.

If you want to avoid an upgrade you could put in a lower powered charge point limited to 16A and that might be installable without upgrading but the car will take twice as long to charge.

Using the Granny Charger at the Outdoor socket at present. 5 hours or so for the Outlander.
    Not going near smart metering until they sort out how they'll discount people who are putting their surplus power (from Solar etc) back into the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The ESB will decide whether they want to rewire from the pole. You could relocate your meter but with remote reading coming, it might not be worth the bother.

If you were doing all that, it might be worth considering putting the cable underground.

I don’t think UV is going to have much effect on the ESB cable. There are ESB drops that have been in service for a long time. If there is a safety reason to change it, ESB will change it.

It does sound like you need work done to renew things within your premises. But it doesn’t sound like there is any reason in principle that a decent electrician can’t do what you want.

My question is, is it worth upgrading everything internally, but leaving the supply coming from an overhead cable?
    Given that the meter box is next to the consumer unit, would anyone upgrading it make sure the supply was up to standard, or would they leave that to the ESB only?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Dohvolle wrote: »
    My question is, is it worth upgrading everything internally, but leaving the supply coming from an overhead cable?
    Given that the meter box is next to the consumer unit, would anyone upgrading it make sure the supply was up to standard, or would they leave that to the ESB only?

You own/responsible for everything from the meter into your house. From the meter out to the pole is the ESB's responsibility. They will decide whether that needs upgrading or not.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    You own/responsible for everything from the meter into your house. From the meter out to the pole is the ESB's responsibility. They will decide whether that needs upgrading or not.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Thank you, that's exactly what I was wondering.

That said, if you really do want to move your meter to a cabinet outside and you are prepared to pay ESBn and the elrctrician to do it, the time when you are renewing the wiring is the best time to do it.

But it’s really up to you, it’s not essential.

Advertisement