Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R/TIST in the Spotlight- OONegative

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Proudest athletic achievement(s) to date?

My Amsterdam Half performance(yawn ye say at this stage!!). I ran my first half struggling to break 1.45 and I thought then maybe if I get lucky some day I might get close to 90mins. 1.31.43 was my half Pb for way to long and I believed I was never destined to break 90. I come here and through a bit of hard work I broke 90 comfortably at my first CPC.

I ran an 8 mile HMP run two weeks before Amsterdam and killed it, I was running so within myself but still refused to get carried away. Then paranoia kicks in, what if I left my race on that training run!! When I got to mile 9 and opened it up a bit I was so happy as I knew then I was going to achieve a time that I thought was totally outside my capabilities as a runner. Not finished at that though!!

Winning The Sliabh Bawn 10k was special to, my name will forever be written in history as a winner of that race, something to be very proud of also.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Was Paidi good or bad for Westmeath football? Long term would they have been better off without a celebrity manager?

Did he really take helicopters to training?

Sounds like a question from a disgruntled Laois man!!!

Was Paidi good or bad for Westmeath football? Long term would they have been better off without a celebrity manager?

He led the county to there one and only Leinster crown so he’ll always be held in very high esteem in Westmeath!! He had that canny ability of getting every last bit of ability/determination out of players so I think it was good for the county in my opinion. We weren’t in the spotlight as much before or after because of Paidi. He kind of established a bit of recognition and respect for football within Westmeath.

I don’t know the honest answer to this, I heard stories to the effect Michael O Leary flew him up and down from Ventry in a helicopter alright but what truth was behind it I don’t know.

Sure he was supposed to frequent the jacuzzi in the Grenville Arms in Mullingar with some expensive bottles of red wine in hand adorned by flaxen haired vixens from the town surrounding him to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

OOnegative wrote: »
    Sounds like a question from a disgruntled Laois man!!!

He led the county to there one and only Leinster crown so he’ll always be held in very high esteem in Westmeath!! He had that canny ability of getting every last bit of ability/determination out of players so I think it was good for the county in my opinion. We weren’t in the spotlight as much before or after because of Paidi. He kind of established a bit of recognition and respect for football within Westmeath.

I don’t know the honest answer to this, I heard stories to the effect Michael O Leary flew him up and down from Ventry in a helicopter alright but what truth was behind it I don’t know.

Sure he was supposed to frequent the jacuzzi in the Grenville Arms in Mullingar with some expensive bottles of red wine in hand adorned by flaxen haired vixens from the town surrounding him to!!

Careful now, I'm a disgruntled Offaly man!

I always felt that team was capable of more but once they broke the Leinster duck it never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Kudos for doing this, OOnegative. It’s been an interesting read.

I don’t think this has been asked, and hope you don’t consider it too personal, but why the username? Do you regularly donate blood?

Also kudos for how often and how promptly you give out Kudos on Strava. I think I sometimes get notification that “BM gave you kudos on Morning Run” before notification that said Morning Run had even been uploaded. It’s gotten to the stage, that if I don’t receive kudos form you, I wonder am I just after logging a sh1t run. How do you have time for this? Is giving out kudos an automated feature of your Strava account?
    As a former member of AGS, how would you feel about Strava being used to check people out exercising are complying with Ireland’s 5k restrictions? à la les Gendarmerie, https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/french-police-using-strava-to-catch-and-fine-cyclists-for-training-outdoors/

I only ask this final question, because I might be a bit too anal about it myself; do you use the “Preview Post” button on boards before hitting “Submit Reply”?

Oh, And have you ever considered a triathlon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

If this has been asked already then I apologise, but what do you miss most about Ireland pal?
    Also, do you still have issues with the loss of sodium during races? I'll never forget your legs after Mullingar that time :):o

zico10 wrote: »
    Kudos for doing this, OOnegative. It’s been an interesting read.

I don’t think this has been asked, and hope you don’t consider it too personal, but why the username? Do you regularly donate blood?

Also kudos for how often and how promptly you give out Kudos on Strava. I think I sometimes get notification that “BM gave you kudos on Morning Run” before notification that said Morning Run had even been uploaded. It’s gotten to the stage, that if I don’t receive kudos form you, I wonder am I just after logging a sh1t run. How do you have time for this? Is giving out kudos an automated feature of your Strava account?
    As a former member of AGS, how would you feel about Strava being used to check people out exercising are complying with Ireland’s 5k restrictions? à la les Gendarmerie, https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/french-police-using-strava-to-catch-and-fine-cyclists-for-training-outdoors/

I only ask this final question, because I might be a bit too anal about it myself; do you use the “Preview Post” button on boards before hitting “Submit Reply”?

Oh, And have you ever considered a triathlon?

Hey A, belting out some serious training lately!

I kinda made reference the user name earlier in the thread, it comes from the movie The Goonies. One of the characters, Data, saw himself as 007 ala James Bond. Mickey(Sean Astin) calls him OOnegative once and that’s the source of my user name!!!

Again regarding the kudos issue, it’s like the answer to my regularity on this forum. I’m either very sad or dedicated to checking the runners I follow on Strava(I like to think it’s the latter myself!!).

Wouldn’t be a fan of AGS using Strava as a tool to track people to see if they are obeying the 5k limits. I know for a fact if it was, there would be an element who would use it for more “shady” purposes let’s say!!!

I only ever use the “Preview Post” feature if I’m using a laptop A, I think every answer on this thread I’ve done using my phone.

As regards a triathlon, I’d never say never. I can swim but it needs some serious work before I’d ever commit to doing one. Some lovely open water lakes here that open early summer that local tri clubs make serious use of.

If this has been asked already then I apologise, but what do you miss most about Ireland pal?

My family, I haven’t seen them since July 2019!! My Dad was 70 last October & we had a family occasion organised but obviously Covid put a block on that. I couldn’t even wish him Happy Birthday via a phone call as he’s stone deaf(no ear protection for shooting when he joined the Army!!). The feed back in his hearing aids from a mobile phone make it impossible to talk to him & he hears nothing without them. That was so tough!!

I do miss early morning runs along the Royal Canal also and sausages!!

Also, do you still have issues with the loss of sodium during races? I'll never forget your legs after Mullingar that time :):o

Yes, I had a conversation with skyblue46 about this recently. It affects me most at the marathon, I can’t/struggle to replace the sodium I lose through sweat and it has made the last 4 miles of every marathon I’ve ran torture!! Had one or two scary training runs here to where I got totally disoriented due to sweat loss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well the last four miles should be torture anyway. In your case, medieval torture!

Last 24 hours folks, I’ll be along with a first time ARtist tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Have really enjoyed this B, I've even learned a few things I didn't already know :D. Looking forward to your triathlon debut!! Those lakes sound fantastic. There's a lake close to here but for some reason it's run by a private company and you can't just rock up and swim in it :rolleyes:.

What's the first thing you'll do once covid restrictions are lifted permanently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Some great answers B, have enjoyed reading them :)

Skyblue46, Itziger, TBL & Murph D
    Who would you pick to go for a run with?
    Who would you pick to go for a drink with?
    And which 2 would you like to see lining up with you in a race?
    Also give the reasons why for your choices!

Thanks again AM,

What's the first thing you'll do once covid restrictions are lifted permanently?

Go home, L hasn’t seen her family in the same amount of time as myself so getting home to see our families will be priority when everything lifts properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great reading this all week B. Great stuff.

Would you have voted for Sam Bennett or Katie Taylor in the Sportsperson of the Year awards?

What was your favourite board game?

If the teams you support in your 3 favourite team events could sign one player from another in their own league who would you like them to sign?

Who is the best GAA player you have seen not to have won an All Ireland? (Someone who is retired, not Clifford)

What's your favourite biscuit?

Cheers E,

I’ve popped my cherry with skyblue46, TbL and Murph so it’s a short hop across the Dutch border to run with the Cork D.

I’ve drank with skyblue46 and he got me kicked out of a pub, TbL is teetotal so like drinking with Betty Ford!! The two D’s would be the choice, Dublin D would bring the expensive cigars and Cork D like myself likes a nice, flavorful beer.

TbL, just to wipe his face in it and beat him AGAIN and Cork D just to show I can beat him despite his smack down talk!!!

Reasons given!!!

Cheers E,

I’ve popped my cherry with skyblue46, TbL and Murph so it’s a short hop across the Dutch border to run with the Cork D.

I’ve drank with skyblue46 and he got me kicked out of a pub, TbL is teetotal so like drinking with Betty Ford!! The two D’s would be the choice, Dublin D would bring the expensive cigars and Cork D like myself likes a nice, flavorful beer.

TbL, just to wipe his face in it and beat him AGAIN and Cork D just to show I can beat him despite his smack down talk!!!

Reasons given!!!

Brilliant B :D

Cheers S,

Would you have voted for Sam Bennett or Katie Taylor in the Sportsperson of the Year awards?

Sam Bennett all day, huge closet cycling fan. Religiously watch the TdF since I was 12/13(thanks Dad). Winning the green jersey in the TdF is a huge feat of endurance and fitness. Sam had Peter Sagan chasing him for 21 stages and Sagan possibly goes down as one of the greatest all round cyclists EVER. No disrespect to Katie but the competition she faces is nowhere near as competitive as what Sam faces.

What was your favourite board game?

We were never allowed spend enough time inside to be playing board games(not lying), liked Connect4?

If the teams you support in your 3 favourite team events could sign one player from another in their own league who would you like them to sign?

Steelers sign Patrick Mahomes, enough offensive ammunition on the Steelers roster for him to win a Super Bowl now in a pass happy league. Ben unfortunately is passed his sell by date.

Who is the best GAA player you have seen not to have won an All Ireland? (Someone who is retired, not Clifford)

Matty Forde, Declan Browne obviously get a big shout. But I’ll go with a man that I played against and from my own county in Dessie Dolan. Dessie was a genius, at u14 is the first time we crossed. When we trained for the county team Dessie was always put in goals so he wouldn’t be injured such was his importance to the team. He won county titles by himself with Garrycastle and always made Westmeath competitive whenever he played. An amazing footballer.

What's your favourite biscuit?

Simple man in this department, you can’t beat a Jaffa cake!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

a Jaffa cake!!!

Hmmmm.....is that a biscuit???

Thanks. Have to agree big time on the Bennett thing.

I probably would have gone for Ciarán Whelan for the GAA question...but thats probably predictable. Dessie was some player alright.

What about the other 2 sports transfers?

Hmmmm.....is that a biscuit???

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes

Read first line Pedantic Paul!!!

• Advertisement

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes

Read first line Pedantic Paul!!!

biscuit-sized cakes

What about the other 2 sports transfers?

United, get Ronaldo back to retire where he first made a name for himself! Messi is amazing but Ronnie is better again.

Next one involves more than move, Lebrun James, Anthony Davis and Luka Doncic to the Chicago Bulls to make them significant again. Big basketball fan to.

biscuit-sized cakes

Biscuit being the first word!!!

Biscuit being the first word!!!

Hmmmm. Biscuit sized.... Anything can be biscuit sized...a spider could be biscuit sized... It doesn't make him a biscuit...

You'll have to go back and answer the question again but this time choose a biscuit.... Not a cake.....

Hmmmm. Biscuit sized.... Anything can be biscuit sized...a spider could be biscuit sized... It doesn't make him a biscuit...

You'll have to go back and answer the question again but this time choose a biscuit.... Not a cake.....

It’s a Fcukin biscuit, stop being so awkward. Not my choice you’re drinking 0.0% Birra Moretti, stop taking it out on me........

.a spider could be biscuit sized...

Ugh that's a scary thought:eek:

It’s a Fcukin biscuit, stop being so awkward. Not my choice you’re drinking 0.0% Birra Moretti, stop taking it out on me........

Quit sending me pics of your vast selection of craft beer!!!

I spluttered out my drink :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Matty Forde, Declan Browne obviously get a big shout. But I’ll go with a man that I played against and from my own county in Dessie Dolan.

His first cousin was better!

• Advertisement

His first cousin was better!

Loved a game of naked pool!!!

Supreme talent but a fcukin head case, a few very good mates of mine played with him on the Ballymahon team he won a Longford Senior with. Stories about Frankie were something else, but they all admitted Ballymahon would have never won the county title without him.

Advertisement