Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cook/Dine at home

• 29-01-2021 3:26pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any restaurants doing Dine at Home?

I saw that Aniar are doing a fancy-schmanzy Dine at home, but it's through a Dublin distributor so you have to pay extra for a courier, if you can't click and collect in Dublin.

We've done Dough Bros and Handsome Burger and have enjoyed them, but I'd like to try something a bit different so I can properly pretend to be Keith Floyd in the kitchen. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is this when you get a box of ingredients from the restaurant and you assemble/cook them at home?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

biko wrote: »
    Is this when you get a box of ingredients from the restaurant and you assemble/cook them at home?

Yep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Das Kitty wrote:
    I saw that Aniar are doing a fancy-schmanzy Dine at home, but it's through a Dublin distributor so you have to pay extra for a courier, if you can't click and collect in Dublin.

Surprised that JP who is always moaning on national airwaves about the state of his business is making such a simple thing as dining from home so difficult. I get he is reaching out to the nation but could he not give an easier option for local patrons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Have a read of this: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/lockdown-meals-50-great-irish-restaurant-food-boxes-to-go-1.4276510

Crowe's do another burger box. Boojum to a fajita box. Wa Cafe do a sushi box. Phi does a gourmet veggie box. I'm sure there's a few more and fair deuce to those restaurants thinking outside the box... by selling a box.

Have a read of this: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/lockdown-meals-50-great-irish-restaurant-food-boxes-to-go-1.4276510

Crowe's do another burger box. Boojum to a fajita box. Wa Cafe do a sushi box. Phi does a gourmet veggie box. I'm sure there's a few more and fair deuce to those restaurants thinking outside the box... by selling a box.

Thanks beardybrewer.

My mouth is watering at the thought of sushi, but I'm to only one in the house who will touch it. I love Wa Cafe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Wa also have a new click and collect service with a few extra options not on deliveroo. I've been using it to pick up the odd lunch treat. Very easy to order in advance and food passed to you from the door.

https://ie.talech.com/biz/ordering/80945090/WA-SUSHI-Galway-Galway#/menu

Also sushi-related while I'm at it, I suppose after the 5k limit is eased for most of us, is there is an order and collect from Sakura in Oranmore which do Tomodachi level rolls as Kappa/Wa prices: https://www.sakuraasian.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

Trattoria Magnetti are doing make it yourself boxes. Haven't tried one but they look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Das Kitty wrote: »

We've done Dough Bros and Handsome Burger and have enjoyed them, but I'd like to try something a bit different so I can properly pretend to be Keith Floyd in the kitchen. :pac:

First stop, O'Briens wines! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Crowes Bar do them

https://homefoodboxes.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Phi Galway are doing boxes. They are the same as the guys from Loam I think. Got them twice now and are very good. Pick up from Loam or delivery for €5.

Lingum in Loughrea are also doing boxes

Both would be fancy enough boxes which I think is what you're looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Got an email from Collerans Butchers today, they are doing Valentines dinners. Choice of Steak or Duck Breast with sides. Boxes will be delivered on the 13th.

https://colleransbutchers.com/

cooperguy wrote: »
    Phi Galway are doing boxes. They are the same as the guys from Loam I think. Got them twice now and are very good. Pick up from Loam or delivery for €5.

Lingum in Loughrea are also doing boxes

Both would be fancy enough boxes which I think is what you're looking for!

Thanks for the tip on Lignum. I got onto them today and have booked myself a box. Must head up to O'Brien's wines too :P

Ean are doing restaurant boxes now as well. Haven't got one yet but they look good.

The café is pretty nice for take away as well!

Ean are doing restaurant boxes now as well. Haven't got one yet but they look good.

The café is pretty nice for take away as well!

Will be collecting a box from Éan later and will report back.

We're trying The Butcher St. Pie box tonight.

You collect it from the window of the Blue Note and it comes with a growler of ale.

They have a different theme to them every week, this week is Mexican.

https://www.instagram.com/butchers_st_pie_company/?hl=en

Thanks for the tip on Lignum. I got onto them today and have booked myself a box. Must head up to O'Brien's wines too :P

To report back on this. It was great. Really delicious food, and it was great fun putting it together. There were 6 small courses & every single one was fantastic.
    There was great craic when for the final course they gave us a piece of turf and a small tub of poitin and 2 marshmallows.

It was lovely not to have to work out the logistics of getting to a restaurant and getting home, deciding what to wear etc. The only negative is that you have to do the washing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

https://www.aimsirtakeaway.ie/

Aimsir doing a food box for a rather salty (IMO) €210.

Surely you wouldn't pay much more than that for it served up to you in the restaurant?

I had dinner in Aniar, a few years back admittedly, and I'm pretty certain it cost less than that including wine.

My feedback on Éan at Home:

Everything came in a neat cardboard box. Most packaging inside was plastic free, which I approve of. The instructions were detailed and everything was colour coded, according to course.
    Everything looked enticing and was delicious. Loved that the wild garlic butter was a vivid green and came in a cute jar. It was delicious with warm sourdough. The ricotta for the salad came in a small piping bag, we could feel Chefy!
    Duck legs, potatoes and veg were lovely. Desert was a cake and we also got cookie dough.
    No verdict on the cookies yet. They will be baked and eaten later today.
    We went with the wine pairing (+€15) and received a lovely bottle of an organic red wine from Austria.
    All in all we were happy with the experience.

PCeeeee wrote: »

Surely you wouldn't pay much more than that for it served up to you in the restaurant?

I had dinner in Aniar, a few years back admittedly, and I'm pretty certain it cost less than that including wine.

Aimsir is on a different level to Aniar though. it was on my list of places to visit before the plague hit. 2 Michellen star within months of opening. I've heard nothing but great things (don't think you can get the boxes in Galway though)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

PCeeeee wrote: »

That place is in Kildare, but I suppose for 210 you might get it taxi'd to Galway :D

Instead I suggest the local Trieste box

149173433-2266769123454488-8074077540314651099-n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

biko wrote: »
    That place is in Kildare, but I suppose for 210 you might get it taxi'd to Galway :D

Instead I suggest the local Trieste box

149173433-2266769123454488-8074077540314651099-n.jpg

Yeah sorry all. I dunno why I had it in my head it was Gaillimh

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭degzs

I can see many more restaurants are doing takeaway.
    Any recommendations?

degzs wrote: »
    I can see many more restaurants are doing takeaway.
    Any recommendations?

Butcher St. Pie Co is a collaboration between Jess Murphy in Kai, The Blue Note and someone else I cant think of! Slightly expensive but very tasty pie, starter, desert and litre of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Butcher St. Pie Co is a collaboration between Jess Murphy in Kai, The Blue Note and someone else I cant think of! Slightly expensive but very tasty pie, starter, desert and litre of beer.

Ruibin I'm pretty sure.

Pascal Cafe delivers breakfast/brunch boxes full of pancakes. You don't have to make the pancakes yourself, but they give you a load of toppings so you can serve them how you like them. Very light and fluffy pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭degzs

Great will have a look but seems expensive.

We had the Dough Bros / Kai collaboration last night. Shawarma pizza.
    It was top notch. The Buckfast Hot Sauce was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Just saw there Kappa ya on middle street are doing takeaway dinner boxes also, think it might only be once a month though

Advertisement