Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second residence ! Firearm licenced there..

• 28-01-2021 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

So if you have a second residence where you spend a serious amount of weekends along with summer and winter holidays, it being the wife's home place being a farm house..
    Could you apply for a firearm licence and use that address as the storage location.

I don't see why not but some one might have tried this before and have tested the water..

Just thinking of keeping a simple 22 rifle and maybe a 12 gauge shotgun. I fed up lugging guns and kids to the countyside every time I travel.

PS I don't own it but the wife owns a share in it..

Any thoughts..

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Could you apply for a firearm licence and use that address as the storage location..
    Of course.

Once you meet the storage requirements for the amount of guns you have there [at the other location].
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NightHawk7

I was wondering about this myself. I have 3 firearms registered to my home address, but I no longer live there. Am I safe in assuming that, if I decide to purchase a 4th, if I register it at my current address, I will need only comply with the minimum requirements for one unrestricted firearm, as the law refers to how many are stored at a single/particular location, or have I got that wrong?

Its per location.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Cass wrote: »
    Of course.

Once you meet the storage requirements for the amount of guns you have there [at the other location].

I wonder would it make a difference to the application if (as a holiday home) the residence is often unoccupied for long periods throughout the year.

Would there not be a greater chance of a burglary if undesirables became aware that there were firearms kept in the house and it was regularily vacant.

That would be an issue, but not one that would legislated for.

IOW, and this applies to the posters above to an extent, while the law may say you only need the security for the amount of firearms stored at the house they are being registered as stored in, the issue could be how long are they left "unattended" and as the Super has free reign when it comes to security levels they could demand a much higher level knowing the house is vacant for long periods of time and that much is legislated for with the security SI being minimum standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Let's say your turned down and the licence is refused..

How do a refusal impact on a shooter..

As you know the firearms application form ask if you have ever been refused a licence..

You have to declare if you've ever been refused. I cannot remember if there is a time limit on declaring this, but a mate had a license revoked (yet kept his other guns :confused: ) and after i think 4 years didn't mention the revocation. Was called in for an interview and asked why he didn't declare it.

He explained he had for the previous years and due to the ambiguity on a time frame for declarations he decided to stop. Had to convince them he wasn't hiding anything (which i thought was comical as they already knew all these details when they called him) and all that was really needed was the explanation as to why he stopped.

Advertisement