Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Medium

• 27-01-2021 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Glad to see this getting favourable reviews and a welcome addition to the genre it seems.

its in my eyes the first big series X game ( whilst also being on PC) so will be interesting to see how it performs

The split screen mechanic looks fairly good and blooper teams previous outings have been solid enough especially observor. Its almost the perfect game for gamepass.

digital foundry breakdown is fairly decent too

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was Observer good? I was but off Blooper teams games because Layers of Fear was a complete pile of luke warm ****e.

This seems interesting but hoping they have moved past cheap jump scares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I have it pre installed a few weeks now but I am still going to say while this is a Series and PC only game (at the moment) it again is not a true next gen game. Much of its development was without a Series S or X development or test kit so they were developing it on PC hardware. Then they had to race to try and optimise it for the new consoles.

It looks like an interesting game but if I'm honest, it does not seem to be optimized very well. Its running on Unreal 4 and it seems to be too heavy on PC and Series X. The game is not overly taxing and the resolution drops significantly in certain scenes again pointing to the game not really being optimised properly. That coupled with a locked 30 FPS with frame drop issues as confirmed by DF. The developer has acknowledged the DF findings are are looking into the reason for the frame drops with a fix coming in a future patch.

I will give the game a go, its only 7-8 hours long anyway but I would say this is a next gen game in its infancy state. What I mean by that is its a hybrid game, not developed truly on nextgen hardware. Still great to have a timed exclusive on Microsoft but I fully expect it to come to PS5 in the next 12 months as a port.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭brady12

Played very a hour of it . Enjoying world and story so far but I'd say it helps I haven't played a walking simulator in ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ZiabR wrote: »
    I have it pre installed a few weeks now but I am still going to say while this is a Series and PC only game (at the moment) it again is not a true next gen game. Much of its development was without a Series S or X development or test kit so they were developing it on PC hardware. Then they had to race to try and optimise it for the new consoles.

It looks like an interesting game but if I'm honest, it does not seem to be optimized very well. Its running on Unreal 4 and it seems to be too heavy on PC and Series X. The game is not overly taxing and the resolution drops significantly in certain scenes again pointing to the game not really being optimised properly. That coupled with a locked 30 FPS with frame drop issues as confirmed by DF. The developer has acknowledged the DF findings are are looking into the reason for the frame drops with a fix coming in a future patch.

I will give the game a go, its only 7-8 hours long anyway but I would say this is a next gen game in its infancy state. What I mean by that is its a hybrid game, not developed truly on nextgen hardware. Still great to have a timed exclusive on Microsoft but I fully expect it to come to PS5 in the next 12 months as a port.

You mention DF and they said the game is next gen because of the demands of the the split screen with two different environments which is different to a normal split screen game.

I'll have go at it tonight and over the weekend as I like the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

So far I would say it's a fairly unscary walking simulator, well the split world gimmick looks cool I suppose. I'm on PC.

If this is the Series X first proper next gen spooky game well then it's no Condemned Criminal Origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

So far I would say it's a fairly unscary walking simulator, well the split world gimmick looks cool I suppose. I'm on PC.

If this is the Series X first proper next gen spooky game well then it's no Condemned Criminal Origins.

What a launch game that was. Only played first hour or so, very much a team blooper game so far.

Everyone still waiting for the first "truly next gen" , this is not it but I have to say its a real pleasure to play on the series x. Ray tracing is used in moderation, so you're not walking around on an ice rink or newly polished marble floor. It has a very uninterrupted flow to it too. I can only imagine if this was on last gen you would be driven demented with it stopping to load every 2nd room you walk into.

I like the game, I'm really becoming a fan of the walking sim genre. It seems to be really finding its feet (no pun intended!)

• Advertisement

Only started it, and it feels very old school 2000's in it's vibe but one tiny detail that popped out at me was when you go to the funeral home office and walk in front of the windows, there is traffic passing outside and the odd person with an umbrella all with reflections on the wet ground. We are not talking super next gen visuals here but that attention to detail did strike me.

I think I'm about half way through it and it feels like it's dragging it's feet. Might be wrong but can see where the story is going to a point and the split screen mechanic is a cool feature but I don't they are getting the best out of it they possibly could have.

It's very much a late 90's survival horror without combat thats really a walking sim. The puzzle elements and split screen are very easy to work out and don't make up for the lack of combat, not that the game needs combat but just makes me want more to do than walk around picking up stuff to flesh out the story and solve a few easy puzzles and that one stealth section.

Just finished up. Blooper team just get around 2/3 in and fall at final hurdle.

Impressive looking game all the same and not an absolute waste of time. Like Blair Witch perfect gamepass game, like said above some sort of combat would have helped not just shielding

recyclops wrote: »
    Just finished up. Blooper team just get around 2/3 in and fall at final hurdle.

Impressive looking game all the same and not an absolute waste of time. Like Blair Witch perfect gamepass game, like said above some sort of combat would have helped not just shielding

The visuals for the interiors are absolutely nailed, my partner is from a different east European country but I've been in old city apartment blocks there and some official buildings of that era and it's spot on.

The €50 asking price to buy the game is crazy. Reports are they made the dev cost's back already but I really doubt that's from sales. They had EU and Polish government grants as well as GamePass money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Enfilade wrote: »
    The visuals for the interiors are absolutely nailed, my partner is from a different east European country but I've been in old city apartment blocks there and some official buildings of that era and it's spot on.

The €50 asking price to buy the game is crazy. Reports are they made the dev cost's back already but I really doubt that's from sales. They had EU and Polish government grants as well as GamePass money.

100%, its down to Game Pass. A €50 price tag for a 7 hour game is very steep. Its an easy game to just play though, not very taxing on the brain. Worth a playthrough if you have Game Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭brady12

Did anyone finish this and think it wasn't boring as ****?

Finished it, traditional blooper team affair being drip fed narrative as it goes along, fine for a wet weekend and perfect for gamepass, as narrative walking sims go its very good.

I think maybe it was marketed wrong, once any comparisons arise between a game and silent hill there is bound to be problems, if this had enemies and shooting it may be better as tension really doesnt come into it at all.

Advertisement