Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Forthebuzz wrote: »
    The last Interdepartmental they shortlisted after stage one results were out, stage two was shortlisting, stage 3 was supervised test (assessment centre) and stage 4 was interview and presentation

You're right, I just checked my old publicjobs messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I would love if they shortlisted first.... it would let you know if you form is actually good enough before bothering stressing about the online test! And would make the interview process alot faster considering the smaller amount of candidates available

Or that you don’t have to submit the form until after initial shortlisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hellr

Does anybody know if these tests will be recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Brera

neevobeevo wrote: »
    Can anyone please recommend a test package to buy in preparation for the tests?

I used this company for the last AP competition and fond it useful. Did really well on the test but I got shot down on the lack of management of large teams.

https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/irish-civil-service-higher-executive-officer-prep

hellr wrote: »

They normally don’t record them for the first round. Some competitions in the past have recorded them when they redo them rather than bring people into the PAS office to redo them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Kenevil

hellr wrote: »

For the 2020 EO competition the tests were recorded and afaik it was only one test due to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Brera wrote: »
    I used this company for the last AP competition and fond it useful. Did really well on the test but I got shot down on the lack of management of large teams.

When you got to the actual AP did you find that they were both really similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hellr

Not sure if it’s allowed but would anybody be interested in sharing a jobs prep sub for a month

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

These roles and exams are poles apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

hellr wrote:
    Not sure if it’s allowed but would anybody be interested in sharing a jobs prep sub for a month

Absolutely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

whampiri wrote: »
    These roles and exams are poles apart.

I’m aware but my question was whether he found the practice exams for AP similar to the actual AP exams. I’m still trying to decide whether to buy practice exams so would like to know if they’re good or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

I’m aware but my question was whether he found the practice exams for AP similar to the actual AP exams. I’m still trying to decide whether to buy practice exams so would like to know if they’re good or not?

Sorry, I thought you were looking to compare the AO/HEO exams to the AP exams.

The AP exams are quite a bit harder than the examples, however the sample questions are useful to understand the format that the questions will take and the layout of information.

They weren’t completely similar but it did give a good grounding and an idea of what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Kenevil wrote: »
    For the 2020 EO competition the tests were recorded and afaik it was only one test due to covid.

There was only one on line test/assessment and it was recorded - participants were asked to record their surroundings before and after test and present there ID before the recording
    No one was bought in to PAS to do a supervised test.
    EO Interviews were also done on line via Zoom

I just got a message with pre-test material for stage 1(a). Stage 1(a) aptitude tests will be from 3rd Feb until 10th Feb at 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

Thanks, I see that too. Ugh, tests...

It’s being recorded too ! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

I see it is a new test provider being used? Don't think I have done one previously with adaptive questioning

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭eroc79

Forthebuzz wrote: »
    I see it is a new test provider being used? Don't think I have done one previously with adaptive questioning

Definitely different.
    Am I understanding it right, there's no time limit but time will count towards your final mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Brera wrote: »

With the different test provider being used, or possibly different form of tests, anybody know if the recommendation here is still valid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

eroc79 wrote: »
    Definitely different.
    Am I understanding it right, there's no time limit but time will count towards your final mark?

That's my reading of it yes

With the different test provider being used, or possibly different form of tests, anybody know if the recommendation here is still valid?

It’s hard to know but at the bottom of page they make reference to Sova.

“Irish Civil Service, Sova, cut-e and other trademarks are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with JobTestPrep or this website.”

Has anyone heard of Sova being used in other campaigns ?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Have never done a test like this before but it sounds similar to the tests for the recent EO campaign. I'm raging because I always did well at the cut-e tests!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

Anyone have any reservations showing a private company your ID and a panoramic view of a private dwelling? And being compelled to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

corny wrote: »
    Anyone have any reservations showing a private company your ID and a panoramic view of a private dwelling? And being compelled to do so?

No, there's very obvious legitimate reasons for having to show ID and a panoramic view of the room you're doing the test in. And you can do it in whatever room you want, you could sit on the toilet and show them your shower and wash hand basin if you wanted!! And nobody is compelled to complete the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Wonder why you need a level 7 diploma for the EO comp, but for the HEO you only seem to require two years in the service and people management experience.

Doesn't seem right? Or am i missing something?

I don't recall it stating in the information booklet (HEO) anything about formal education requirements etc..

Wonder why you need a level 7 diploma for the EO comp, but for the HEO you only seem to require two years in the service and people management experience.

Doesn't seem right? Or am i missing something?

I don't recall it stating in the information booklet (HEO) anything about formal education requirements etc..

Because the EO is an open competition and inter d so if you don't have 2 yrs service you need a diploma. The HEO is inter d only so you need 2 yrs service and management experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Because the EO is an open competition and inter d so if you don't have 2 yrs service you need a diploma. The HEO is inter d only so you need 2 yrs service and management experience.

I appreciate that Ken, i was more curious as to why the instance on having a level 7 for EO rtaher than HEO, I would have thought a HEO would need certain qualifications to match the experience.

Just curious

I appreciate that Ken, i was more curious as to why the instance on having a level 7 for EO rtaher than HEO, I would have thought a HEO would need certain qualifications to match the experience.

Just curious

You don't need a diploma for the inter d element of the EO just 2 yrs service

• Advertisement

You don't need a diploma for the inter d element of the EO just 2 yrs service

You need to have 1 of the following for EO because the EO is a mix of open stream and inter d

Advertisement