Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic car import from uk

• 24-01-2021 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi just curious I’m importing a 1970 classic car from the U.K. I thought that with free trade agreement in place I wouldn’t have to pay vat etc.

Vrt is about 50 euro so not a problem.
    Does anyone know what is liable now on a classic car import from the U.K.? Is it now also vat and custom duty or just vat (on top of vrt).

If I’m going to be paying vat and vrt I might just import the car from the US instead as the car is cheaper in the US (with vat ) if I really would have to pay custom duty, vat and vrt for one from the U.K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

VRT is €200 .

If it's a British BUILT car, it will not attract 10% excise duty. Otherwise 10% if it's a Yank or German etc. VAT of 21% (soon to be 23%) of Invoice price plus transport costs.

It's not a free trade deal, it's only nil Customs for British goods going to the EU and vice Versa.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/vehicles-imported-from-gb-and-ni.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0L4i9Ao5X67I1-TU-gEgEr0h8uF1dX6MMRtNBOoAsF2dxM6hlJnHHkM44

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Justinwick wrote: »
    Hi just curious I’m importing a 1970 classic car from the U.K. I thought that with free trade agreement in place I wouldn’t have to pay vat etc.

Vrt is about 50 euro so not a problem.
    Does anyone know what is liable now on a classic car import from the U.K.? Is it now also vat and custom duty or just vat (on top of vrt).

If I’m going to be paying vat and vrt I might just import the car from the US instead as the car is cheaper in the US (with vat ) if I really would have to pay custom duty, vat and vrt for one from the U.K.

Buy from the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Justinwick

That’s what I was worried about so 10% excise
    And vat of 21%, that sucks a lot
    Isambard wrote: »
    VRT is €200 .

If it's a British BUILT car, it will not attract 10% excise duty. Otherwise 10% if it's a Yank or German etc. VAT of 21% (soon to be 23%) of Invoice price plus transport costs.

It's not a free trade deal, it's only nil Customs for British goods going to the EU and vice Versa.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/vehicles-imported-from-gb-and-ni.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0L4i9Ao5X67I1-TU-gEgEr0h8uF1dX6MMRtNBOoAsF2dxM6hlJnHHkM44

Just on this, the car in the US I am also looking at was originally built in 1970 in Germany and shipped to the US.

Will I still have to pay excise and vat on this despite it originally coming from Europe?

That’s what I was worried about so 10% excise
    And vat of 21%, that sucks a lot

yes, no change on cars from the US

• Advertisement

Just on this, the car in the US I am also looking at was originally built in 1970 in Germany and shipped to the US.

Will I still have to pay excise and vat on this despite it originally coming from Europe?

Try Japan too. Same taxes on import but shipping a little cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭turbocab

Isambard wrote: »
    VRT is €200 .

everyone knew this was coming Should have done it last year.And all those cars on done deal on uk plates are unsellable now because the skinflints were to mean to pay the 200 euro vrt last year.

That assumes that I was looking to buy a car last year which wasn’t the case here but of course if I had intended on buying it last year it would have made sense to have done so before Jan 1.
    turbocab wrote: »
    everyone knew this was coming Should have done it last year.And all those cars on done deal on uk plates are unsellable now because the skinflints were to mean to pay the 200 euro vrt last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

What has the fact that it originally came from Europe got anything to do with it? If built in Europe and exported to USA VAT wasn't paid and if in 1970 there wasn't VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Boley75

Hi,
    I'm new to this & was looking at buying a classic car 1990 in Scotland. I've been onto the NCT centre Re: VRT which I believe is €200 no problem, but they cannot advise on VAT for 30+ year old cars until I have an Irish plate ( defeats what I'm trying to do). I'm getting mixed feedback and have been told that I don't pay 10% duty but do pay 21% VAT. My question is 21% VAT on what? The price I pay for the car or the figure that revenue decide to value the car at in Ireland.
    Appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Boley75 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm new to this & was looking at buying a classic car 1990 in Scotland. I've been onto the NCT centre Re: VRT which I believe is €200 no problem, but they cannot advise on VAT for 30+ year old cars until I have an Irish plate ( defeats what I'm trying to do). I'm getting mixed feedback and have been told that I don't pay 10% duty but do pay 21% VAT. My question is 21% VAT on what? The price I pay for the car or the figure that revenue decide to value the car at in Ireland.
    Appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks.

the 21% vat is based on the open market selling price of the car here,it doesnt matter what you paid for the car.In other words they can pick any figure that they like .So unfortunately you never know what figure they come up with.Its going to kill the classic car industry here.

Thanks very much Turbocab. I thought as much, that's disgraceful they can pick a Fig. out of their A**e & apply. Frustrating thing is they cannot or just don't bother even giving you an indication of what the open market selling price is when you phone & ask. You are correct importing classics is a dead duck.

the 21% vat is based on the open market selling price of the car here,it doesnt matter what you paid for the car.In other words they can pick any figure that they like .So unfortunately you never know what figure they come up with.Its going to kill the classic car industry here.

Can you link to where it says VAT is on the OMSP please ? VAT is usually calculated on the value of goods before they are imported not the value after they have been imported. Is this a new post brexit policy? I do know revenue can if they choose to use market value of similar goods to calculate import taxes but I didnt know they were going to use market value as the basis for VAT charges going forward. If that is so buying anything outside the EU will be a massive gamble .

I've imported cars from Japan before and the VAT was calculated using the price I paid for the car in Japan + shipping costs.

Car99 wrote: »
    Can you link to where it says VAT is on the OMSP please ? VAT is usually calculated on the value of goods before they are imported not the value after they have been imported. Is this a new post brexit policy? I do know revenue can if they choose to use market value of similar goods to calculate import taxes but I didnt know they were going to use market value as the basis for VAT charges going forward. If that is so buying anything outside the EU will be a massive gamble .

I've imported cars from Japan before and the VAT was calculated using the price I paid for the car in Japan + shipping costs.

I was talking to a friend whos wife works in revenue and she said this is the way going forward. they dont want someone bringing in a recipt for 5k when they actually paid 10k for it.

I was talking to a friend whos wife works in revenue and she said this is the way going forward. they dont want someone bringing in a recipt for 5k when they actually paid 10k for it.

Game over until a backdoor is found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

I thought Brexit was bad, irish revenue are a joke when it comes to cars.

Can they not ease it off a bit, they have already fecked everyone over with the new NOx charges.

There will be a massive shortage of 2nd hand cars here soon enough as no-one will be importing.

I thought Brexit was bad, irish revenue are a joke when it comes to cars.

Can they not ease it off a bit, they have already fecked everyone over with the new NOx charges.

There will be a massive shortage of 2nd hand cars here soon enough as no-one will be importing.

Revenue are one of if not the most efficient and powerful department in the state. They implement policy from government they dont make up policy. Next time your local politician comes to your door voice your opinion and concerns . If they're is enough public dissatisfaction with policy it will change but for a very high percentage of people a car is to get from A to B and it costs what it costs.
    Classics and petrol head cars are of no interest to most . Because we look across the water or border and see much better value is of no consequence or interest to revenue.
    VRT was worth €942 million in 2019 and roughly half of all vehicles VRT'd in 2020 were imports so at a guess half of VRT is worth €470 million a year . If there is a €470 million euro hole will the government change policy ? Will more people buying new cars in Ireland reduce the size of the hole ? Can people afford a new focus rather than a 3 year old A4 or 3 series?
    VRT is worth about €200 million more per year to the exchequer than Motor Tax.
    VAT on imports is EU policy so that is here to stay , reducing VRT would not make the €470 million hole smaller , increasing motor tax would make the hole smaller . Which do you think they will choose.

Car99 wrote: »

VAT is based on the invoice price, however I see no reason why they wouldn't ask for proof of how the money was arranged if the receipt looked suspiciously low. No doubt they could hold up the procedure indefinitely if they thought the ducks weren't in a row. I saw a TV show where they were in the Customs store and there was cars in there that had been there years.

Thanks very much Turbocab. I thought as much, that's disgraceful they can pick a Fig. out of their A**e & apply. Frustrating thing is they cannot or just don't bother even giving you an indication of what the open market selling price is when you phone & ask. You are correct importing classics is a dead duck.

This is nonsense. The Revenue don't pick a figure out of their a**e. How the hell can they give you a value of your car over the phone? They do what the rest of us do and go online and see what they are selling for. That's where they get their values. Importing classics is far from being a dead duck. Cars coming in from outside the EU have had all these taxes applied to them for ages so why all of a sudden just because that bunch of idiots across the Irish sea decide to leave the EU the classic car market here is dead.

w124man wrote: »
    This is nonsense. The Revenue don't pick a figure out of their a**e. How the hell can they give you a value of your car over the phone? They do what the rest of us do and go online and see what they are selling for. That's where they get their values. Importing classics is far from being a dead duck. Cars coming in from outside the EU have had all these taxes applied to them for ages so why all of a sudden just because that bunch of idiots across the Irish sea decide to leave the EU the classic car market here is dead.

because a £6000 GB classic , has upwards of €1500 added to it's price now rather than just €200 VRT.

• Advertisement

Go on line and see what classics are selling for! Prices can vary on classics massively, so that doesn't work sorry. And as noted by Isambard bottom line is importing has just increased by over 20%, so therefore classic imports are currently way less attractive.

And will you be up in arms when GBP£ gains value and goes back to £1 equaling €1.45 as it was a few years ago? We bought classics then and we will buy classics in the future. If you cant afford a classic because of Brexit don't whinge about it, its quite tiresome. There are 26 other countries in the EU to buy from without duty and VAT.
    Prices can vary on classics massively, so that doesn't work sorry.

Which is precisely why Revenue dont give you a value over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,343 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

two exact same classics can have a price difference of 20k or more, and the Twats in Revenue will go with the dreamer price. So messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,343 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What type of car is it OP?

Would it be hard importing from Malta? In EU and drive on left?

LorenzoB wrote: »
    Would it be hard importing from Malta? In EU and drive on left?

People are doing it all the time. Not hard but maybe not cheaper

two exact same classics can have a price difference of 20k or more, and the Twats in Revenue will go with the dreamer price. So messed up.

You do, of course, have a documented example of this? (and not your cousin's friends husbands Dad brought in a yoke ......)

Advertisement