Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car cover advice please

• 21-01-2021 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

I'm moving my 1970 MG BGT from a dry storage garage to a carport which gives a roof and 3 walls of shelter. Still nowhere near as good as dry storage I know but space is limited. I'm looking at a cover for the car whilst in the carport and the Carcoon was the first one in mind. They seem to be either out the door busy or closed as not responding to calls or emails. Wanted to get one bigger than the MG to allow for changing car in a few years if I wanted. Given the delay with them and the likely impact of slow delivery and customs charges from the UK I'm considering the two normal car covers below. Bubbles and the like seem non-existent in Ireland and hard found abroad too.

Any thoughts and advice from experienced heads here appreciated.

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/car-cover/products/3507870/hagelschutz-perma-protect-car-cover--silver----medium

http://www.carcoversireland.ie/store/product.php?id=278

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I am looking for a cover as well for my classic.

I thought carcovers.ie was a UK based business, open to correction on this tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Have gotten a response from Carcoon today. As long as there's no crazy wait time or charges then I'll go with that I think. If anyone doesn't think they are worth the price then shout quick!

Have gotten a response from Carcoon today. As long as there's no crazy wait time or charges then I'll go with that I think. If anyone doesn't think they are worth the price then shout quick!

What about customs charges on that, thanks

kadman wrote: »

Definitely an option. The website confused me yesterday as had ie in the website name but clearly wasn't Irish so I didn't pay much attention assuming it was scammy. Looks good though.

Carcoon gone quiet again. Replied quickly to email this morning for me to send in what car type I had. Replied straight away and still waiting on them now. Going to use a car park for storage now for a few weeks so have time to sort out best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Graham1882

Check out Demon Tweeks website. I have been looking at the Carcoon cover for outside, seems to be cheaper than Carcoons own website. Also seem to have different options on delivery companies. I have never used Demon Tweeks so unsure of there reliability.

If you do get one, would you mind updating us on the customs cost?

Graham1882 wrote: »
    Check out Demon Tweeks website. I have been looking at the Carcoon cover for outside, seems to be cheaper than Carcoons own website. Also seem to have different options on delivery companies. I have never used Demon Tweeks so unsure of there reliability.

If you do get one, would you mind updating us on the customs cost?

I think the only way to find the customs tariff rate for stuff coming in to the EU
    is on Revenue.ie,

and having trawled through pages and pages before, which was head wrecking at the time, I'm just going to avoid UK purchases if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Graham1882

kadman wrote: »
    I think the only way to find the customs tariff rate for stuff coming in to the EU
    is on Revenue.ie,

and having trawled through pages and pages before, which was head wrecking at the time, I'm just going to avoid UK purchases if I can.

Cheers Kadman, might leave it a few months until things settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Car covers can become very fragile over time, and need to be breathable, if that's the word. A good cover, a little wind can fairly good. I might consider one soon.

Carcoon contact disappeared again after one response. Bit the bullet and just bought the carcoversireland.ie breathable stormforce cover for €165 +€15 shipping. Will update with delivery time and customs details when I get it. Thanks for all replies.

• Advertisement

Carcoon contact disappeared again after one response. Bit the bullet and just bought the carcoversireland.ie breathable stormforce cover for €165 +€15 shipping. Will update with delivery time and customs details when I get it. Thanks for all replies.

Good cover I had one on my beetle:)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

I looked at getting the Outdoor Carcoon for my classic before Christmas. They couldn't guarantee delivery before December 31st. It would then have been liable for customs etc after the 31st. Bloody Brexit!

Cover arrived 3 days after order. Took only a few days from order. The seller called me as PayPal didn't give him my address or proper name so I asked about customs charges etc. He said he's stick a different value on the package for me. Cost me €17.63 (€11.58 customs + €6.05 DPD brokerage charge). Happy out!

Advertisement