Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Christmas food left?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We polished off the box of cadburys eclairs last night (when I say we I really mean my wife & kids) so we're just down to the crisps, alcohol & party food in the freezer, all of which will stay there until we have a party/get together with family at some stage in the future.

Oh, not forgetting I still have 18 mince pies in the freezer also!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

We have a tub of celebrations that I've been informed is being kept up till Easter.
    The temptation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

TRS30 wrote: »
    Eaten since Christmas or still to go?? :)

Still here! :D Just try telling my wife that she is buying too much is a waste of time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭sporina

A box of Roses featured in my dreams last night.. :eek:

Christmas indulgence DT's for sure..

I am gonna fight the urge though - not even sure I could get a box of em, even if I wanted too..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sporina wrote: »
    A box of Roses featured in my dreams last night.. :eek:

Christmas indulgence DT's for sure..

I am gonna fight the urge though - not even sure I could get a box of em, even if I wanted too..

For Quality Street fans you can get Tins of Quality Street all year round off their website! :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Will there be custom's tax of £300 a tin now I wonder?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Will there be custom's tax of £300 a tin now I wonder?

That is the concern alright, 10% custom tax would be acceptable enough as it'd be €2 max but An Post are charging an admin fee of €10 to collect the tax which is a joke.

So a €20 order could end up costing €32.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

Yesterday I remembered my box of cherry liqueurs. Santa gives me a box every year and cos they're liqueurs I don't have to share with the kids, just throw the odd one my husband's way. Although the 15 year old was eyeing them up, commenting on how little alcohol there must be in them.
    Anyway, I'm happily forgetting my diet and enjoying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Loughc wrote: »
    That is the concern alright, 10% custom tax would be acceptable enough as it'd be €2 max but An Post are charging an admin fee of €10 to collect the tax which is a joke.

So a €20 order could end up costing €32.

That just makes me sad :(

Would it be better value just to bulk buy about 10 boxes? :pac:

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    Would it be better value just to bulk buy about 10 boxes? :pac:

I like how you think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Panettone is all I've left, will be french toasting it this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

All that's left is the wretched, rotten, far-too-tempting home-made biscuits. RESIST!!

Also two packets of German Christmas biscuits, sent over by family; but they aren't as nice as the other kind and resisting them is not much of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Pistachio19

Opened the last tub of celebrations yesterday. Haven't told the kids yet. It was great to get first choice.

Tucking into a bag of M&S chocolate eclairs now

Ooooh yum. :D

One tin of biscuits left unopened :) everything else is in my belly.

We cleared our some of the crisps and a half bottle of gin last night whilst on a zoom call to my inlaws... not a lot of goodies left now.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Think I've 2 tubs of quality street and a box of dairy box left- supplies dwindling here too!

Edit- I also have a full unopened tin of chocolate Kimberley, as I got a tin from work after buying one myself, but they have now been redesignated for Easter. :)

at this stage I need a thread called "are you still buying Christmas food?" lol...

re-gifted the chocs/crisps we didn't want but still buying Ardsallagh Cranberry Goats cheese and Sheirdans brown bread crackers.. this is usually a Christmas snack for me but with the times we are in, I am indulging in it a bit longer ekk... era its not unhealthy - but just shows - the pleasures of Christmas are being enjoyed a lot longer than usual..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Still eating my way through the end of the quality street. Not even my favourites that are in it and yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

I had two fredo caramels, two dairymilk and a fist full of eclair sweets. I have binned the remainder of the Christmas pudding so that is at least a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Gave one of the box of left over chocolates to a neighbors who fell down the stair. Obviously not a nice reason (she is fine) however one less box of temptation.

Lindt bunnies in Tesco today.. man I love em but gee its too early for that - twill be an even longer spring if I start tucking into the Easter fare in Jan...

So feck it, I am on the hunt for a box of Roses - stretch out the xmas vibe.. so if anyone spots any in a supermarket will you let me know please? None to be had that I have seen.. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭pigtail33

The cartons of Roses are currently on offer in Dunnes, half the weight of the Christmas tins, and the same price, but it might be your best bet this time of year.

541093.png

Thats actually something we noticed last week. Was picking up a box of chocolates as a birthday present and the difference in price from before Christmas is remarkable. The prices are considerably higher than they were only 3 or 4 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I know, and I really doubt anyone makes a loss on the tins before Christmas, so it shows the profit being made on the smaller boxes for the other 10 months of the year.

pigtail33 wrote: »
    The cartons of Roses are currently on offer in Dunnes, half the weight of the Christmas tins, and the same price, but it might be your best bet this time of year.

541093.png
    DvB wrote: »
    Thats actually something we noticed last week. Was picking up a box of chocolates as a birthday present and the difference in price from before Christmas is remarkable. The prices are considerably higher than they were only 3 or 4 weeks ago.

thanks pigtail yeah I saw those in Dunnes but would feel weird to pay even that, considering the tins of Roses wer only €3.99 between Nov-Dec.. lol.. but i want a tin - there is something nice about having it there in the living room - and just dipping in and out while watching TV.. I shudda bought them.. (the others I got as a pressie)..
    Oh - sad times (covid times)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

Our local aldi still has tins of quality street for €3.99 but no roses.

• Advertisement

tscul32 wrote: »
    Our local aldi still has tins of quality street for €3.99 but no roses.

thanks - but not a QS fan..

Advertisement