Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Construction shutdown... only in Ireland!

• 27-01-2021 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Am amazed at the lack of discussion or debate about this.

We are the only jurisdiction in the world, as far as I’m aware, who have decided to close most construction down again.

What are the reasons behind this and why are we inflicting this enormous economic and social damage for such little benefit?

Are our public health experts privy to information not available to other jurisdictions experts?

Why is a factory producing goods allowed to continue operating while a site producing homes is shutdown?

Initial period of 3 weeks, now being extended to 8 weeks.

Truly bizarre and almost inexplicable!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I think the initial idea was to give people less of an excuse to be on the roads when we were on 6000, 8000 per day.

That has been and past. Get us back to work.

Problem is, the public discourse has been hijacked by various protected types who are off work and still getting their full wages.

Last May there was phucking morons from the unions encouraging people not to do the CIF Covid back to work video pass, making up some guff about GDPR concerns. It was nothing more than union coonts being union coonts, work shy lefties pulling any excuse to have the Johnny Ronans of the world lose a few more quid.

Then of course there are certain other professions only too delighted to cry and moan about how much they fear Covid, because they are getting paid a full wage to sit at home doing nothing all winter.

Yet again our government is bowing down to left wing laziness that flies in the face of science. Sites by their very nature are not generally close contact environments, most men tend to work in teams of typically two or three, bar the odd one like scaffolders.

I heard a text on Matt Cooper from a floor installer telling of how his orders were gone down the pan and the stress of it all was killing him.

Brid Smith's response was- increase the subsidies.

The left in this country don't understand why some people don't want to get up at midday and stare at the telly/ internet all day for the next six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

Re unions surely there aren’t too many unionised trades sitting at home on full pay?

Agree anything to stop more money going into the likes of Johnny Ronan’s is likely a motivation for the likes of Bríd Smith and Richard Boyd-Barrett but the reality is those guys aren’t decision makers.

As I remember it, the timeline for where we got this insane position was Roisin Shorthall (another with no office but a large sympathetic microphone offered to her by the media) mentioned construction on Brendan O’Connor show on the first Saturday of the New Year.

UK made their big restrictions announcement the following Monday with a specific mention saying basically “nobody go to work but of course construction is essential”

Then on Weds 6th it’s just shat out there along with the schools which obviously took all the limelight.

Now there’s no rowing back on it, not with the coddled D4 media set who have created an association in the Irish mindset that builders are greedy, messy and untrustworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The likes of Smith and Boyd-Barrett are never short of something to say about the "housing crisis" either.

So how about this

There is a site around the corner from here that shut down since before Christmas because of the Level 5 restrictions.
    The site is for 50+ social houses.
    So 50+ families will now be a few months late getting off the housing list because of it.

It is just so economically and socially harmful without making the slightest impact on cases.

Wasn’t a question raised on it yesterday by the media.

Obsessing instead as they were about the airports... which are 94% less busy then this time last year!

Of all decisions made in the last 10/11 months this has to up there as the strangest and least effective measure.

Mind is scrambled thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

There is no reason in any of that, forget it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I can understand why a sealed building with tradesmens finishing it off would be shut down.

But site where people working are in the open air doesnt really make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

I can understand why a sealed building with tradesmens finishing it off would ne shut down.

But site where people working are in the open air doesnt really make sense.

The virus spreads in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Cerveza wrote: »
    The virus spreads in the air.

Oh no... Stay inside people.. there's a virus at your door

FFS

Give your head a shake will you

The likes of Smith and Boyd-Barrett are never short of something to say about the "housing crisis" either.

So how about this

There is a site around the corner from here that shut down since before Christmas because of the Level 5 restrictions.
    So 50+ families will now be a few months late getting off the housing list because of it.

Social housing is allowed open for construction as it deemed essential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

The experts aren’t making it up.

• Advertisement

Which construction sites/activities are deemed not essential?

There's some work going on across the road on a new estate but definitely not at full capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

So how about this

Mustn't be social housing as that is exempt.

Cerveza wrote: »
    The experts aren’t making it up.

Which experts?

Those in the UK, Germany and the rest of the world who are allowing construction to continue or the Irish experts who aren’t?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Which construction sites/activities are deemed not essential?

Off the top of my head, everything. Bar

- important infrastructure. Roads, electric, hospitals, water supplies etc

- social housing developments. I presume this is purely SH sites rather than mixed sites and Part V allocations.

- large sites, data centres mostly, for multinationals such as Facebook. Why I don't know, they aren't exactly going to throw a huff and walk away from a half completed site they put x billion into already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Only in certain conditions.

If there a few months off been finished.

Totally unfair though.

Why are they getting priority over people getting a mortgage to buy they house?

Blatent discrimination.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Nope.

Not all are exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I’ve seen plenty of painter/decorator vans , carpenters , electricians on the road the last week and expect to see more and more as the weeks go on. People are stretching the “essential work” to include anything. Ridiculous having construction shut once we’re below 1000 cases a day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Nope.

Not all are exempt.

There must be some sort of exceptions/loopholes etc.

In this case the houses are being build by a private developer and have been sold (off the plans as it were) to Cluid the non profit housing agency.
    Cluid then rent the houses to people who are on the local social housing list.

So they are going to end up being rented as social/affordable housing to people from the housing list.

So they are social housing.

Either way, the work did not restart after the Christmas holidays.

There must be some sort of exceptions/loopholes etc.

In this case the houses are being build by a private developer and have been sold (off the plans as it were) to Cluid the non profit housing agency.
    Cluid then rent the houses to people who are on the local social housing list.

So they are going to end up being rented as social/affordable housing to people from the housing list.

So they are social housing.

Either way, the work did not restart after the Christmas holidays.

• A limited number of social housing projects, including voids, designated as essential sites by Local Authorities based on set criteria (projects due to be completed in the next six to eight weeks)

Why are they getting priority over people getting a mortgage to buy they house?

To be fair there hasn't been an aesthetically pleasing housing estate built since the trade re started post 2016.

I find it hard to feel sorry for anybody stupid enough to pay 380- 780K for any of the monstrously ugly yokes going up around Dublin in recent years. Give me an ex corpo or pre 2010s semi for <250K any day as long as it's not in an absolute kip of an area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

To be fair there hasn't been an aesthetically pleasing housing estate built since the trade re started post 2016.

I find it hard to feel sorry for anybody stupid enough to pay 380- 780K for any of the monstrously ugly yokes going up around Dublin in recent years. Give me an ex corpo or pre 2010s semi for <250K any day as long as it's not in an absolute kip of an area.

New builds are now corpo houses
    Old Corpo houses are now privately bought

Crazy times

What's that got to do with anything we are discussing????

What's that got to do with anything we are discussing????

Just saying, if you're daft enough to pay top dollar for an ugly house off the plans, and the cancelled move in date leaves you in limbo as you're out of your old accommodation, I don't really have much sympathy for anyone in that situation. It's li like eejits who insist on paying for everything with card and never carry cash, then have a cry because they get stuck when some businesses rightly don't abide by it and deal in cash only.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

From what I can see most construction sites are still open. I have a good few family members working on sites and they are all open as normal. Who is really policing it? My neighbour is a plumber and is flat out working on various sites and private houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Yes I thought there would be more coverage of this also. Was due to move into new build middle of February but site is closed. Would have been a great relief as currently living with parent in high risk category. Of course the government have decided that the private buyer like myself will have to put life on hold but the social housing tenant will get to move into their new builds down the road from mine.

Ireland is a great little country indeed

Yes I thought there would be more coverage of this also. Was due to move into new build middle of February but site is closed. Would have been a great relief as currently living with parent in high risk category. Of course the government have decided that the private buyer like myself will have to put life on hold but the social housing tenant will get to move into their new builds down the road from mine.

Ireland is a great little country indeed

Sympathise entirely with you.

It's blatent discrimination, and you're trying to do it all yourself without any help from the state.

Accrodong to a poster here you deserve no sympathy because you're buying a new house.

I know I know.

Just saying, if you're daft enough to pay top dollar for an ugly house off the plans, and the cancelled move in date leaves you in limbo as you're out of your old accommodation, I don't really have much sympathy for anyone in that situation. It's li like eejits who insist on paying for everything with card and never carry cash, then have a cry because they get stuck when some businesses rightly don't abide by it and deal in cash only.

Yeah that comparison isn't the same at all.

I know it's terrible, silly people just trying to find a house to live in and do it the honest way.

Eejits alright.

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Just last week I saw three separate vanloads of lads all sitting together in the vans for their lunch break.

This is why construction is shut down.

What incoherent gibberish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

There is a lot of office/private residential construction in north & south Docklands and as far as I can see it's all closed now.

Except ejits in apartment two floors above me who were drilling and banging for half of January. :)

Advertisement