Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What have you achieved, learned or taken up since March 2020?

• 26-01-2021 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

I guess many people have a lot more time on their hands since the restrictions began. I keep hearing about people doing college courses, skills courses, certifications etc etc. I know many people that have become much fitter and are hitting PBs etc. Cold water swimming seems to have taken off. I also hear music, yoga, cooking, gardening have become even more popular...

( Becoming a virologist doesn't count ;) )

Edit: Plenty of other threads for the negative/irrelevant stuff.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I guess many people have a lot more time on their hands since the restrictions began. I keep hearing about people doing college courses, skills courses, certifications etc etc. I know many people that have become much fitter and are hitting PBs etc. Cold water swimming seems to have taken off. I also hear music, yoga, cooking, gardening have become even more popular...

(Besides everyone becoming virologists ;) )

Depression, mostly

EDIT: Being totally serious, I went back to college as a mature student in October of this year so I've got that going for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

How incredibly thick some people are when it comes to basic pandemic protocols regarding how to wear a mask and remove it properly, how to wash hands properly, how not to touch your face like your petting a dog when you're out and about in a shop. Nearly a year in to it and these people are still as clueless as day one.

And then people that creep down your back standing in queues and those who wear their mask with their nose bare its like wearing boxers with your lad hanging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    How incredibly thick some people are when it comes to basic pandemic protocols regarding how to wear a mask and remove it properly, how to wash hands properly, how not to touch your face like your petting a dog when you're out and about in a shop. Nearly a year in to it and these people are still as clueless as day one.

Aw please just leave one thread without the mention of the coronavirus..

I have learned 2/3 new skills such as alot of information about trading,stocks/investments/forex spent hours upon hours studying all about it in march/april/may

and also website design!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Gave up smoking - in turn put on a bit of weight - but trying to sort that now 1 year smoke free come March.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

As I went straight from office to work from home nothing changed, I didn't suddenly have all this extra time that I keep reading people mention... actually I found I had less time. As we now have to make two or three meals a day and that take a good chunk of time up.

Also, I found my patience to study was a lot shorter, I was learning a language and as I struggled I got less and less enthused very quickly... and go to the point where I gave in.

So in essence, I learned nothing, I achieved less than I would of in a normal environment... Oh but I did start reading again, when I have time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

started drinking a hell of a lot more since lockdown....getting really good at it now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I got into home fitness. I had been using the gym mainly for the classes. So I bought a set of free weights and started using various YouTube videos for cardio and strength and yoga. I wouldn't have been motivated to do it in the past but this year has demonstrated that I don't need a gym to keep fit.

My Mrs didn't cook the same dinner from March until August as a way to challenge herself to learn new foods. Lots of new dishes and ideas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Bought a house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

As I went straight from office to work from home nothing changed, I didn't suddenly have all this extra time that I keep reading people mention... actually I found I had less time. As we now have to make two or three meals a day and that take a good chunk of time up.

Also, I found my patience to study was a lot shorter, I was learning a language and as I struggled I got less and less enthused very quickly... and go to the point where I gave in.

So in essence, I learned nothing, I achieved less than I would of in a normal environment... Oh but I did start reading again, when I have time.

Thank you FlubberJ.

I could have written this. People complaining about nothing to do and all this extra time on their hands is frustrating to read when you're busier than ever, feels like you're working all day every day, never get to leave "the office" (your home!!). I also took a 20% pay cut to add insult to injury.

I started a 2 year masters degree in September 2019, before things kicked off. My first child arrived in February 2020, right as things were about to explode.

So, personally I am struggling, have struggled for a year now, and going to struggle probably for the next while.

I need a sun holiday, and some peace. I miss peace. I'm addled all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I got into home fitness. I had been using the gym mainly for the classes. So I bought a set of free weights and started using various YouTube videos for cardio and strength and yoga. I wouldn't have been motivated to do it in the past but this year has demonstrated that I don't need a gym to keep fit.

My Mrs didn't cook the same dinner from March until August as a way to challenge herself to learn new foods. Lots of new dishes and ideas.

Have you a good YouTube video for stretching? I need to work on hamstrings and calves.

• Advertisement

Have you a good YouTube video for stretching? I need to work on hamstrings and calves.

https://youtu.be/GLy2rYHwUqY

I’d try this one. Adriene is good. Yoga without being pure hippy-dippy. It’s not specifically for legs but it covers the whole body. I’m not an expert but I think it’s good to stretch the whole body if you’re sore. And then do extra on the legs to stretch the muscles over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭moonage

I learnt how to pretend to fly.

wHsMC8BK43AZwAR4B4r3syzHII9k6JsumI7NF6CF6s55l4WEZHV0_NKM6BLZsUqxDzS9KdabCOB3ha_islS0VQKM8427h6kmGbgPVt9TG1s_tWI9opiKwxva4ZzLr-_negbNCNBZ7taGrw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I took my online shopping to the next level. If there is ever an online shopping Olympics I’m a shoe in for gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Couple of card games.

Proudest achievement is that 9 year old and 11 year old started playing poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I have learnt how to make reasonable sense of scientific papers and learnt just how poorly much of our media have served us as source of information. There's also a keyboard in the corner that may (or may not) bring a new music career, someday! Very much a work in progress but fun and we do need fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0126/1192189-sea-swim-winter/
    Sea swimming surge continues even as temperatures drop.

Sea swimming 'exploded' in popularity in Ireland last year and that surge has continued, even as air and water temperatures have dropped.

Record numbers took up the activity in 2020, both on the coast and in inland waterways.

Throughout the winter, coastal locations have continued to attract a hardy mix of sea swimmers, among them seasoned devotees and enthusiastic newcomers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What have I learned? I learnt that I don't need cash. Been using my card more because I don't want to handle cash. Was just charged 0.84 cent in stamp duty, whereas other years I'd get charged 5 euro.

So I withdrew money 7 times last year. I went to check my statements from 2019 to compare and I withdrew money from the ATM 55 times. Huge difference and a saving of over four euro for not withdrawing money as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Went back to college in September part time. Struggling with working from home all day and then straight into college lectures two nights of the week, and another one or two nights doing college work. I'm learning loads but I'm not sure if I could say I'm enjoying it. I'm about half way through now so I need to just get on with it.

Found myself looking at more courses for September but I'll put it on the back burner for now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've taken up approximately 700 dog sh1ts.
    New puppy is worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Saw a neighbour cycling laps of a particular route all within 2km of home last April, thought 'I can do that, get myself out of the house each day', started doing a hour's cycling 4-5 days a week, which expanded to more than an hour when travel restrictions were lifted, and have cycled about 5000km since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Working as usual. Nothing changed.
    I had no extra time. Did envy a bit those with time for extra exercise, bbqing, etc.
    Did learn that people can be really stupid. Just thought they were stupid previously.
    How is wearing a mask correctly, washing your hands and not being an ass difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I've learned that it's every person for themselves. We're not all in this together. People on huge State salaries and people who are working from home on full pay don't give a **** about anyone else as they're alright. I gained an understanding of why people in the past either said nothing or even defended atrocities like the extermination of Jews, paedo priests and mother and baby homes. The Government has reneged on their side of the social contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Took an interest in gardening during the first lockdown, and the value of a back garden.

Successfully managed each lockdown without murdering any family members.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,975 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

On a small scale, I took up the guitar.
    I have had it beside me all the time since I started WTH. I would still consider myself at novice stage, but I'm certainly progressing.

On a bigger scale, I've started my own business since last March.
    My previous employment ceased as my employer retired so since then I've gone out on my own.
    Not having a guaranteed steady wage every Friday is daunting, with 3 school going kids and a mortgage, but it's been a good decision so far

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

A puppy :-)
    Had said no for approx 12 years, as 3 days / week we’re all out of the house.
    Lockdown was the only way we could do it. He’s a game-changer for the family.

GazzaL wrote: »
    ...I gained an understanding of why people in the past either said nothing or even defended atrocities like the extermination of Jews, paedo priests and mother and baby homes. The Government has reneged on their side of the social contract.

Ive got to ask: what is your new understanding of why people people defended the things you listed above?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Wife had a baby last August. Baby was born a full month early and suffers from silent reflux and colic so September to December is a blur due to lack of sleep but its all improving now. So i have started getting up 1/2 hour early in the morning to do 10 mins High Intensity Training or 20 mins yoga, once i consider Gyms safe again i will be back doing interval training on the treadmill.

Getting up in the morning and going straight to sitting at the desk was gradually killing me. Need that exercise kick.

Advertisement