Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strategy - Poll

• 25-01-2021 8:29pm

What strategy should Ireland pursue?

Rolling on/off lockdowns
    Open Up
    Aus/NZ style strict border control & Quarantine (until vaccination program done & how with NI/UK)
    Other (explain)

What Strategy Should Ireland Pursue? 212 votes

As is - Rolling on/off Lockdowns
    58% 123 votes
    Open Up
    8% 19 votes
    Australia/NZ style quarantine & Strict border control
    8% 19 votes
    Other (pls explain)
    24% 51 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Ozzy/NZ style...this is the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

Been saying 0 covid since we had zero covid. How much easier would it have been to just maintain that than get back from where we are now.

"Open up" I'm going to need an explanation from the specimen who think that is a valid approach, one beyond "old people don't matter".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Been saying 0 covid since we had zero covid. How much easier would it have been to just maintain that than get back from where we are now.

"Open up" I'm going to need an explanation from the specimen who think that is a valid approach, one beyond "old people don't matter".

You'll get told "Just protect the vulnerable and let the rest of us live our lives" with no further detail on how this is even possible and obviously no examples for us to follow because nobody on earth has managed it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

True, though the first option is also akin to 'no one matters but some groups whenever the government finds it convenient.' I weep for the critical thinking skills of anyone who actually agrees with the govt that the first was ever the right approach.

NZ/Australia approach was needed from day one - the govt can send over their 'political concerns' with that in paper format, need extra tissue paper anyway. You close down the borders, you beat the virus, and deal with the politicians crying later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

The_Brood wrote: »
    You beat the virus

There is no way to 'beat the virus'.

The last time mankind eradicated a virus it took three decades before we declared the end of smallpox in 1980 - the first and only time in history we achieved that. Covid will become an endemic virus for the foreseeable future and we're just going to have to deal with it.

We vaccinate, we reopen society and let the chips fall where they may. The lives of the many cannot be sacrificed on a fools errand to protect the few.

• Advertisement

Large vote on the poll here
    https://www.thejournal.ie/mandatory-quarantine-ireland-5332489-Jan2021/

Over 13k voted, 90% in favour of mandatory quarantine on entry

46 Long wrote: »
    There is no way to 'beat the virus'.

The last time mankind eradicated a virus it took three decades before we declared the end of smallpox in 1980 - the first and only time in history we achieved that. Covid will become an endemic virus for the foreseeable future and we're just going to have to deal with it.

We vaccinate, we reopen society and let the chips fall where they may. The lives of the many cannot be sacrificed on a fools errand to protect the few.

Interesting, seems to be a 'don't try' message. Last July Ireland had it down to such low numbers that I wonder how it would have been if there was mandatory quarantine and policing of the border instead of policing of people being within 5km of home like now. Australia and new Zealand, if they shut travel off completely would have successfully eradicated it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Covid strategy = two island (NZ) type approach.

(In an ideal world) two islands Britain & Ireland with the same strategy would be the best approach, but even then, all sea & air crossings from outside these islands would have to be delt with ... a daunting prospect.

Cutting this island off from Britain & the EU is not a runner, cutting this island off from Britain alone is not a runner either, neither is "sealing" the NI border, hence the only option left to us bring a two island approach.

Geographically we can never hope to emulate New Zealand, because even though they're also two islands, they are two islands in the middle of an ocean thousands of miles from anywhere else!

The green corridor between NZ & Australia can be monitored quite easily (when compared to our rather crowded geography) with arrangements between theses two islands, Europe, and further afield .....

Wonder will Boris & Michael agree to it?

I saw that FF woman Lisa Chambers last night on the Claire Byrne show, saying that the best way was to have a one island strategy, a single all Ireland approach, this just after it had been agreed that you cannot make NI have the same approach as us unless the neighbouring island GB has the same regionalised strategy, which makes sense (if Boris agrees to it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

I'd go with the strict quarantine although the lads up the north are incapable of seeing past Orange and Green.

I wonder could we get Borris to ban travel between NI and the rest of Britain because I'll tell you if there was an Irish Variant he wouldnt be long closing the boarders.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Interesting, seems to be a 'don't try' message. Last July Ireland had it down to such low numbers that I wonder how it would have been if there was mandatory quarantine and policing of the border instead of policing of people being within 5km of home like now. Australia and new Zealand, if they shut travel off completely would have successfully eradicated it

Australia and New Zealand don't have a truck based trade with 400m people, all their trade is done by container or bulk freighter so its easy for them to quarantine arrivals.

How do we treat haulers crossing numerous boarders to bring our essentials and export all our excess food if you want to quarantine all arrivals?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

ive said this many times you cant deal with foster and the dup regarding the nz option they are impossible to deal with so the zero covid options a non runner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Essentially what we could have done was ban all travel into the country. If you have to come in (and it would have to be a pretty ****ing good reason), you are shoved into a hotel for 2 weeks.

The armed forces should have been sent north to Man the Border. A shoot to kill policy for anyone caught trying to sneek in. Truck delivery drivers can be led to service areas. Trucks unloaded onto Irish trucks and away they go back from the ports or border area.

Another thing that could have been done was to say to Boris Johnson was to close your flipping borders and we could have had a collective bubble between the 2 islands. But Micheal Martin doesn't have the sufficient testosterone to come out and say something like that.

We could have had this whole thing shut down over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

But Micheal Martin doesn't have the sufficient testosterone to come out and say something like that.
    Is he missing a left bollock like yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Tag everyone and when the y stay out the 5k zap them or hunt them down I see 3 is now giving all movements by tracking our moblies to HSE and other agencies peoples human rights have been trashed here to placate those selfish pro lockdowners trolling here 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I mean what have we got to lose with zero covid, just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,797 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Stay as is rolling lockdowns, vaccinate 80% of population, open up when health service can cope and deaths are reduced to 10 a week or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm kind of half and half.

The strict border control and quarantine doesn't really affect me so if they want to do that, that's fine, but at the same time, I can't really handle a lockdown of the length needed to get to zero covid. Fine if we did this last year, but after 10 months of lockdowns, it's hard to handle another 6-7 month stint of a hard lockdown that would be required to get to zero covid.

If the vaccines don't work, i'm not exactly sure life is worth living anyway if we're stuck like this for years no matter what approach we take.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

froog wrote: »
    I mean what have we got to lose with zero covid, just go for it.
    How long we need such an approach is the unknown - if you say 12 weeks and you're still in it in week 20, it's a failure.

titan18 wrote: »

The strict border control and quarantine doesn't really affect me so if they want to do that, that's fine, but at the same time, I can't really handle a lockdown of the length needed to get to zero covid. Fine if we did this last year, but after 10 months of lockdowns, it's hard to handle another 6-7 month stint of a hard lockdown that would be required to get to zero covid.

If the vaccines don't work, i'm not exactly sure life is worth living anyway if we're stuck like this for years no matter what approach we take.

Why do you imagine vaccines won't work, when many past vaccines have done as expected?

is_that_so wrote: »
    How long we need such an approach is the unknown - if you say 12 weeks and you're still in it in week 20, it's a failure.

As opposed to the rip roaring success the government stragedy has been so far

Last time we followed government plans for a bare minimum open up,we ended up with highest infection rate in the world and bones of 8 or 900 dead already this month.....the living with covid plan is a failure,its time to try something new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Why do you imagine vaccines won't work, when many past vaccines have done as expected?

I don't, I do think they will, I was just saying if. It's hard not to be a feel a bit hopeless with all the crap with the AZ one and politicians like Varadkar going on saying we'll still be locked down next year etc when vaccinations should be well done on enough people by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

just removed my 3 sim card seeing as they are tracking and passing info on our movement i find quite disturbing dont know if vodafone is doing the same but i suspect they are
    pro lock downers just want more dosent matter if it not working

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

agoodpunt wrote: »
    just removed my 3 sim card seeing as they are tracking and passing info on our movement i find quite disturbing dont know if vodafone is doing the same but i suspect they are
    pro lock downers just want more dosent matter if it not working

You need to start getting burner phones, they'll find it hard to track you then.

As opposed to the rip roaring success the government strategy has been so far

Last time we followed government plans for a bare minimum open up,we ended up with highest infection rate in the world and bones of 8 or 900 dead already this month.....the living with covid plan is a failure,its time to try something new
    Well, NPHET say no and government say no to Zero COVID. There is no one perfect strategy, unless you can lock down millions of people as China has done. Whatever strategy any country uses, we are all in a holding patterns for vaccines. That is the end strategy and there is no point flipping at this point.

I don't, I do think they will, I was just saying if. It's hard not to be a feel a bit hopeless with all the crap with the AZ one and politicians like Varadkar going on saying we'll still be locked down next year etc when vaccinations should be well done on enough people by then.
    I can't argue with that. AZ deserve the book thrown at them and as for Leo et al I find it more useful to look at why they are saying that, not what. They've no idea, none of us do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If the vaccines don't work, (and judging by the doom and gloom from politicians, they don't seem to have much faith in them), it's time to pack it in and go all out for herd immunity.

We have sacrificed a year of our lives for the elderly. We have lost jobs (I have lost 2), businesses gone bust, relationships broken, it has sent people to be mentally on the brink, some people broken, normal health treatments cancelled for over a year, sending as many to their deaths that could have made it. We cannot continue to live like this to save people from a virus that mostly seems to kill people over their 80s. The average covid age of death in the UK is 82. The average life expectancy is 81.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Australia and New Zealand don't have a truck based trade with 400m people, all their trade is done by container or bulk freighter so its easy for them to quarantine arrivals.

How do we treat haulers crossing numerous boarders to bring our essentials and export all our excess food if you want to quarantine all arrivals?

When Victoria was locked down the trucks stopped at the border, unhooked their trailers, a south Australian truck hooked up and continued the journey

As per Melbourne, with more contagious variants, at least 4 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm not optimistic about beating something that is invisible and floats in the air.

• Advertisement

Stay as is rolling lockdowns, vaccinate 80% of population, open up when health service can cope and deaths are reduced to 10 a week or less.

I reckon this will be the route followed by authorities across Europe. The effort required for zero covid would push us past the time needed to get the high risk groups vaccinated.

The risk is if variants render vaccines useless

Advertisement