Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R/TIST in the Spotlight- OONegative

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

skyblue46 wrote: »
    And how younger people are terribly insensitive.....:(

Let's not encourage the myth that he's still young :p middle aged!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote: »
    You’re to skinny for my liking!!!!

You like a bit of girth do you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

As a Garda did you ever mistakenly raid the wrong gaff? :pac:

When you went to arrest someone and they ran did you ever smirk to your colleague/bad guy's buddy and go, here hold my coat :cool: and peg it after them? :D

Would you have kept on running if it wasn't for the forum? Do you think you push yourself harder because of the comradery on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Great stuff, love these threads.

The opposite to the "what do you miss about Ireland" question: what's the best thing about living in Den Haag?

Oooh and the worst/most annoying?

Where would you rather run, around where you live now or back home?

You have a day off work, no housework to do, no demands on your time, and no running. Just you and whatever you feel like doing. How do you spend it?

When you were only a young lad what did you want to be when you grew up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thanks for the questions L,

As a Garda did you ever mistakenly raid the wrong gaff? :pac:

Yip, back in ‘05 I was working in the Drug Unit, one of the lads was a pleb that I worked with. He arrived in one Friday afternoon saying he had gotten some quality info off a “tout” and was getting a warrant to search a house in the north inner city. No surveillance or background work done on the information whatsoever.

The rest of us weren’t happy but the pleb got on well with the Sergeant so off we went. Rammer taken out the front door was put in, in we walk to an elderly couple in there 70’s sitting at the table eating there dinner.

We left the pleb and Sergeant behind to do the explaining, the couple ended up getting a substantial amount of money off the Minister of Justice and rightly so.

When you went to arrest someone and they ran did you ever smirk to your colleague/bad guy's buddy and go, here hold my coat :cool: and peg it after them? :D

Being a heavy smoker in most of my AGS days thankfully most of my foot chases were fairly brief!!

Would you have kept on running if it wasn't for the forum?

I’d like to say I would, it gives me great piece of mind and time to myself to chill and relax and sort stuff out in my head.

Do you think you push yourself harder because of the comradery on here?

Never really thought about that to be honest with you, I’m always in competition with myself and always trying to outdo the old me. Seeing others from here gaining improvement drives me a bit alright but it’s mainly improving on myself that drives me most. The day will eventually come when I no longer can do that obviously.

• Advertisement

Hey C, any chance of updating the log?

The opposite to the "what do you miss about Ireland" question: what's the best thing about living in Den Haag?

Everything, I love the city. So much to do and see here, it’s not a place many think oh I’d love to visit The Hague but it’s 100% worth a trip. The facilities available to our children is 2nd to none which is a huge thing for our fondness for the city.

Oooh and the worst/most annoying?

Dutch people have absolutely no spatial awareness, a pet hate of mind. They have absolutely no clue of what’s going on around them 99% of the time.

Where I’m living now, every run I see something new and different. Do I head for the forest, park, dunes or the beach. The choices for a run are endless and boredom would never set in regards running routes here.

You have a day off work, no housework to do, no demands on your time, and no running. Just you and whatever you feel like doing. How do you spend it?

I’d go for a walk/cycle grab some lunch in one my favourite places in town, have a beer or two in Hoppzak. If the weather was good I’d then hit the beach with the family and get some dinner and have a late evening walk with them as the sun sets.

When you were only a young lad what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to emulate my Dad and be a soldier, he spent 36 years in the Army serving on overseas missions on 9 occasions. He used to bring me into Custume Barracks in Athlone regularly and I was mesmerized by all the various Army vehicles there. It looked like a really cool place to work!! My Dad is a big, proud Connemara man and I wanted to be just like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Hey C, any chance of updating the log?
    Not much to update it with to be honest, the running has been woefully neglected! Then again this weekend is the first time I've been back on Boards in months and it's definitely getting the enthusiasm going again so you never know.

Where I’m living now, every run I see something new and different. Do I head for the forest, park, dunes or the beach. The choices for a run are endless and boredom would never set in regards running routes here.
    Sounds amazing. I'm always very jealous of the variety you seem to have available to you there when I see your runs on Strava. I can see why you like it there!
    People with no spatial awareness do my head in though, I'm with you on that one.

Thanks for the answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

ReeReeG - every dinner party needs an Offaly woman to class it up!!

Couldn't agree more.

Great choice for this!

What are your favourite running conditions?
    What led you to this forum?
    Is there anything you would change about the A/R forum?
    How long did you and TbL date for? There seems to be so much 'tension' that I can only assume it was an intense relationship :pac:
    Who is your favourite Offaly footballer?
    Do you listen to any running podcasts? Or indeed, any podcasts?
    What are your favourite running shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Hey B, Fair play for doing this. Putting some of the rest of us to shame in the amount of time and effort you are putting into this forum and sharing your knowledge.

Few questions from me.

What's your favourite distance to race?

From what I remember you were a fairly handy GAA player? When did you stop playing and why. Did you make the county panel as a young lad?

Are you learning Dutch or any plans to learn it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks for the dinner invite! I'll bring the cigars.

1. Favourite film?
    2. Favourite Irish film?
    3. How much do you remember about your first race?
    4. Did you really snap something during Frank Duffy 2016(?) or did you just step on a twig?
    5. Is the spotlight better the second time around?
    6. Have you been able to identify a first-timer for the next one (there are a few).
    7. Will you pace me in Bundoran 2022?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Likewise thanks for the invite :) We all follow each others logs except one :confused:

What I meant by nemesis is not a mortal forum enemy, but who, from these parts you would secretly like to pip at the post in a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I love these threads. Sorry if any of these were asked already.

1. What sports do your kids do? You are a great inspiration for them and it's lovely to see your son getting mentions on Strava.
    2. Do you think you will ever move back to Ireland?
    3. Favourite book?
    5. Any bucket list place(s) you want to travel to?
    6. After you've ticked the Sub 3 goal, do you have any other dream times at shorter distances?
    7. Any interest in trail running, mountain running or ultra running?
    8. What would you dish up for the dinner party with Murph_D, Shotgun, Laineyfrecks (the dinner you didn't invite Skyblue too ;))

Thanks for the questions V,

What are your favourite running conditions?

A morning exactly like we have in Den Haag this morning, close to freezing with the sun shining and zero wind to speak of. It’s beautiful running through the dunes looking at the North Sea being flat calm with the sun reflecting off it.

What led you to this forum?

I originally came to Boards in my former guise and hung around the golf forum, it’s when I got into running back in 2010 that I migrated over here. Haven’t left since!!!

Is there anything you would change about the A/R forum?
    How long did you and TbL date for? There seems to be so much 'tension' that I can only assume it was an intense relationship :pac:

Oh it was a relationship based on pure, raw passion. What happened on that first date along the Royal Canal will stay with me forever.......

Joking aside, I met C probably at the most difficult time in my life. My depression was at its worst and he reached out to meet for a run, I was really really apprehensive about it but thankfully my wife encouraged me to go. He doesn’t know this but our running dates really helped me and acted as a turning point for me with my depression battle. That’s something I’ll always be hugely grateful to him for.

Who is your favourite Offaly footballer?

If he lived a few hundred yards down the road he’d have been playing for us, Ciaran McManus. I played midfield at the time and he was a super player to watch. A man that could field the ball, score from play and was deadly from a placed ball. He had an unreal engine and never stopped. Fantastic footballer.

Do you listen to any running podcasts? Or indeed, any podcasts?

No, not a podcast man or rarely run to music. Prefer to run without any distractions and listen to nature.

What are your favourite running shoes?

They are no longer in production but the Nike Flyknit FK, they were so comfortable and the spring from them was amazing. I have a pair of Zoom Fly 3’s ATM but they are nothing compared to the FK’s. I’ll only purchase the poor mans cheat shoe!!!!

Alright J, how they hanging.....

What's your favourite distance to race?

10 miles, I’ve always loved the distance. I’ve probably raced the distance more than other. It’s right between the pain of a 10k and torture of a half marathon!!

From what I remember you were a fairly handy GAA player? When did you stop playing and why. Did you make the county panel as a young lad?

I held my own, played U14, U16, was close to making Minor and should have played U21. Our underage club was formed in ‘94 when clubs of Tang & Maryland amalgamated to give young players a chance to play. We won county titles at U12, U14, U16 and Minor our first year so some focus fell on the club and players got chances to represent the county.

I knew 99 times out of 100 I was better than the lad I was playing against, it wasn’t cockiness just the confidence I had in my own ability. I played full forward for the secondary school team and remember scoring 0-14 in a game. Five points off the ground with my right, five off the ground with my left and rest from play. Still to this day I don’t know which is my stronger foot to kick with.

I stopped because of a raw deal my Dad got as the club grounds man, it’s my only regret in life if I’m honest. Giving up the game I loved at 21.

Are you learning Dutch or any plans to learn it?

No, no plans to learn it J, it’s such a diverse city here so English is widely spoken. It’s the first choice language in the new job to. Most Dutch people will recognise your first language is English when they hear the pigeon Dutch and speak English to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Jaysus - coulda sworn you've done this about 4 times in the past.

(1) Any Nicknames from schooldays??
    (2) How much time per week reading Boards updates??
    (3) Jebuz over Krusty - Why?
    (4) Do you remember the 1st time you met every Boardsie?
    (5) Your 1st pre-arranged running date with a Boardsie?
    (6) Would you change your Boards name to 'Chairman of the Boards'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Likewise thanks for the invite :) We all follow each others logs except one :confused:

What I meant by nemesis is not a mortal forum enemy, but who, from these parts you would secretly like to pip at the post in a race?

He's always calling me a cantekorous Cork bastid, so he'd probably like to pip me at the line. But that's not going to happen anytime soon 'cos he's too slow.

:P:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

10 miles, I’ve always loved the distance. I’ve probably raced the distance more than other. It’s right between the pain of a 10k and torture of a half marathon!!

Oooh are we allowed 2 goes?? :D I've thought of something I'd really like to know. What's your guide to executing a perfect 10 mile race?

If you feel like throwing a 10k version into it feel free :D

Hey D, thanks for the questions.

1. Favourite film?

Full Metal Jacket, I practically know it off by heart. Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann and Private Gomer Pyle are two great acting performances I think. Anything war related, massive fan of Band of Brother’s to.

2. Favourite Irish film?

Adam and Paul, it’s a life I could genuinely relate to doing the job I did at the time. The lads play the part down to a tee. I once came across a lady in a car on Dollymount Beach trying to inject herself in her vagina as all her over veins were shot to bits. She had no clue we were there for a long time she was that out of it.

3. How much do you remember about your first race?

I remember the wind on the bridge out to Mutton Island, I thought to myself there has to be much easier things to be doing in a Saturday morning. I then turned and had it at my back and thought this is an absolutely fantastic thing to be doing!!!

4. Did you really snap something during Frank Duffy 2016(?) or did you just step on a twig?

That crack still happens from time to time D, only happened last night as I was taking a bath. Sounds like a bone breaking but obviously isn’t.

5. Is the spotlight better the second time around?

Ask me that at the end of the week!!

6. Have you been able to identify a first-timer for the next one (there are a few).

Have a few in mind already alright, it won’t be a previous interviewee like myself.

7. Will you pace me in Bundoran 2022?

I will if you hang around for a few pints and a cigar this time!! I can’t wait to run that race again, one of my favourites.

Nobody to be truthful as much as the Cantankerous Cork man thinks it’s him!! If I beat people from here in race circumstances I beat them, it’s not something before a race I set out to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Have a few in mind already alright, it won’t be a previous interviewee like myself.

Phew! #offthehook

Thanks also for the dinner invite, that's a table I would very much like to be at :cool:

I didn't realise your dad was from Connemara but it certainly explains a lot :D #tblromance

• Advertisement

Phew! #offthehook

Thanks also for the dinner invite, that's a table I would very much like to be at :cool:

I didn't realise your dad was from Connemara but it certainly explains a lot :D #tblromance

TbL is a City Slicker, I’ve more Connemara blood in me than that fella!!!

Hey E, cheers for the questions.

1. What sports do your kids do? You are a great inspiration for them and it's lovely to see your son getting mentions on Strava.

Our son does soccer on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Basketball on Monday and Thursday and Swimming on Wednesday. Our daughter does soccer on Monday, hockey on Wednesday, Sports Skills on Thursday, Krav Maga and Dancing on Saturday and Gymnastics on a Sunday. So they are both kept busy!!!

2. Do you think you will ever move back to Ireland?

Yes we will but hopefully not till our eldest is finished with school. He struggles badly with his Maths and here he has a support teacher in class with him to help with this, not something he would receive if we were in Ireland. He also attends counseling once a week for his social interaction and confidence issues. He struggles badly with confidence and this again is something that isn’t readily available at home.

3. Favourite book?

I don’t really have one, I’ve read plenty of good books but can’t really say I have a favorite. Currently reading Win at all Costs - the inside story on the Nike Oregon Project and Alberto Salazar.

4. Any bucket list place(s) you want to travel to?

Warsaw, Moscow, Budapest to name a few. Old eastern block cities intrigue me. I absolutely loved Prague last February, the olde worldy feel of the city is something I really really liked.

5. After you've ticked the Sub 3 goal, do you have any other dream times at shorter distances?

Like to get my 10 mile time down as close to 60 minutes as I can and hopefully run a sub 80 minute half marathon. Fingers crossed that the half goal goes ahead in October.

6. Any interest in trail running, mountain running or ultra running?

Most of my runs here are ran on trails which I love, the other two don’t really float my boat to be truthful. Anything above marathon distance is crazy stuff!!

7. What would you dish up for the dinner party with Murph_D, Shotgun, Laineyfrecks (the dinner you didn't invite Skyblue too ;))

Traditional Irish roast beef, roast potatoes, vegetables, stuffing, mashed spuds and gravy with apple tart and cream for afters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

8. What would you dish up for the dinner party with Murph_D, Shotgun, Laineyfrecks (the dinner you didn't invite Skyblue too ;))

Traditional Irish roast beef, roast potatoes, vegetables, stuffing, mashed spuds and gravy with apple tart and cream Fruitless Trifle for afters.

Fixed that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good job I stopped dabbling with vegetarianism. ;)

Thanks for those answers, B. Excellent film choices. A lot of people would agree with you on Adam and Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Enjoying this B, fair play

In terms of Athletics, who would be you favourite Athlete(past or present) and why?

Favourite genre of music and fav musican?

Have you any phobia or fears like spiders,heights, finding TBL in your bed, etc?

Unlimited resources or budget, is there anything you are passionate about that you would like to change in the world? (Bit deep)

Hey A, how’s tricks, thanks for for the questions.

(1) Any Nicknames from schooldays??

Nope, I was teased incessantly about my ears growing up alright but none of these I considered a nickname. I received the nickname “Bendy” in AGS, I’ll let ye try figure it out!!!

(2) How much time per week reading Boards updates??

Probably way to much, it’s either pure nosiness on my part or me being just plain sad. I just gravitate back here for whatever reason, some great characters and logs here that keep bringing me back.

(3) Jebuz over Krusty - Why?

Why Spurs over Arsenal? I just preferred jebuz log to Krusty’s, look as I stated in the Essential logs thread both would be a cert for the Boards A/R Logs Hall of Fame if there was such a thing. Have you read jebuz report from the Berlin marathon in 2016 recently, amazing stuff!!!

Yip, Tom Brennan 5k 2013 is the first day I met your good self along with Johnny(blockic), Kate, Dave McMahon and Robbie(Redrunner).

(5) Your 1st pre-arranged running date with a Boardsie?

Himself from the West was my first pre-arranged running date, I had met a few at races but that’s the first time I held hands with a fellow Boardsie!!

(6) Would you change your Boards name to 'Chairman of the Boards'

Somehow I’ll never achieve the iconic status of Eamon Coughlan, OOnegative will suffice for now.

Glad you’re enjoying it D, thanks for the questions.

In terms of Athletics, who would be you favourite Athlete(past or present) and why?

I really like Meb Keflezighi, I’ve bought, read and enjoyed any books he has released. He’s a man that wasn’t the most talented runner or wasn’t blessed with raw speed of others but he worked damn hard at his profession and was rightly rewarded for his sustained hard work over the years. Something I hugely admire in anyone is hard work.

Favourite genre of music and fav musican?

Dance/Electronic/Rave whatever people like to call it. The song Out of Space started my love, I listened to all genres of it be it house, techno, trance, ambient, hardcore etc. I lived in a nite club called The System in Longford(there was a sister club of the same name in Dublin to) in my teens. I can put hand on heart as I type and say I never needed anything chemical to enjoy the music. If I had to choose a fav band it’s The 4th Dimension, a now defunct group that came from Kerry of all places, there stuff to this day sends chills down my spine.

Have you any phobia or fears like spiders,heights, finding TBL in your bed, etc?

Not a great man for heights, but a genuine phobia I have is bridges, I turn into a bumbling idiot going over them. There’s a long bridge I’ve been over too many times in Rennes in France that has had me close to a breakdown on a few occasions.

Unlimited resources or budget, is there anything you are passionate about that you would like to change in the world? (Bit deep)

I don’t know how much money or resources would help it, but bullying is something I’d love to eradicate from the world. I was bullied a lot growing up, I was big for my age but absolutely useless at standing up for myself, just wasn’t into confrontation. My ears were where it usually started and once the bully got a reaction it progressed.

Once had a lad throw a tennis ball directly at my nose and bust it open and laugh openly in my face after then blame me for bleeding everywhere and getting him in trouble!!

But the name calling hurt the most as it was about my personal appearance, it was hard enough growing up as a teenager without the added trauma of thinking you were some kind of freak because of your facial appearance!!

I see my young lad getting it now and it breaks my heart, he like me is not into confrontation and won’t fight back. I protect and comfort him as best I can and hope he doesn’t get it as bad as his Dad. Bullying has no place in society as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'm with you on the bullying, disgusting behaviour and it would indeed break your heart to see your own going through it.

I have the one question for ya, B.

What marathon (in an ideal/non-covid world) are you thinking of for the sub 3 effort?

Ok, Question 1.1, What training plan would you use? Homemade? Online coach? Hansons? JD's? The two lads with the funny surnames?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

My sister went out with the keyboard player from 4D for years. My claim to fame was knowing those lads. Haha. Mossy was a lunatic. Loved their music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hey A, how’s tricks, thanks for for the questions.

Yip, Tom Brennan 5k 2013 is the first day I met your good self along with Johnny(blockic), Kate, Dave McMahon and Robbie(Redrunner).

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82476902&postcount=41

:)

Advertisement