Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW i3 Continental tyres.

Options
  • 23-01-2021 12:05pm

Yes they make a big difference in the wet, cornering even if they're only on the rear, it tends not to slide as much when you really floor it at decent speed, it just makes it more fun in the wet.

Definitely worth it over the Bridgestones, even flooring it from standstill on really wet roads there's hardly any wheel spin at all, now the i3 was never anything like a FWD EV in the wet but there was still some wheel spin and it did slide a little more.

They seem to be quieter but then again they're new. But without doubt the extra wet grip is noticeable so you can have that extra fun without having to be as cautious, would love to have the Continentals on the front too.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yes they make a big difference in the wet, cornering even if they're only on the rear, it tends not to slide as much when you really floor it at decent speed, it just makes it more fun in the wet.

Definitely worth it over the Bridgestones, even flooring it from standstill on really wet roads there's hardly any wheel spin at all, now the i3 was never anything like a FWD EV in the wet but there was still some wheel spin and it did slide a little more.

They seem to be quieter but then again they're new. But without doubt the extra wet grip is noticeable so you can have that extra fun without having to be as cautious, would love to have the Continentals on the front too.

Which ones did you put on, when we put the Continentals AllSeasonContacts on the Ioniq eliminated the wheel slip, tyres make a huge difference!

liamog wrote: »
    Which ones did you put on, when we put the Continentals AllSeasonContacts on the Ioniq eliminated the wheel slip, tyres make a huge difference!

They're Summer Tyres. Ecocontact 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ricey3509

I’m interested to know how much they cost? Our postponed NCT is coming up soon and l suspect our tyres are on the limit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Nice, I think tyres are one of the areas that the Koreans save a bit of money on, they go for tyres with better fuel economy but don't spend the extra for performance. For most people they are probably fine.

I usually start with https://www.thetirelab.com/ and then follow through to the test by individual publications, my Mini came Hankook Ventus S1 evo3, they're meant to have really good performance but terrible wear, according to AutoBild I should expect 25,000km compared to 65,000km on the Conti's we use. Looks like the tyres you've picked are best in class on wear, noise and fuel efficiency but you'll lose a bit on wet performance.

The Eco contact 6 got A for wet and perform brilliantly so not much of a loss ? They're a lot better than the Bridgestones in the Wet.

• Advertisement

It's all relative, take the example of the ADAC summer tyre test, the EcoContacts came 8/12 for wet performance and 1/12 of fuel efficiency.
    That score was basically right on the average mark, so not something I'd be too concerned about. Basically you picked a really good summer tyre, and is probably the best balance particularly when it comes to EV usage where fuel efficiency should probably be weighted higher.

It's all relative, take the example of the ADAC summer tyre test, the EcoContacts came 8/12 for wet performance and 1/12 of fuel efficiency.
    That score was basically right on the average mark, so not something I'd be too concerned about. Basically you picked a really good summer tyre, and is probably the best balance particularly when it comes to EV usage where fuel efficiency should probably be weighted higher.

I haven't noticed fuel economy difference yet but I sure notice the wet performance so I'm a happy camper. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kevin Forde

Ordered a pair of Continental Eco6 for the back end of my i3 Rex a couple of days ago. None available locally. €126/tyre on oponeo and local guy will fit etc for €20/tyre.

Ordered a pair of Continental Eco6 for the back end of my i3 Rex a couple of days ago. None available locally. €126/tyre on oponeo and local guy will fit etc for €20/tyre.

If you were on the Bridgestones you'll notice a big difference. Especially when your battery is warm enough to allow max acceleration usually only after a full charge and precondition set when it's very cold. It was pretty sluggish for me today, haven't had it plugged in for over a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Assume mad_lad that you have the different tyre sizes on the rears?

155/70 R19 vs 175/60 R19
    155/60 R20 vs 175/55 R20

What's the point of the different rears BTW? My i3 has all same tyres (155/70 R19).

I had EcoContacts on the Leaf before and it did improve the grip a bit (it was fwd) but what I noticed more was efficiency, I got a 7-8% boost.

The Bridgestones are BB (energy/wet) rated so I don't think there's going to be much difference in range or grip from the Continentals rated AB?

• Advertisement

The Eco contact 6 got A for wet and perform brilliantly so not much of a loss ? They're a lot better than the Bridgestones in the Wet.

No, they're AB rated (energy A, wet B)

McGiver wrote: »
    No, they're AB rated (energy A, wet B)

Wrong, in the spec below they're A A I even took a screen shot so you'd believe me. :D

The speed rating is 86Q 160 Km/Hr which might make the difference, the i3 can't reach 160 so it's a perfectly safe Tyre and a higher speed rating would be unnecessary.

B0n0MSP.png

Assume mad_lad that you have the different tyre sizes on the rears?

155/70 R19 vs 175/60 R19
    155/60 R20 vs 175/55 R20

What's the point of the different rears BTW? My i3 has all same tyres (155/70 R19).

I had EcoContacts on the Leaf before and it did improve the grip a bit (it was fwd) but what I noticed more was efficiency, I got a 7-8% boost.

The Bridgestones are BB (energy/wet) rated so I don't think there's going to be much difference in range or grip from the Continentals rated AB?

Yes I have the 175/60 19 on the rear.

I presume this was for more grip on the rear being RWD I wouldn't like the skinnier tyres on the rear.

When I looked up the bridgestones they were C in the wet.

The Eco Contact 6 tyres give me much better wet grip, I'm 100% happy with them it does make a notable difference and I noticed very quickly they are a lot better than the Bridgestones.

For instance, crossing onto the main road from my local road onto the Old N9 and then onto the M9 North Slip road at the Castledermot/Carlow, crossing on to the M9 at hard throttle then giving it max throttle when the car is reasonably straight, no spin at all compared to the old tyres, then coming off the corner of the roundabout onto the M9 slip road at max throttle no wheel spin and the rear doesn't slip out like it used to so I'd say that's a win.

Wrong, in the spec below they're A A I even took a screen shot so you'd believe me.

OK, got it now.

Was looking at 155/70:
    Bridgestone BB
    Continental AB

Seems the 175/55 have different ratings (BC and AA).

liamog wrote:
    and then follow through to the test by individual publications, my Mini came Hankook Ventus S1 evo3, they're meant to have really good performance but terrible wear, according to AutoBild I should expect 25,000km compared to 65,000km on the Conti's we use. Looks like the tyres you've picked are best in class on wear, noise and fuel efficiency but you'll lose a bit on wet performance.

Yes, this is the price for A energy rating. You get half the mileage...

Yes I have the 175/60 19 on the rear.

Do you have different wheel size on the rear then?
    My wheels are all 5x19. I know there are also 5.5x19 wheels.

Yes, this is the price for A energy rating. You get half the mileage...

I think it's the price you pay for a sticky performance tyre, the rubber is stickier to give you better performance. Of the two tyres I mentioned the Conti's have an EU B rating, and the Hankook's a C.

OK, got it now.

Was looking at 155/70:
    Bridgestone BB
    Continental AB

Seems the 175/55 have different ratings (BC and AA).

Yeah for me the Bridgestones are rated C probably for the rear, don't remember.

Do you have different wheel size on the rear then?
    My wheels are all 5x19. I know there are also 5.5x19 wheels.

Yes the front Tyres are skinnier than the rear, don't remember the sizes off the top of my head.

I think it's the price you pay for a sticky performance tyre, the rubber is stickier to give you better performance. Of the two tyres I mentioned the Conti's have an EU B rating, and the Hankook's a C.

The Eco contact 6 are rated A fuel, if I remember correctly my size rear tyres in bridgestone were B fuel and C wet, definitely C wet.

The Eco Contact 6 have without doubt more wet grip no Idea about economy yet, will have to wait until the weather is warmer to know really, I don't really mind if there's a small hit in economy for safer wet tyres.

• Advertisement

The Eco Contact 6 have without doubt more wet grip no Idea about economy yet, will have to wait until the weather is warmer to know really, I don't really mind if there's a small hit in economy for safer wet tyres.

Indeed, that's why I went with the AllSeason's over the EcoContacts's. I figured a safer tyre when the temperature was between 0°C and 10°C was more important than the extra range we might gain in Summer. My opinion is that all Irish car's (unless you live in Mountains) should come with all season tyres, we're cold and wet enough for enough of the year that they make sense, but don't usually get wintery enough that it makes sense to do a proper summer/winter switch.

It's both - to achieve a lower rolling resistance AND stickiness requires different rubber with some special additives I guess and that's they get worn out much faster.

It's both - to achieve a lower rolling resistance AND stickiness requires different rubber with some special additives I guess and that's they get worn out much faster.

Surely there's no low rolling resistance sticky tyre, that's both ends of the same spectrum.

It's funny actually, I've always thought that the all seasons were a jack of all trades and a master of none so I avoided them.

But funny enough the cold doesn't seem to effect the ECO Contact 6 as much, of course it's going to be a compromise on actual snow but this isn't common in Ireland anyway and I don't live in a hilly area.

When I was driving vans years ago I put proper winter tyres on because I travelled all over Wicklow a lot and the Tyres made a massive difference in the Snow, night and day. But I don't drive vans now, thank God, don't drive around Wicklow in the Snow and don't drive much in Snow in general these days as it doesn't snow much and hasn't since 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Wrong, in the spec below they're A A I even took a screen shot so you'd believe me. :D

The speed rating is 86Q 160 Km/Hr which might make the difference, the i3 can't reach 160 so it's a perfectly safe Tyre and a higher speed rating would be unnecessary.

B0n0MSP.png

They're A B according to Continental themselves -

cn.jpg

Unless there was some revision whereby they went from A A to A B but if you ordered these tyres today they would be A B.

VeVeX wrote: »

cn.jpg

Unless there was some revision whereby they went from A A to A B but if you ordered these tyres today they would be A B.

I've no idea what's going on then all I do know is feck the ratings the proof is in the driving and I give them an A over the Bridgestones because they're a lot better in the wet. :D

VeVeX wrote: »

cn.jpg

So they are the same as the 155/70 - AB, as I said.:cool:

Advertisement