Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Heard her previously doing the radio forecasts. Excellent debut on the big screen

Yep - light years ahead of Joanne - and on her debut too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1321953184026419200?s=19

Fascinating website linked to this tweet.
    A good resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,295 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Met Éireann will be launching a new monthly forecast next week.
    It will be on Met.ie and it will be updated by forecasters twice a week
    https://www.independent.ie/weather/met-eireann-to-start-publishing-weather-forecast-on-its-website-in-new-year-39909063.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I noticed that ME had the Met Uk warning for NI on its tv forecast earlier, the first time i have seen it on tv.
    I wonder was it due to recent complaint about the lack of NI coverage. Glad to see it regardless.

Anyone hear Radio1 Gavin Gallagher sea forecast just there at 06:04?
    "s-s-seve-en" and "shh-now" and other verbal errors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭tphase

zell12 wrote: »
    Anyone hear Radio1 Gavin Gallagher sea forecast just there at 06:04?
    "s-s-seve-en" and "shh-now" and other verbal errors
    If he's new to the broadcasting lark, I'd cut him a bit of slack. A bit of a stutter and a thick culchie accent is hardly the worst sin.

I was thinking more of a few brandies were had, to keep warm of course

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Comhrá

zell12 wrote: »
    I was thinking more of a few brandies were had, to keep warm of course

He appears to have a very slight stammer. He's been on the radio for some time now.
    A bit unfair to suggest the above. Fair play to him. He's doing just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In the last hour or so I've received 7 notifications on my phone from Met Eireann App about the one weather warning they've received from Met Eireann. What's going on?

As I'm typing, another notification has arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

JCX BXC wrote: »
    In the last hour or so I've received 7 notifications on my phone from Met Eireann App about the one weather warning they've received from Met Eireann. What's going on?

As I'm typing, another notification has arrived.

Strange alright and none received here. Were the notifications regional in nature?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

19 January 2021 23:26

Today
    Outbreaks of rain will continue overnight with some sleet possible in northern areas. Lowest temperatures of zero to 3 degrees over the northern half of the country and ranging 4 to 7 degrees further south.

Tomorrow
    On Wednesday, rain will continue in Leinster and east Munster. It will be heavy at times and will turn to sleet or snow in parts of Leinster in the afternoon, especially on high ground. It will be brighter in Ulster and Connacht with sunny spells and scattered showers, some wintry. Highest temperatures of 3 to 6 degrees with moderate northwest breezes.

Outlook
    SUMMARY: Turning colder for the rest of the week with widespread frosts at nights. Showery conditions, with falls of rain, sleet and hail. Good sunny spells too.

Wednesday night: Rain along eastern coasts at first, with some sleet and snow on high ground in the Irish Sea. Scattered blustery showers, mainly in the western half of the country will also turn wintry at times overnight. A frost will set in with good clear spells and lowest temperatures of -2 to +2 degrees in a light to moderate westerly wind, fresher on western and southern coasts.

Thursday: A cool day with good sunny spells. Widespread showers over the western half of the country, more scattered further east will bring a risk of hail and some wintry falls. Highest temperatures of 4 to 7 degrees in mainly moderate westerly winds.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

The forecast on RTE 9 o clock news 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The forecast on RTE 9 o clock news ������

Blame on that lies solely on RTE. Probably too busy rubbing their hands at the prospect of making another 12,000 quid per ad right after that forecast to even consider being in any way professional.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Blame on that lies solely on RTE. Probably too busy rubbing their hands at the prospect of making another 12,000 quid per ad right after that forecast to even consider being in any way professional.

Sorry but that's Gerry's fault, 100%. How could that happen?

A strange one alright. Gerry is the most experienced and sure-footed of all the weather presenters.

I'm sure he was mortified when (if) he saw it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Strange alright and none received here. Were the notifications regional in nature?

Thats because when issued there were some mistakes with a question mark at the end of one of the warnings. They then have to issue again or update the warning hence why there was a few notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Misspellings, bad grammar or wrong information regularly appear in the news ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

The forecast on RTE 9 o clock news ������

I think they should be applauded for going that far into FI (T8040+) and not coming up with "day after tomorrow" type numbers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Almost every day the 5 days summary graphic pays little relationship to the forecast in the previous 2 minutes. They just fling those rain/sun symbols on at random.

Just happened again. "Weather settling down a bit by Thursday/Friday" - rain icons for Friday.

anyone know why the web cams are unavailable? Link to them is gone
    GDPR issues, I'd guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

tphase wrote: »
    GDPR issues, I'd guess

Any update on this?

Michelle Dillon on Claire Byrne Live just now giving some insights into the possibilities of snow for the coming days. Very good explanation of the weather systems at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

tphase wrote: »
    GDPR issues, I'd guess

Its a great pity, i really liked looking at them especially in interesting conditions like we have a t the moment.
    Its a shame if it is GDPR that they feel makes them have to take them down, they mostly just showed fields, dont really see any GDPR type infringements there?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/

You can see what conditions are like across the country. Select a county to save time. Also has air and road temperature from every location listed updated every 10 minutes.

Supercell wrote: »
    Its a great pity, i really liked looking at them especially in interesting conditions like we have a t the moment.
    Its a shame if it is GDPR that they feel makes them have to take them down, they mostly just showed fields, dont really see any GDPR type infringements there?
    Some of the cameras did show peoples houses. One of the Malin Head cameras was taken offline some time ago - I suspect someone complained about it infringing on their privacy and that triggered ME to have a wider discussion about privacy issues in respect to all of their cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Does anybody have a problem with the Met Eireann widget.
    Mine shows Dublin even though I'm in Wexford.
    App has full permission and location.
    When I press refresh it stays on Dublin.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bejubby wrote: »
    Thanks
    It refuses to "save" a location. I have two, for two places that I'm frequently in, and it persistently relocates from one to the other for no apparent reason.

Not the end of the world, but really annoying!

• Bejubby wrote: »
    Thanks

Whole website is a joke shop, trying to access the radar a trial in itself. Just plain awkward and clunky, even getting the forecast requires pulling and dragging. It needs to be scrapped and legacy edition reinstated for simple accessibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Whole website is a joke shop, trying to access the radar a trial in itself. Just plain awkward and clunky, even getting the forecast requires pulling and dragging. It needs to be scrapped and legacy edition reinstated for simple accessibility.

All the info is there but needs a tidy up,grand after that ,except for my location issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Bloc

Did anyone notice that the radar is missing the whole of county Dublin and that there's a permanent echo just out into the Irish sea.

Advertisement