Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breast pump advice! Head is melted!

• 05-01-2021 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I want to buy a breastpump. I was looking at the Lansinoh electric one or Ardo Calypso.

My friend has Tommee Tippee bottles and a microwave steriliser that she was going to give me. Can they be used with either of these pump? I heard mixed reviews with the Tommee Tippee pump adaptors - some say they can be used with Lansinoh pump, others say they can't. Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

FairCity12 wrote: »
    I want to buy a breastpump. I was looking at the Lansinoh electric one or Ardo Calypso.

My friend has Tommee Tippee bottles and a microwave steriliser that she was going to give me. Can they be used with either of these pump? I heard mixed reviews with the Tommee Tippee pump adaptors - some say they can be used with Lansinoh pump, others say they can't. Please help!

I think they’re both closed systems? Which is the main thing I’d be looking out for. I’ve never used either, but have seen the ardo recommended a good bit. Or the spectra?
    Secondly, you don’t need a steriliser if it’s for breast milk, soap and water is fine.
    Thirdly, don’t worry too much about bottles just yet- different babies have a preference for different bottles, so you might find you need to try a few to get one that suits your baby.
    Finally- one of my kids refused point blank to take any bottle ever, so all of the above might be information you’ll never need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Tigger1

I went through the same when I was pregnant with my first, bought a tommee tippe hand pump that was so awful to use. The a lansinoh pump on my second that I never used because she was a champion feeder and champion sleeper!
    On my third baby I bought no pump, and needed to buy an emergency one as she was a terrible feeder and sleeper. Bought a cheap pump from Mothercare that did the job but on my last baby ( 4year gap!) I heard about the silicone pumps.
    Not really a pump but they are brilliant for just helping relieve soreness and help build up supply a bit. The Hakka pump was the one I bought but many more similar types available now. When feeding from one boob, just attach to the other and the suction does the work. No noise and not even a bit sore. You can even get kids for the pump now and stands so you don't need to worry about it spilling!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Tigger1

Lids not kids!!�� Have enough to be dealing with!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FairCity12

Haha I've decided to go with a Haakaa for now. Lidl have them tomorrow if I manage to get my hands on one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

The Haaka is incredible for catching the let down on the non feeding boob. I used to get about an ounce each boob/ feed. It is also great to ease engorgement while not really encouraging milk production!
    I had the Ardo Calypso for my two kids and I loved it. It could be used as a single or double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FairCity12

I was looking at either the Lansinoh 2 in 1 or Ardo double. I thought it might be useful to have a double! I might wait now and see how I get on with the breastfeeding first. First baba and find it all a bit daunting! My poor nipples! Haha

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

The Haaka is absolutely brilliant for starting off, you can use it to catch let down on the opposite side when feeding and then when your supply is established after 4-6 weeks you can use it to pump if you need.

I borrowed a friend’s Medela swing to see if I liked it and it was really good but I was hesitant on spending over €100 when I wasn’t sure I’d need to pump much.

I ended up buying a double pump from Amazon – a brand called Bellababy but it seems to be out of stock now :( It’s a really great little pump and I’ve been using it daily for 4 months with no issues.

My friend bought this single pump from amazon and raves about it – no wires so it’s a bit easier to clean: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PiAEK-Breastfeeding-Breastpump-Rechargeable-Adjustable/dp/B07WFSY979

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

I've had all pumps... *sigh*
    on my first I didn't have much of a supply and she was a lazy feeder, so I ended up borrowing a manual Medela Harmony pump, which absolutely helped destroy already sore nipples. I switched to an electric Medela Swing double pump which I also borrowed, it was a really nice pump and helped increase my supply and was a bit gentler to use.

I returned the borrowed one and bought an Ameda Lactaline double pump, as I found the Medela electric one very expensive. My Ameda one wasn't quite as nice as the Medela one but it did the job and I also used it for my second baby when we had feeding problems because of a tongue tie, so definitely worth the money in the end.

I bought a manual Medela Harmony pump for going back to work, but baby decided to stop drinking milk before I went back to work, so that went unused in the end. The Hakaa was a great little pump, which as other said can attach on the other side while feeding baby; I also found it handy for relieving sore boobs when engorged and no baby to feed. It can attach and you can prop it inside a top while doing chores. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Actually thinking further on it, the one thing I absolutely would recommend splurging on is the Silverette nipple cups – they are amazing at soothing sore and cracked nipples. I used them from the very start, wearing them during the day as I got used to feeding and I think they saved me. They're about €50 but worth every cent!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Didnt breast feed for too long but as most have said do not worry too much about bottles yet, have them on stand by just incase. But can you not just pour the milk from the pump into the tommee tippee bottles anyway so you dont need to worry about adapters.. I had the Medla one it came with a bottle that i used for pumping and then put it into a tommee bottle after..

Plust on the Haka pump too found this much better than the electric pump and so much easier to use, think i paid 5.99 in Aldi for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Lazy feeder....that is the exact phrase I could apply to my second child.To this day I cannot figure out what went wrong for her with breastfeeding but that is the closest description yet.Thanks Gatica :-)

Pump- wise, I just had a Tommee Tippee electric.Did the job although pumping varied between my babies.Seriously considered the Hakaa on my last but didn't go for it, as he was my last!I have a problem with a lot of fast let-down from the breast that the baby isn't on - it soaks me, so it could have worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

NicsM wrote: »
    Actually thinking further on it, the one thing I absolutely would recommend splurging on is the Silverette nipple cups – they are amazing at soothing sore and cracked nipples. I used them from the very start, wearing them during the day as I got used to feeding and I think they saved me. They're about €50 but worth every cent!

You can usually rent them from your local Cuidiú branch for a few weeks.

I've tried various pumps but found the Spectra double electric pump the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I recently borrowed my friends Bellababy pump, she said she bought it on Amazon for around €60. It was absolutely brilliant and I used it for a few weeks with no issues, the lactation consultant who was visiting me was impressed with it also, she said she had heard of them but never seen one before. It was perfect for my needs anyway, also have the Aldi version of the haakaa and I was surprised recently to see I was attaching it all wrong. Baby kept kicking it off as well so that went out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I bought the Haakaa when I was pregnant and despite the great reviews and the fact that I have a huge let down and leak all the time, I never had any real success with it. I watched the videos and read everything but I’d be lucky to get 10ml at the best of times. It’s cheap and worth trying though!

I have a champion feeder but also a champion sleeper at times, so engorgment is a serious issue. I got the Lansinoh manual pump, which is excellent. I can get 80ml from one boob in 20 mins. Took a small bit of practice but it’s very handy.

I’m not at the stage where I need to pump enough to cover feeds while I’m at work yet, but I’ll need to get an electric pump next.

I’d advise you to start with the Haakaa and see how you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

I pumped exclusively so tried a few pumps, first off had the Medela Symphony hospital grade one for a few months. It was great but a nuisance if out and about anywhere so I had a Medela manual pump and Haakaa to use in those situations - Put the Medela on one side for ten minutes and attach the Haakaa to collect from the other, then switch and I would usually get the same as from the Symphony. Later I borrowed a Spectra S1 and while I didn't find it as comfortable to use as the Medela it was as effective. There's all sorts of hacks you can do to use the Medela parts with it but I didnt want to be messing with it as it wasn't mine.

Haakaa can be a bit fiddly, i would say go for the smaller one as the large one I had is heavy and kept falling off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I never bought a pump. Just a Haakkaa. My baby never took a bottle anyway, so glad I didn’t waste money on a pump! I would wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I never bought a pump. Just a Haakkaa. My baby never took a bottle anyway, so glad I didn’t waste money on a pump! I would wait.

This is very true too, just wait and see and buy the pump after.. We rushed out and got the pump and sure it didnt really work for me breast feeding so it was really a waste. The Hakka worked much better but you can pick them up everywhere so there is no panic

Advertisement