Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NAV.B-CHRONO 42 CLASSIC A-TYPE BLUE

• 23-01-2021 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I'm a fan of some of Steinharts watches

I think they have done a great job on this new chrono

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/chronographs/nav-b-chrono-42-classic-a-type-blue.html

Opinions?

Currently I'm in a bit of a quandry, big milestone birthday coming and mrs mannheim wants to get me a watch.

I've always been a massive fan of the Stowa Marine with the sterling silver dial (I already have an Ikarus which I love)

This would be a dress watch for special occasions only, but I'm now starting to re-think this and feel like watches sitting away for special occasions only are a waste of what they are made for

The Steinhart would certainly be an option as an occasional daily beater to compliment my O1B Ceramic

Thoughts on the new chrono and between the 2 I mentioned?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Steinhart is a really nice watch IMO.
    Also getting a 7750 elaboré in a brand new watch, from a reputable maker, brand new and with warranty at that price is eye wateringly good value IMO.

I would say that a 7750 as a "dress" watch will wear quite high, you might not get a cuff over it easily.
    It's a big piece, and I'd compare it sizewize to my IWC 3878, not for small wrists or tight shirts but a fairly large hunk of wrist jewellery.

The Stowa silver dial is a very different and particularly in its handwound form, a far dressier watch IMO.

They aren't 2 I'd be looking at as an either or but if it was me?
    I prefer aviator to the marine, for legibility if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

That Steinhart 7750 is lovely, and a fairly nice interpretation of a classic design.

I have a similar one from an old Italian house, it wears nicely for almost any occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

OP that Stienhart watch is 16mm tall, thats very hefty for a cuff. The IWC is apes is 1-2mm thinner. Stowa would be my preference, its honestly less of a hommage watch and more doing its own thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd go with the Stowa too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That is a gorgeous Steinhart. And I agree with banie01, that's very decent value for money for what you are getting with the 7750 movement too. Is there any chance you could pick one up second hand for a good few hundred less?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bruno Mannheim

thanks for replies
    I hear what you are saying about the size under the cuff, to be honest I have a couple watches for dress occasions so this Steinhart could work well as a daily beater

My feeling if I got the Stowa is I would be reluctant to wear it daily. Good problems I guess

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

unkel wrote: »
    That is a gorgeous Steinhart. And I agree with banie01, that's very decent value for money for what you are getting with the 7750 movement too. Is there any chance you could pick one up second hand for a good few hundred less?

https://www.chrono24.com/steinhart/nav-b-chrono-ii-black-dlc--id17782096.htm

This is for sale in the states, but it's 2013 so probably due a service. I think new would be better value in this case. Between cost of the service (250 odd) and the possibility of paying vat there wouldn't be a whole lot in it, unless you can source a used one in the EU.

Nice looking watch OP.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

blue5000 wrote: »
    https://www.chrono24.com/steinhart/nav-b-chrono-ii-black-dlc--id17782096.htm

This is for sale in the states, but it's 2013 so probably due a service. I think new would be better value in this case. Between cost of the service (250 odd) and the possibility of paying vat there wouldn't be a whole lot in it, unless you can source a used one in the EU.

Nice looking watch OP.

That is a cracking deal for a 7750 based watch from a decent manufacturer.

But yes, 8 years is a long time if not serviced.

It is unlikely to need parts, but a even so, a full service is likely to be in €220-250 range. That said parts are ubiquitous for this movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats a lovely looking watch, and in the close-up photos the dial looks beautiful.

Advertisement