Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been fined and will you pay?

• 23-01-2021 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Has anyone on here been fined for breaking the 5km restriction? How did you get caught?

Will you bother paying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

FrStone wrote: »
    Will you bother paying?

I think it's compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Anyone who was fined by the Gardai over Covid were probably acting the cnut and deserve it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Phoebas wrote: »
    I think it's compulsory.

Not if you'll do a few hours in a cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭HBC08

I go outside the 5k almost everyday,I regularly meet the Gards.
    Anybody who actually gets a fine is acting the pr1ck and deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,122 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

HBC08 wrote: »
    I go outside the 5k almost everyday,I regularly meet the Gards.
    Anybody who actually gets a fine is acting the pr1ck and deserves it.

Had to travel yesterday from Clare to Cork. I have an Aunt who is in the final stages of terminal cancer and won’t survive this lockdown so I went to see her to say goodbye. Passed through 8 checkpoints. Was honest every time and had no problem at any of them.

The Gardai aren’t looking to fine anyone unless they’re clearly taking the p1ss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

If you don't pay the fine, then you'll have to appear in court, with all that entails. Not worth that hassle unless you genuinely want to challenge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I don't know what happened to that gobshíte giving out to the young woman Garda that was on tape recently. I'd have fined that idiot.

As others have mentioned, any interactions with the Gardai I've had over the pandemic have been very civil. You'd need to be a trouble maker to be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

plodder wrote: »
    If you don't pay the fine, then you'll have to appear in court, with all that entails. Not worth that hassle unless you genuinely want to challenge it.

Calling John Waters and Gemma o Doherty...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Please don't

• Registered Users Posts: 15,990 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Akrasia wrote: »
    Had to travel yesterday from Clare to Cork. I have an Aunt who is in the final stages of terminal cancer and won’t survive this lockdown so I went to see her to say goodbye. Passed through 8 checkpoints. Was honest every time and had no problem at any of them.

The Gardai aren’t looking to fine anyone unless they’re clearly taking the p1ss

8 checkpoints, is that 4 one way and back or 8 on the way down. I haven't met one yet in clare and limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

You have the right to challenge any fixed penalty notice in court, all the moreso in this case where there's an element of subjectivity on what constitutes an essential journey.

Not that any of the cases mentioned in the media, eg cyclists and walkers up the Wicklow Mountains would have much of a case, which is why I said 'genuinely'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭sporina

i had to go on an essential journey last week - came upon 2 checkpoints - one each way - but i wasn't stopped! Seemed they wer only stopping every other car or so.
    I had a valid reason for traveling but still glad I wasn't stopped.. (I always get nervous around guards lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I get stopped at a checkpoint every morning heading to work. It’s a pain but they are only doing their job. Got held up last week so some dope giving them a hard time as if they are standing in the cold at half seven in the morning just for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Was stopped this morning going to the local recycling centre 500 meters from the house, with my other half. Was told if I didnt turn around i would be issued with a FPN as my journey was not deemed essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Was stopped this morning going to the local recycling centre 500 meters from the house, with my other half. Was told if I didnt turn around i would be issued with a FPN as my journey was not deemed essential.

Were 2 of you needed for the trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Were 2 of you needed for the trip?

That's what he said too. Wife works from home , first time out since being a close contact and a lot of of recycling since Christmas. so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

No and I havent broke the rules since the start.

But after April 1st I'm not going to be bound by any rules. I've had enough of it all. The government/EU should have everyone vaccinated in the risk category by then. All I ever hear is how the bad and corrupt the US,Israel and the UK are. So the great EU has no excuse.

I think most people will feel the same. People cant take much more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

But after April 1st I'm not going to be bound by any rules. I've had enough of it all. The government/EU should have everyone vaccinated in the risk category by then. All I ever hear is how the bad and corrupt the US,Israel and the UK are. So the great EU has no excuse.

It really depends on your situation.

There was a lockdown episode of Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet, which is a great comedy by Rob McElhenney, who was the creator of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It was filmed in the actors' own homes. McElhenney's home is a pretty fantastic compound, and his character's home was the same. His character would shoot inspirational videos for the others coaching them on how to manage lockdown - spend some time in your private gym, or meditating in your gardens. The others were shown in normal small urban apartments.

We have a nice big garden and the privacy that goes with that. A couple of years ago we had a little concrete yard which was very overlooked by the neighbours, our sitting room was very visible from the busy enough road outside, and you'd hear everything that happened next door. The difference the different house has made to our experience of lockdown is enormous really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That's what he said too. Wife works from home , first time out since being a close contact and a lot of of recycling since Christmas. so yes.

You made an non essential journey and you got caught and told to turn back.
    That's just the rules being enforced as designed.

While it might seem a bit excessive in your case, doing recycling is not essential.
    No point in having restrictions at all if we all put whatever interpretations we want on them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Only get stopped returning home from shopping.
    Last time they asked "Bought anything nice?" "Yes, steaks"

Probably getting paranoid after 10 months locked inside alone but i had the idea they were trying to catch me out with that question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I get that you’re being edgy, but that’s the attitude of a dope. Setting a random date and deciding you’re going to stop doing your bit for everyone.

The more people who take the dopey approach you’re outlining, the longer the restrictions will go on.

Hopefully the legislation will keep up with people’s behaviour and the Gardai will be able to deal with people who flout the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

While it might seem a bit excessive in your case, doing recycling is not essential.
    No point in having restrictions at all if we all put whatever interpretations we want on them.

Why are the recycling centres open then?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Anyone who was find by the Gardai over Covid were probably acting the cnut and deserve it.

disagree completely.. stay within 5km of your home? it's a joke. everyone who wants to break it will just lie to the guards and the people who abide by it will suffer

who cares if the guards are civil while removing peoples freedom? :confused:

going 6km from your home and sitting on a bench does not cause or spread covid. I await your angry replies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ireland got kid glove treatment. Other parts of Europe had or are having curfews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

See there's an odd one.

If he rams the recycling into the grey bin, and there's a lot of it, he can cop extra charges.

Does being extorted create an essential journey?

A few weeks ago I had my NCT, as I always do I drove to my mate's brother near Newry for the servicing beforehand.

Reason being chain garages in Dublin are inherently untrustworthy, I'd only attend them if the car is in danger of doing further damage to itself. Like any chain store they have sales targets, performance evaluations on staff, aggressive selling.

Was I justified in driving North because the Republic doesn't have any sort of inspection watchdog that goes after unscrupulous mechanics? All up I got a full service and two brake pads replaced for 220 quid- in Dublin you can pay 100 quid for a go on the diagnostic machine alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Your post reminded me of someone who I heard on the local radio during the week! Came on shouting the odds about people doing whatever they wanted. Then said she went to a town 30km away to drop off her recycling. Radio host latched onto this and gave her awful hell for it for talking out of both sides and rightly so. When asked why couldnt it wait a few more weeks, said she she hated seeing it build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭hurikane

See there's an odd one.

If he rams the recycling into the grey bin, and there's a lot of it, he can cop extra charges.

Does being extorted create an essential journey?

A few weeks ago I had my NCT, as I always do I drove to my mate's brother near Newry for the servicing beforehand.

Reason being chain garages in Dublin are inherently untrustworthy, I'd only attend them if the car is in danger of doing further damage to itself.

Was I justified in driving North because the Republic doesn't have any sort of inspection watchdog that goes after unscrupulous mechanics? All up I got a full service and two brake pads replaced for 220 quid- in Dublin you can pay 100 quid for a go on the diagnostic machine alone.

Mother of god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

hurikane wrote: »
    Mother of god.

What?

The government has cut me from circa 800- 950 per week take home to 350 per week take home this month by leaving the airports open (from March in general, over Christmas in particular). You think I should stay out of the North because "we're all in this together"? You think I should part with an extra 200- 300 because of the negligible risk of catching Covid up there?

Car maintenance is an essential trip. It isn't my problem the government leaves the trade unregulated and therefore I had to travel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Nonsense. The recycling centres are open as they are classed as an essential service. You have every right to go to one. The guard is talking rubbish ;-)

My friend is a delivery driver - he was stopped and asked if all the items in his van are essential items??? The guards seem to be very inconsistent with what is allowed and not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭hurikane

What?

The government has cut me from circa 800- 950 per week take home to 350 per week take home this month by leaving the airports open (from March in general, over Christmas in particular). You think I should stay out of the North because "we're all in this together"? You think I should part with an extra 200- 300 because of the negligible risk of catching Covid up there?

Car maintenance is an essential trip. It isn't my problem the government leaves the trade unregulated and therefore I had to travel for it.

Did you drive there and back listening to Gemma O Doherty podcasts too?

Advertisement