Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court Summons for TV License

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aneonmoose

It is not :( Brilliant. So, my parents didn't pay it and now I've got a summons. Can I get it paid before the case and just grovel and say that we just let it slip our minds, won't happen again your honour yadda yadda? Or am I SOL with €1000 or however much they'll demand?

A licence is for a specific address not a person to have a TV. I take it your address is separate to your dad's in that case?

It is not frown.png Brilliant. So, my parents didn't pay it and now I've got a summons. Can I get it paid before the case and just grovel and say that we just let it slip our minds, won't happen again your honour yadda yadda? Or am I SOL with €1000 or however much they'll demand?

Edgware wrote: »
    If there is a licence then all will be fine. Of course you could also advise your father to apply for a rebate considering all the ****e R.T.E. have been showing recently

RTE 1 today:

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/listings/television/#!/rte1/2021-01-22

doughef wrote: »
    Part of the terms and conditions of living in ireland.

If there is already a license at the address?, then happy days.
    If not why should you expect to wiggle out of it ?

Pay up or face the consequences.
    We don't even use Irish TV. Like, at all. Our TV is used exclusively for our own foreign cable but that's not even the point - I got a court summons for something my parents fecked up with, so that's why I want to get out of it. Because I a) had nothing to do with the finances in our flat, b) am an unemployed student and c) I actually no longer live with my parents. And, you know. It's a feckin court summons to a case worth like €160, which will cost the taxpayer a pretty penny, for something I had nowt to do with, despite supposedly being in a pandemic (are fines courts essential? there's a philosophical question) and that still does not explain how the hell they have my name to say I lived at this address. Bloody brilliant.

To preface any angry responses - I am happy to pay taxes and charges and licenses for things, I get that it's how capitalism works. But I was a minor, with no responsibility for the TV License at the address, and I didn't even get a reminder, or a notice that if it is not paid, then it'll go to court. Like, they literally ambushed me at the door, gave me a bill which I passed on to my parents and then, over a year later, I get a freaking court summons. Feels like some steps were skipped.

I smell bs

If only. Sadly, this is 100% true, and 100% annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

A walking tv licence ad we got here.

That ad is an abomination. Stick their terms and conditions up their hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I got a summons before, paid it and then phoned the TV licence office. It was then struck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

elperello wrote: »
    Once we have decided that a Public Broadcasting Service is something we want in Ireland we then need to agree on what form it should take and how we should pay for it.

You'd think that would be a relatively simple task but we seem to be making heavy weather of it on Boards for years now.

Every discussion descends into complaining about salaries and resentment over the licence.

Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the Montrose mafia. They obviously don't care what the public think as evidenced by the muck they churn out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Do they still send people to Mountjoy for not paying a TV license.. ...only to be processed and released the same day?

ebbsy wrote: »
    I got a summons before, paid it and then phoned the TV licence office. It was then struck out.

You mean you got the summons so you paid the license, phoned them and got it struck out? Just making sure I understand you lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

aneonmoose wrote: »
    Hi all!

So, I got a court summons for non-payment of TV License. Only thing is, the license for my address is under my dad's name. They sent a canvasser to the address ages ago, who gave me a notice for payment

Hi op.
    Sorry I am a but confused. You say for your current address?

Would I be right to assume your dad owns the place you live in? Like he bought another place and you live there?

If so, you are going to get hounded as the current tennant. Doesn't matter if your dad doesnt live there.
    If it's a case of you live in your family home while your dad lives else where then It's pretty much the same. If you lived with your dad then yeah he you could just say "sure he owns this"

I say just pay it and be done with it. I don't like the idea of paying it myself. But I also don't like the idea of going to court and maybe, in some small cases, being fined 1,000 euro if I can't wiggle out of paying the initial fee. Some things are not worth the hassle.

Hi op.
    Sorry I am a but confused. You say for your current address?

Would I be right to assume your dad owns the place you live in? Like he bought another place and you live there?

If so, you are going to get hounded as the current tennant. Doesn't matter if your dad doesnt live there.
    If it's a case of you live in your family home while your dad lives else where then It's pretty much the same. If you lived with your dad then yeah he you could just say "sure he owns this"

I say just pay it and be done with it. I don't like the idea of paying it myself. But I also don't like the idea of going to court and maybe, in some small cases, being fined 1,000 euro if I can't wiggle out of paying the initial fee. Some things are not worth the hassle.

Hiya! So, my parents rent the flat I grew up in. I no longer live there, as I'm in uni. We don't own the property. If I pay the €160, will that mean I don't have to go to court, or how does it work? Do I go to court with a payment receipt? My criminology course in college did not cover this haha, thanks in advance :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hiya! So, my parents rent the flat I grew up in. I no longer live there, as I'm in uni. We don't own the property. If I pay the €160, will that mean I don't have to go to court, or how does it work? Do I go to court with a payment receipt? My criminology course in college did not cover this haha, thanks in advance :o

Ah I get you :D
    Don't pay. You are no longer living there and the flat is not in your name. This is a clerical error on their part.

You've nothing to worry about. Ring up the TV license crowd Monday and explain how they got their facts wrong, you got a court letter etc.

You'll be fine :)

Ah I get you :D
    Don't pay. You are no longer living there and the flat is not in your name. This is a clerical error on their part.

You've nothing to worry about. Ring up the TV license crowd Monday and explain how they got their facts wrong, you got a court letter etc.

You'll be fine :)

Thank you SO much <3 You've made me feel so much better, I was getting seriously stressed! I'll give them a ring first thing Monday and explain it all, hopefully it ends there!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

If you want to show the court theft, show them Ryan Tubridy's annual wage package.

Sarcozies wrote: »
    If you want to show the court theft, show them Ryan Tubridy's annual wage package.

Heh, I would but in my (admittedly limited) experience courts don't have a sense of humour ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do they still send people to Mountjoy for not paying a TV license.. ...only to be processed and released the same day?
    Never happened.

Not paying a court fine or contempt of court are serious offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Did the OP end up in the slammer for not paying the license?
    Ryan Tubridy only earns €1/2 million per year, but everyone needs to pay up to keep him in the lifestyle he is use to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,159 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Never happened.

Not paying a court fine or contempt of court are serious offences.

Just to clarify, you cannot be jailed for not having a TV licence.

The prescribed penalty is a fine.

If you don't pay the fine you will end up being summonsed to court where if you refuse to pay the fine you may be jailed.

Generally people committed to prison for failing to pay fines are processed and released. The decision to do this is made by the Prison Service due to lack of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Your parents should get the licence and sort it out. Are they going to let you go to court to sort it yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Sarcozies wrote: »

The 'wonderful' Ryan earns more than the President of America,China,Russia,Germany,India,United Kingdom,New Zealand,Australia,Japan,France,Canada and Portugal.
    On the other hand there may be a few leaders of a few African Banana Republics that earn more than him.
    So ye'all out there shut the fcuk up and pay your licence fee.

washman3 wrote: »
    The 'wonderful' Ryan earns more than the President of America,China,Russia,Germany,India,United Kingdom,New Zealand,Australia,Japan,France,Canada and Portugal.
    On the other hand there may be a few leaders of a few African Banana Republics that earn more than him.
    So ye'all out there shut the fcuk up and pay your licence fee.

You know you could name people in showbiz from each of those countries listed who earn more than their respective presidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Somebody has to pay for Joe Duffy to make groany noises on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

If you don't pay the fine you will end up being summonsed to court where if you refuse to pay the fine you may be jailed.

Generally people committed to prison for failing to pay fines are processed and released. The decision to do this is made by the Prison Service due to lack of space.

Correct , but only downside they then have a conviction and so many jobs nowadays come with Garda Vetting and it might show up that you were actually imprisioned as you are actually signed in when you arrive before they let you out after a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

Correct , but only downside they then have a conviction and so many jobs nowadays come with Garda Vetting and it might show up that you were actually imprisioned as you are actually signed in when you arrive before they let you out after a few hours.

costacorta wrote: »

Yes, hardly anyone lets it get that far.

It's not a good look to have on your record.

My advice is if you are caught beg, borrow, (don't steal of course :)) the €160 and pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hi all!

So, I got a court summons for non-payment of TV License. Only thing is, the license for my address is under my dad's name. They sent a canvasser to the address ages ago, who gave me a notice for payment after saying my name. I stupidly accepted it - he did have my full name! Didn't realise what he wanted at the time until I confirmed I was me. I just let my parents know (I'm like 85% sure this notice was given to me when I was still underage) and didn't think about it. So imagine my surprise when I get a feckin court summons for April!

Spoke to my dad about it, he said I should go to the court date and just show them his bills, proving that the license is under his name not mine and I should get off scot free. Do you guys reckon that'll be enough?

Also considering giving them a SAR to ask where exactly they got my name from - not a citizen so not the electoral register, and anyway like I said, I was 17 at the time I'm pretty sure.

This was a very waffly post, sorry. Basically, do you guys think it'll be enough to just show them that my dad's the one they're after, so to speak?

Please don't let this thread devolve into discussions on whether the license is extortion (it is), I'm feckin ****ting it here so I just want to know if it's a life in the slammer for me ;):D

It's a disgrace that people are forced to pay money to RTE.
    I don't live in Ireland but here I have a netflix, amazon prime, disney+ subscription and between those that is pretty much 100% of our TV viewing.

So I'd imagine I'd have the same if I lived in Ireland, I would never watch RTE - utter tripe, why do you have to pay for it ???

Surely you could argue this in front of a judge and get off ? even if you could proove you modified your TV so it couldn't receive cable TV ?

of course they could argue that you could watch it online ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Do they still send people to Mountjoy for not paying a TV license..?

No. Much worse than that. They force you to watch the Rose of Tralee. Both nights.

Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

You can't make me pay a TV licence if I don't own a TV. *Taps Head*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Op, before you go to Court, you should stab someone in the neck, bit of a woe is me story, and off you go, they'll be so eager to help you get out of there, the licence thing wont even be a problem.

Advertisement