Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP Jerry Kiernan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Used to see him in the bookies sometimes. Great for a chat. Anyone know what age he was? I'm guessing late 60s?

RIP Jerry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

esposito wrote: »
    Used to see him in the bookies sometimes. Great for a chat. Anyone know what age he was? I'm guessing late 60s?

Attended his school but moved before was taught by him. But he was great with all.

Such great athlete and was great on tv at the major championships

I taught fitness in a gym in Rathmines in the early 1980's where Jerry Kiernan used to train. He was lovely and I was in awe of him and even had a bit of a crush on him. I often thought of him in the intervening years and heard him on RTE regularly. He was one of a kind and today I am very sad at his sudden passing...........far too young to go. RIP lovely Jerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I know absolutely nothing about athletics, but I really used to love seeing Jerry Kiernan on the panel every four years at Olympics time.

Thought he was great: opinionated, took no nonsense, clearly loved the sport.

And, clearly, he was a man of multiple accomplishments and meant a lot to a great deal of people.

So I was very sad to read about his passing today.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

I remember about 20 years ago when I was a student I was working as a security driver in UCD. Myself and another lad were driving around the grassy area off Fosters Avenue when we seen this wild looking man with a mullet shouting at female runners as they came past him and waving his hands about in a very animated fashion. We had visions of some madman attacking women on campus but when we sped over to where he was and confronted him it was Jerry Kiernan coaching some runners. He thought it was very funny. I recognised him even though I had only a passing interest in athletics, he was one of the most familiar faces of Irish track and field.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Only 67. Young enough. And always looked so fit. And obviously was a fit fit man

Very sad. I always enjoyed listening to Jerry. Very enthusiastic and knowledgeable, as well as interesting.

Has the cause of death been released?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Thoughts and prayers to Jerry's family.

As a teenager 15 years ago he used to coach the running club I was in. I stopped running with a club but once or twice a year I'd be running myself and pass Jerry out on his own runs.

Without fail one of us would change direction and we would do a mile or two together catching up and having a chat.

Jerry was a true gent and I extend my deepest condolences to his family.

Exceptional in so many aspects of life. A world class athlete, a loved teacher, a brilliant coach and a great friend full of wit and intellect.

Very sad to hear the news. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Beautiful words there from Djemba. I'm sorry for your loss.

Was genuinely saddened to hear this news today. Jerry was an outstanding sportsman (before my time) but I thought he was a really terrific analyst. Genuinely insightful, honest and wonderfully knowledgeable. A very under-appreciated pundit, and listening to him talking about athletics on RTE was always a genuine highlight of the Olympic Games coverage every 4 years.

Sincere condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I didn't know him in his competitive days, but I always loved him on analysis for the Olympics and World Championships. So much so, that I would stay with RTE coverage just to hear his analysis, despite the BBC having great analysts of their own. Kind of a Dunphy-esque, cut through the crap analysis that people get on board with. RIP Jerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Djemba Djemba that is one gem of a post. Thank you and I’m so sorry for your personal loss.

I’ll leave it at that, thread needs nothing more than your perfect contribution.

R.I.P. Jerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Very very sad news. RIP Jerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

I don't normally post is RIP threads but I have to say I was genuinely shocked and saddened when I heard the news today.

I'm not a particularly sporty person, I enjoy watching all sports and don't have any strong affiliations with any one code, but whenever I heard Jerry passionately extoling the virtues of athletics, especially in comparison to other sports, and even more especially when he was comparing it to his hated GAA, I have to say I found it compelling.
    I believed him immediately and absolutely.

I don't know enough about any sport to say if he is/was right or wrong, but I believed him, and if I'm honest, his conviction on the subject has me pretty much convinced forever.

Athletics in Ireland were lucky to have Jerry, I hope he was appreciated by them. Sport and society could use more people like Jerry. It's a great pity he's been taken so young.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends. RIP Jerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

I'm just 4 years younger than Jerry, remember him well as a fierce competitive athlete, had it all, 1500m, 10,000m to Marathon. A brilliant coach, and an absolutely outstanding analyst pundit on RTE. His love of FC Barcelona is just brilliant when you consider he hailed from Kerry and from an era of that Kerry team.. By all accounts he was a talented teacher, never had the pleasure of having a conversation with him, and to all those who had over the years, count your blessings. He will be sorely missed by his family, athletics community, friends , people with a passing interest in athletics watching him on telly doing his analysis in an absolute unique way. So so sad and shocked tonight to hear of his death. Heaven just got so much more interesting. RIP Jerry.

Anyone know what subjects he taught in school?

I’m assuming he was a secondary school teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

walshb wrote: »

Primary I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

walshb wrote: »

He was a primary teacher. St Brigids. Cabinteely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've just put two and two together and realised Jerry was a neighbour of mine for a short time. I just didn't think it could be him, to fit, to lively, to nice. What a lovely lovely man. Terrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Genuinely shocked and saddened at this news. I always enjoyed his input on the athletics on TV. RIP Jerry, and condolences to his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Total athletics layperson wading into the thread here but I’m so sad to hear this news. I loved Jerry’s Olympics analysis. He was really good at aiming his analysis at neophytes like me. Lovely voice too. RIP, Jerry and condolences to his family if any of you read this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Very upsetting to hear the news of the passing of Jerry Kiernan. :( He has been such an enormous part of Irish athletics for several decades.

First as an athlete, finishing 9th in the marathon at 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. His performance was overshadowed by John Treacy winning the silver medal in the same race, but it was a truly special run in its own right.

He was best known to non-athletics folk for his brilliant punditry for RTE's athletics coverage. A straight shooter, he wasn't one to soften his words, and he often rubbed people up the wrong way. But, while I didn't always agree with what he said, more often than not he was right on the money with his comments. He made RTE's athletics coverage truly entertaining, much like how Eamonn Dunphy and George Hook did for soccer and rugby. In ways you could say he transcended the sport, in that the average Irish sports fan, who might not have followed athletics, knew who he was, and knew his analysis was essential viewing.

He has given back to the sport at every level, not just coaching elite athletes like Ciara Mageean and John Travers, but also people trying to break 3 hours for the marathon. He didn't discriminate against athletes based on talent. From what I've been told, all he expected is that everyone he coached tried their best and put the work in.

I didn't know him personally. I met him a few times, and regularly saw him wandering around Irishtown when coaching his athletes, and at various grassroots athletics meets.

One interaction sticks out for me though. At the 2017 National Championships in Santry, I had just finished my 200m race, was still standing at the finish line, and when my result came up on the big clock, I lost myself with excitement, running 24 seconds for the first (and only) time. Seconds later that familiar voice appeared from behind my back. It was Jerry who was asking me had I just run a PB, and we ended up talking for a couple of minutes. He encouraged me to push on for 23 seconds (which I knew deep down was beyond my capabilities). I had finished last in my heat, and there were infinitely more talented athletes in Santry that day, but he still had an interest in how I got on. It just highlighted to me how much he loved the sport. I'll never forget that moment.

RIP Jerry. Irish athletics will be the poorer for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Ciara Mageean did an unbelievably good tribute on Second Captains World Service today. It was recorded yesterday evening and she was very upset throughout most of it but managed to speak very well about him both as a coach and a person. Fantastic tribute to him and he comes across as a very fine human being is what I take away from it all.

It may only be January but djemba-djemba's post there will certainly be my vote for post of the year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wouldn't be a big fan of athletics but always enjoyed him on RTÉ covering the big meets.

Appeared to be an absolute wealth of knowledge all things athletics both at home and abroad, and his love for his sport was quite apparent.

Saddened to hear of his passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

diego_b wrote: »
    It may only be January but djemba-djemba's post there will certainly be my vote for post of the year.

Yah 100%. I was gonna say it may as well be locked up now. What a beautiful tribute.

Such an authentic character.

Piece on OTB with David Gillick there too - said that he went out of his way to give him some guidance when Gillick was starting to do TV work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Was just listening to Travers going on about him last week on RB's pod.
    One of life's characters gone to rest.
    RIP Jerry.

Djemba Djemba - Amazing words - eloquently put.

Great to read such positive comments about him..

I’ve always felt that the mark of a real good person is their interest in others, and their wanting to help...their giving their time to others!

Reading the comments from people that have been in his company really does paint this picture..

A teacher through and through!

Good article in the indo from Cathal Denehy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

was it Covid 19 ?

someone told me today that it was ? , could be rubbish

Advertisement