Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house, new tv

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Free to air is a great starting point.

Most streaming services can be paid monthly. You could take 2 months off netflix and then jump to prime video for 2 months. Disney plus, Apple tv are worth paying for 2 or 3 months out of the year. Now tv works on monthly passes. You can get movies for a month & swap to box sets in entertainment for a month. All of the above can be shared with family and friends. If you get 4 screen netflix for 17 euros & share with friends you can split the bill.

Free to air is brilliant but there is a whole world of TV out there that doesn't have to cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

greasepalm wrote: »
    Old sky + hd users have the same setup that can be used on enigma2 receivers.

New customers of Sky Q boxes have a different box and different lnb with 2 cables wideband.

Hdd is like the old vcr but modernised into usb and hdd like in a pc or desktop for recordings.

Arriva box is older and the zgemma 7 has 2 versions

Do you want 2 sat tuners + 1 saorview tuner
    OR
    2 saorview tuners + 1 sat.
    Personally i like 2 sats as can record more than 1 saorview.

Hi, we’ve old sky plus hd. .sorry to ask but why have 2 saorsat tuners or 2 sat tuners?
    Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭greasepalm

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Hi, we’ve old sky plus hd. .sorry to ask but why have 2 saorsat tuners or 2 sat tuners?
    Tia

Choice of models as one has 2 x sat tuners ideal for old sky + hd and 1 saorview tuner

Other model has 2 x saorview tuners for aerial on roof and 1 sat.

Better to have 2 sat tuner box as one can record way more channels on sat.

Saorsat is completely different.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Free to air is a great starting point.

Most streaming services can be paid monthly. You could take 2 months off netflix and then jump to prime video for 2 months. Disney plus, Apple tv are worth paying for 2 or 3 months out of the year. Now tv works on monthly passes. You can get movies for a month & swap to box sets in entertainment for a month. All of the above can be shared with family and friends. If you get 4 screen netflix for 17 euros & share with friends you can split the bill.

Free to air is brilliant but there is a whole world of TV out there that doesn't have to cost a fortune.

I suppose it’s true but for the luddites it’s all a bit of a dose...anyway, cheers to the boardsies

greasepalm wrote: »
    Choice of models as one has 2 x sat tuners ideal for old sky + hd and 1 saorview tuner

Other model has 2 x saorview tuners for aerial on roof and 1 sat.

Better to have 2 sat tuner box as one can record way more channels on sat.

Saorsat is completely different.

Hi thanks for that...to continue the dumbness..if I opt for the 2 sat tuners then don’t I have to continue paying the sky sub to get the value from it? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Nothing to do with sky as only their boxes can open their encrypted channels,plenty on freesat to view in HD

https://freesat.ie/pages/channel-list

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

OP, I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread, but the advice you received from all posters were very useful for me! I was in a similar situation, in a new build trying to figure out my TV options, so I think i'm going the route of getting a dish, aerial and combo box. I've got a quote from a local guy to supply and install these.

The box he supplies is a Amiko mini combo, but he'll knock €60 off the price if I want to supply my own box. Based on advice in this thread, I was looking at the Zgemma H7S. At €130, its more expensive, but i'm guessing based on my research and this thread, its worth the extra €70 over the Amiko. I'll go with this option unless anyone think the Amiko is the better option?

I think I read somewhere (I can't remember where!) that Amiko didn't have Freesat, so for that alone i'm leaning towards the Zgemma.

Thanks again for all the advice given in this thread, I found it invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The amiko mini combo only has a single satellite tuner and would not be able to record while watching another channel. For the sake of the few quid now the Zgemma is streets ahead in functions and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Manzoor14 wrote:
    I think I read somewhere (I can't remember where!) that Amiko didn't have Freesat, so for that alone i'm leaning towards the Zgemma.

The Zgemma does not have "Freesat".
    It is a Free to Air box.

"Freesat" provide an EPG for those channels that pay to be on their version.
    Some channels do not, such as Channel 4 HD amongst others.
    All the Free to Air channels can be received by the non-Freesat boxes such as the Zgemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

CrossEPG Downloader gives 7 day epg on zgemma and most enigma2 free to air boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭roadmaster

decor58 wrote: »
    Been using fta tv for 15-20 years, so I don't know what I am missing with subscription tv but don't feel
    we are not missing out on too much, RTE, VM1, BBC and C4 covers most of our viewing with Netflix in the mix. I have had a variety of combo receivers over the years and then Saorview tv with Humax Freesat boxes, currently use a Walker smart tv with Saorview and satellite built in, (Netflix, YouTube, RTE player included) with a HDD for recordings, I also have a combo receiver in the loop for when recordings clash, one4all remote does the lot. Yes, sport is not an issue so that eases the pressure for subscription.

How is the walker TV working out are you happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭decor58

roadmaster wrote: »
    How is the walker TV working out are you happy with it?

Yeah, it's fine on picture and sound quality, I don't have any issues with it, reliable, haven't missed any recordings. Have a 24inch in the kitchen, 43 in the living room, would I buy another, yes.

Still following this, hope springs eternal...anyone know of a retailer who flogs this gear who,ll have a bit of savvy? I still don’t trust myself to buy / instal / set up the system, ta....I’m in north cork.

Advertisement