Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brian James O'Donovan RTÉ US correspondent

• 20-01-2021 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I don't watch RTÉ news often but I tuned in to see Bidens inauguration and I have to say I wasn't very impressed with Brian James O'Donovan. The man has a smugness in his mannerisms that really ground my gears.
    Surely RTÉ could pull him aside and ask him to adopt a more neutral demeanour. The few Irish presenters on France 24 would wipe. The floor with him in regards professionalism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You obviously don’t watch RTE very often. He has been in Washington for four years and is likely due home shortly.

He is very good. Clear, accurate reports delivered professionally. No need for anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He has the oddest emphasis and cadence. I know all tv reporters bend voices and gesticulate like mad for emphasis but he is unique.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

He has the oddest emphasis and cadence. I know all tv reporters bend voices and gesticulate like mad for emphasis but he is unique.

I really enjoy this about him, brings his reports to life. I think he has been a great correspondent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The content and the research behind it seem to be up to scratch.

While I agree that his presenting style is unique it doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Do not diss Brian O'Donovan!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

I prefer a more neutral delivery and I found his off putting. As I said I haven't watched RTE with any regularity but if I was to compare him to Mark Little from years ago he would not be near that level of delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

He tries to act like a CNN or Fox news reporter. It's all too forced and unnatural

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He's alright I guess, but there's definitely a theatrical style to his delivery. I think someone less hammy in his style would be better suited to the role.

Wouldn't be too surprised if he went to stage school in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

His smugness and declensions are reminiscent of the BBC or Sky and are somewhat unnatural.

I find it quite off putting.

Otherwise, he seems to meet his brief

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

He's no Donie!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭thesultan

Have no issue at all with him. I think he's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

charlie bird would wipe the.... oh no he wouldnt sorry!

carole coleman would ....oh christ no!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I'm convinced there's a course these lads do in RTE before they get these gigs. Him, Kieran Milloooooooley, Pascal Sheeting etc. You have to be able to deliver the information in the weirdest, most oddball way possible. If you can, you're correspondent material!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

beerguts wrote:
    I prefer a more neutral delivery and I found his off putting. As I said I haven't watched RTE with any regularity but if I was to compare him to Mark Little from years ago he would not be near that level of delivery

I think he's bery good. One of the few Irish journalists who would make it on the BBC. Can you imagine Eileen Dunne working for BBC as American correspondent? Or Kieran Mooooo being a BBC correspondent?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,557 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I find his delivery pretty good, but he overdoes it some times, as if he’s playing up..

Well it has brought us this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I think Brian O'Donavan is excellent, his reporting style is sort of in tune with what the last 3-4 years were in the US.
    I hate a dead-pan news reporter, I like somebody who has a bit of character about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This. His bizarre mannerisms alone make me uncomfortable watching his little “performances”

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair to him, he wasn't as dramatic in his early years. I think he has started to put it on a bit of late.
    I am sure if we were to go and watch his reports when he started, they would appear very different.

But as for the info itself, I do find him very good. The one thing I noticed about him is his eloquence.
    You rarely hear him "um" or "ah" to fill space.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Brian O'Donovan ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ rte NEWSSZZZZZZZSSSSS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I do find him over the top but I do like him as a reporter.

He'll be someone in future that reminds you of a certain timeframe because he's so memorable.

Anyone notice when he's being introduced by the newsreader he's always there nodding his head in agreement and tightening his lips in agreement? ALWAYS An example would be this clip..https://youtu.be/Rx2mru0T8ow?t=69

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think he has toned things down a bit, maybe it's Trump leaving office that did it - he is now in tune with the Joe Biden era!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I think his funniest moment was when talking about Ireland getting a place on the UN security Council. He said the Irish brought Bono and a Riverdance demonstration, whereas the Canadians had Celine Dion.
    Regardless of what I think of the above, the way he delivered it was hilarious

Advertisement