Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPC Hybrid December 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lelila

Regarding the Legal Research record, can anyone explain why in the 2 examples she gave us, one involved looking for case law and the other one didn't? How do we know if we should look for case law or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Law2020

Lelila wrote: »
    Yes, me too! Surely they can't expect us to have it all caught up in one week? I was starting to read all the literature we're supposed to read, but have decided now to just concentrate on listening to the lectures & catch up on the reading later. Hopefully that will do for this week.

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one feeling this way! I still haven't received my Ipad or books so I am struggling with the tutorials! Hoping I get them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Law2020

Meg! wrote: »
    I didnt find case law but I did find a news paper article.

I had Thursday and friday off this week so caught up nicely. Have my business law tutorial and conveyance tutorial covered.

Yes I seen Articles online too but I wasn't sure whether to include them or not because there is no way of backing them up as a true source if that makes sense. You know how in the examples she double checked the Courts website/ Bailli to see if the cases contained the same facts etc as the ones she found in the book. Let me know what you think please.

Law2020 wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear I am not the only one feeling this way! I still haven't received my Ipad or books so I am struggling with the tutorials! Hoping I get them tomorrow.

I haven't got mine yet either. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ianmc97

Lelila wrote: »
    I haven't got mine yet either. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

I actually emailed Hilary wondering would I have all my course materials and ipad and so on for these tutorials I sent payment by post on Friday and she basically told me it would be next week anyway by the time mine arrived something about couriers to and from their offices, waiting for monies to clear and so on. I only started yesterday and am luckily in a very accommodating firm but it looks like doing course work full timeish ill only just have my lectures done and tutorials prepped properly on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Creg12

How are people finding the Hybird course and just wondering if anyone can give an idea of the timetable as i am considering it for Dec?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ianmc97

Creg12 wrote: »
    How are people finding the Hybird course and just wondering if anyone can give an idea of the timetable as i am considering it for Dec?

Thanks

I'm very glad to have it. I was kind of thrown in late as was waiting on results to get in but it being there means I could stay progressing straight away. Its still early yet but id already say the workload is strong enough especially where it is presumed that you would be working either full time or near to full time while doing it I'm lucky to have a very accommodating job that allows me to do PPC1 work on the clock if I have any quiet time but if you were working somewhere busy and expected to not look at your course until 6pm or weekends and were preparing fully for your tutorials which you kind of need to do to get the most out of the course and not fall behind. I imagine you could get burnt out very easily. but for me not being from or working in dublin I'm just glad I'm not commuting every day to do the standard PPC which I presume will be back by next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Creg12 wrote: »

Thanks

There are mandatory tutorials/lectures every second week on Fridays and Saturdays- those are usually two full days from approx 9/10am to 5pm each day. All on Zoom for the time being but if it weren’t for Covid one weekend a month would be on site.

Pre recorded lectures are also released which you watch back in your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Creg12

Thanks for the update

Great to hear it is going well and its making it more appealing,

keep truck'n. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tommytimber

Hi,

I'm just wondering what the work is like? Are the tutorials just a discussion or do you have to prepare answers etc for each one? Is there many assignments involved? Any other info would be appreciated

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 honeybadger123

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of doing the hybrid course commencing Dec 21/Jan22. I am just wondering how all of you find the workload of PPC1, especially those of you who are working in your training firm during PPC1 as I will be working myself. Do you feel like you are swamped/managing/flying it? Is it enjoyable and/or doable while working full time? Are there any other benefits? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4 123chloe

Hey guys, does anyone know if there’s a thread for those who intend on going to PPC1 in September? I can’t find one. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

123chloe wrote: »
    Hey guys, does anyone know if there’s a thread for those who intend on going to PPC1 in September? I can’t find one. Thanks

You can use this one if you like sure it has 2021 in the title, I can gift it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

So I was looking to apply to PPC Hybrid (I Know the deadline is in October). I'm very confused by the info on the LS website. I have just started my traineeship this week and I haven't applied yet to "Consent to Enter into Indentures of Apprenticeships". Is this the first step? Because the "new" forms for entering into your indentures are 3 and 4A if I'm not mistaken.

These forms on the LS website have a huge "SAMPLE" text over them so obviously they can't be used. Where can I find these forms so I can fill them out and register my traineeship with the LS?

Lallers96 wrote: »
    So I was looking to apply to PPC Hybrid (I Know the deadline is in October). I'm very confused by the info on the LS website. I have just started my traineeship this week and I haven't applied yet to "Consent to Enter into Indentures of Apprenticeships". Is this the first step? Because the "new" forms for entering into your indentures are 3 and 4A if I'm not mistaken.

These forms on the LS website have a huge "SAMPLE" text over them so obviously they can't be used. Where can I find these forms so I can fill them out and register my traineeship with the LS?

Does it look like this?

https://smallpdf.com/result#r=b366d8a40884a0b6534a4c2eab57c0e4&t=share-document

There's also some form for you PPSN looks like this:

https://smallpdf.com/shared#st=392d729b-aff7-4e22-a8ea-a043c50bc188&fn=PPS+Form+2020_+%281%29.docx&ct=1622827971041&tl=share-document&rf=link

Have they been changed?

I can't view the first pdf you have?

Also I couldnt see a PPS form anywhere on the PPC Application

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of doing the hybrid course commencing Dec 21/Jan22. I am just wondering how all of you find the workload of PPC1, especially those of you who are working in your training firm during PPC1 as I will be working myself. Do you feel like you are swamped/managing/flying it? Is it enjoyable and/or doable while working full time? Are there any other benefits? TIA

Hi. I started the hybrid course in January of this year. It's actually really full on. We have tutorials every second week (all Friday afternoon & all day Saturday) on Zoom. You have to prepare for the tutorials & you have to participate in them as they're in small groups. So that's tiring of itself. In the meantime, they release lectures which you need to listen to, to prepare the tutorial work. The LS recently wrote to all training solicitors to tell them we should be working a 4 day week max. It would be really hard to do the course while working 5 days. There's a lot to it, but it's interesting. And the exam is an open book exam. Plus as we're all already working in legal firms, there's a lot of it we know already. It's a lot easier than the FE1s. I hope that helps.

It's good to hear that PPC is easier than the FE1s because it sounds very front loaded and full on

Hi all, is it likely that the hybrid course fills up? I’ve always been so focused on the fe1s I’ve never before considered that I might not get a place in blackhall :/

also in terms of the application, can anyone suggest good people for the character reference? I know this is obviously individual to each person but any ideas would help.. I’m unsure who to ask..

1. Unlikely, it's online so they can squeeze in more than you think.

2. I am training where I already work so I asked two different former managers who weren't my training solicitor to sign it for me, I had like 4 days to get the docs together. If you have nothing like that ask your absolute soundest college lecturer to sign it for you. If nothing for that anyone of standing in the community, like you ever volunteered with anything.

I just wrote a template for them and let them amend it accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

Hi everyone... I'm about to send in my application for PPC hybrid 2021/22. Does anyone know if you dont have all 8 FE1s does it matter? I've passed 6 and I'm sitting the last two in two weeks. Just wondering if they will consider my application or wait til my results are out. Thanks :)

You need all 8 passed before you apply to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

I was told I can apply while waiting for the last results

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Anyone doing the course..

How mandatory are the onsite and online weekends? I've applied for Hybrid starting in January and just looking at the dates there's one of each I won't make due to family weddings. Is it a %attendance situation or what?

If it's a Skills Tutorial they are complusary I think if you miss them you'll have to catch up with the full time students or in the next PPC group. If its regular tutorials, stuff like that happens and you'll be fine.

How did it work last year when people were waiting for their FE1 results to see if they got into the hybrid?

They just missed the first month but they caught up later. Some did show up pre results but there wasn't a need.

When doing the Hybrid, is your solicitor obliged to pay you for the Onsite or online weekends in the same way the standard PPC students are obliged to be paid for their time in Blackhall?

This is on top of the 4 days work you do during the week.

Say it depends on the solicitor! Where I work paid me for 5 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Anyone have a clear idea of the workload required for ppc hybrid and is it lectures for the full Saturday 2 times a month,are your weekends pretty much gone with it?

Also is it 2 Fridays in the month you need to take off ?

Flag

Quote Thanks!

Advertisement