Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Servcie mobility scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kirbi

It should be the total number of positions including those that are currently filled.

But I've heard that there's been delays getting the information for AO & HEO out of some depts - namely DSP; I think all of the DSP entries might still be blank for the new grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

Kirbi wrote: »
    It should be the total number of positions including those that are currently filled.

But I've heard that there's been delays getting the information for AO & HEO out of some depts - namely DSP; I think all of the DSP entries might still be blank for the new grades.

It will be hard getting a mobility spot to a region in DEASP. There will already be an internal waiting list in place who will get 1st preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭doc22

billyhead wrote: »
    It will be hard getting a mobility spot to a region in DEASP. There will already be an internal waiting list in place who will get 1st preference.

Are the lists long? if so the 1/6 positions will mean a long wait/never. Lots of young HEO/AOs too that will be in positions a long time....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Roast_Spuds

Anyone know what it's like to work in Revenue? Having a look at the map at the moment for Cork and seems to be an option with a decent amount of staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Probably quite taxing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 DUB142

I wonder how long it will take to get a decision back? I would imagine there will be a lot of applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Fingers crossed things move quickly!

I've applied for different departments myself but I was in such a rush I think I'll have to change one or 2 of them because there doesn't appear to be a HEO listed there, though as far as I know they do have HEO's. Maybe they haven't updated their listing. BTW, its not Social Welfare, I don't fancy working there in my own town. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Skippette wrote: »

I've applied for different departments myself but I was in such a rush I think I'll have to change one or 2 of them because there doesn't appear to be a HEO listed there, though as far as I know they do have HEO's. Maybe they haven't updated their listing. BTW, its not Social Welfare, I don't fancy working there in my own town. ;)

Any worked in SW as a HEO? What's it like? What type of work generally?

From the map it looks like a bunch of Departments haven't provided figures at all. I count:

DSP
    DFA
    CSO
    D/Children
    D/Education
    D/Health
    D/Housing
    D/Tourism
    NCCA
    Ombudsman for Children

I guess it's possible that some of the smaller ones don't have any generalist posts at these grades, but it doesn't seem likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Kirbi wrote: »
    From the map it looks like a bunch of Departments haven't provided figures at all. I count:

DSP
    DFA
    CSO
    D/Children
    D/Education
    D/Health
    D/Housing
    D/Tourism
    NCCA
    Ombudsman for Children

I guess it's possible that some of the smaller ones don't have any generalist posts at these grades, but it doesn't seem likely.

A colleague told me months ago they contacted People Point on this, as was same with some EO positions and it was a case of when the map was being updated that Departments didn't provide the up to date info.

• Advertisement

Mac0783 wrote: »
    Any worked in SW as a HEO? What's it like? What type of work generally?

No sorry, haven't worked in SW, I probably wasn't clear, apologies.

I just don't fancy working there in my hometown, would know too many people and I wouldn't want to know their business plus I don't know how comfortable some people would be, me knowing their business.

I worked in a building that had a SW there, someone I knew but not friends with them, cycled up, chained up his bike, adjusted his posture and started to limp in the door, obviously claiming god knows what. Don't think I could bite my tongue if a case like that came into me and then you get into the dangerous territory of proof.

So as much as I want to move jobs to my hometown (and I really, really do), I don't want to be bringing extra hassle on myself.

I was checking my applications this morning and I see I've fallen back in the order. In some cases going from 1 to 3 and another case going from 2 to 6. Is this because there are Internal transfer panels and they were able to input a legacy date, therefore jumping to the front of the queue? Which is fair enough, I suppose.

Has anyone else noticed the place changing? Has it moved much for ye?

Could HEO’s only apply from yesterday or have people applied before the 18th for their desired departments/locations?

In my case, I was able to apply for an internal transfer within my department for a change of location. Some would also use it to change section within a location. So when it launched yesterday, I was able to put in a legacy date for my department. There must be others also because I went from 1 to 3 today on the list.

Previously, I reached out to other Department's HR and asked to be put on an Expression of Interest panel. Some obliged, some got me to fill in a CV and one Department, told me they would keep my email on file, but to just note they never actually pulled from that file! So, I was only able to put in yesterday's date when applying for those departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Don't change anything yet, a lot of departments have yet to add their numbers for HEO, AO, AP and PO. If you change anything, you get a new application date for each organisation and location.

In my case, I was able to apply for an internal transfer within my department for a change of location. Some would also use it to change section within a location. So when it launched yesterday, I was able to put in a legacy date for my department. There must be others also because I went from 1 to 3 today on the list.

Previously, I reached out to other Department's HR and asked to be put on an Expression of Interest panel. Some obliged, some got me to fill in a CV and one Department, told me they would keep my email on file, but to just note they never actually pulled from that file! So, I was only able to put in yesterday's date when applying for those departments.

I done the same with some departments but it doesn’t count now I think as you said.

I seem to be really low down in some of my not first choice departments, how does it work if I put them on hold? As I don’t want to refuse a offer as it will put me out of the running for other departments in that zone and will have to reapply.

I was checking my applications this morning and I see I've fallen back in the order. In some cases going from 1 to 3 and another case going from 2 to 6. Is this because there are Internal transfer panels and they were able to input a legacy date, therefore jumping to the front of the queue? Which is fair enough, I suppose.

Has anyone else noticed the place changing? Has it moved much for ye?

There'll be loads of changes until the Day 1 and Legacy Date periods end - I wouldn't put much stock in the numbers at the moment.

DUB142 wrote: »
    I seem to be really low down in some of my not first choice departments, how does it work if I put them on hold? As I don’t want to refuse a offer as it will put me out of the running for other departments in that zone and will have to reapply.

A hold doesn't affect waitlist placing - you'll still move up the lists like everyone else (or stay put if there's been no movement).

You probably don't need to worry about this too much yet - there was an email* to all applicants before CO/EO mobility went live for offers, and similar should happen here.
    *For HRSS/Peoplepoint customers anyway - not sure about Garda Civs, etc.

Even if there's not an email for some reason; it can't go live for offers until 12/04/2021 at the earliest.
    So that's after the 20 working day period for Legacy Date verification is complete, with 12/03/2021 as the last day anyone can apply a Legacy Date. (And assuming they do all verification in a single batch).
    I'm lazy, so I didn't factor in the Bank Holidays, but I think Easter might be around there, and St Patrick's Day definitely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Has anyone moved before the two years at their departments discretion?

Not that I've ever heard of - it'd have to be a really unique circumstance, I think.

HRs don't have the power to request it on their own, because it contravenes the scheme rules; the scheme owners in PER would have to ok it as well.

Edit: I just want to clarify that I was referring to the Mobility scheme only. As others have mentioned below, your HR could potentially move you outside the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭doc22

redmgar wrote: »

before mobility transfers were at departments discretion so long as past probation, but now there's a list and you either satisfy the conditions of the scheme or you don't(including the two years condition). Informal local arrangements(assigned in one region and occasional work in another) and transfers within zone(in same department) are another matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Regular occurrence in AGS but that was because they would have been moving between stations and Garda HR play by their own rules!!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'd say there would have to be serious extenuating circumstances for that to happen within the mobility scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Does anyone know if you apply for it does your department get notified or if it’s only when an offer is made and checks need to be done that they get notified?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you apply for it does your department get notified or if it’s only when an offer is made and checks need to be done that they get notified?

They definitely know how many want to join and how many want to leave.
    I don’t think they get names though.

BlondeBomb wrote: »

They don't get an email or anything, but they can see a list (by name) of everyone in the Department who's applied.

This is just the HR unit though - managers won't know anything.

I'm wondering about this. I don't have two years yet but will by the time the first offers are made. I wonder how this will affect any potential offer? Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm wondering about this. I don't have two years yet but will by the time the first offers are made. I wonder how this will affect any potential offer? Any ideas?

If you think you'll have the two years done in your current location before any offer is made then there is no problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

It won't affect it. You can apply as soon as you start in your role/grade/location. You will be ineligible for two years until you meet the 2 years criteria, but your position will move up on the list are people ahead of your are placed or leave/are promoted. You can get to the top of the list but won't be offered a place until you are eligible. in this situation, a person who is below you on the list who is eligible will be offered that move.

In your case, in a few months when you're eligible you can be offered a move, so apply now if you're interested.

• Advertisement

rostalof wrote: »
    It won't affect it. You can apply as soon as you start in your role/grade/location. You will be ineligible for two years until you meet the 2 years criteria, but your position will move up on the list are people ahead of your are placed or leave/are promoted. You can get to the top of the list but won't be offered a place until you are eligible. in this situation, a person who is below you on the list who is eligible will be offered that move.

That's perfect, thank you. Well I just wondered if I was ineligible when I applied would that mean that my application was ineligible and therefore I would not be entitled to the offer.. But your explanation clarifies that. thanks

Advertisement