Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

• 19-01-2021 12:09pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,102 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

The current Trump v Biden thread is approaching 10k posts. A dedicated thread may be required if there is significant trouble surrounding the inauguration itself.

Going forward we already have a new thread on Trump. This thread is to discuss Biden, not Trump. It's to cover his first 100 days and beyond.

Anyone making references such as "Sleepy Joe" and the like will be threadbanned in addition to possible further sanction. There is no need for any of that sort of stuff - this is to discuss his presidency. His policies. His interactions with Congress, the Senate, State Governors, other Governments. It's not to discuss the likes of Hunter Biden. Keep this thread clean from all that other crap.

I have updated the OP of this thread with a list of threadbanned users, I would advise posters to check on this before posting in the thread again or a forum sanction will be imposed for breaching same.

If you want to discuss your threadban feel free to PM the banning mod (or myself if you can't remember who that is and I'll point you in the right direction).

Threadbanned Users:
    sabat
    theguzman
    RonaVirus
    NSAman
    Hector Savage
    Gonad
    Fog hat
    TomSweeney
    Blaaz_
    12gauge dave
    Real Donald Trump
    hotmail.com
    PhantomHat
    Curse These Metal Hands
    Timberrrrrrrrr
    immortals
    thesalmocab
    eagle eye - lifted 28/7/21
    ohnonotgmail
    1800_Ladladlad
    BlaktainPicard
    TefalBrain
    WhomadeGod
    DubInMeath
    nudain
    Josephfromdowntheroad
    Faugheen - lifted 14/3/22
    astrofool
    Brian? - lifted 9/3/22
    matchbox2021
    Enter name here
    Tonesjones
    Burty330
    yourdeadwright
    extra gravy
    Danzy
    WheelieKing
    .Donegal.
    sonofenoch
    Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

He's got a big, big job ahead of him anyway. I wish him luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I don't think he'll go the full 4 year term.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,013 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm cautiously optimistic. If he can cancel US secession from the WHO, re-enter the Paris climate accords and the deal with Iran and maybe try and heal the country I think he'll have done alright. Not the ideal president but the US system never offers that choice by its nature.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I reckon he'll have the smallest inauguration crowd in history.

Will watch his 100 day corona results. At least there seems to be some intention there

We didn't see the traditional post election bump in the dollar

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I reckon he'll have the smallest inauguration crowd in history.

Will watch his 100 day corona results. At least there seems to be some intention there

We didn't see the traditional post election bump in the dollar

ohyou.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Definitely intention and ambition there- he has promised to vaccinate 100 million American in his first 100 days. Its a tall ask but Fauci said it is do-able. If they can get to 100 milliion vaccinated by the end April and keep going at that pace then the economy will come roaring back in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Trump has made it easy for him to score some quick points when he takes office, but I don't know what he will achieve in the longer term. He will be fairly uninspiring and bland for the most part I expect.

Dealing with Covid-19, within the US context of 'my freedoms', will be a real challenge for him. If he can actually complete the vaccination plan he has set out it will be a real achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Hopefully things settle down over the next 4 years. I won't hold my breath!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,102 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hopefully things settle down over the next 4 years. I won't hold my breath!

The pandemic is going to be grabbing most of the headlines throughout this year,. That in itself may be a little dangerous if some rogue state, possibly prompted by the likes of Russia, decides to try and test him. He could end up fighting a number of fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Let me preface this by saying I support Biden, I did not vote for him in the primaries, but I did in the general election. I would be surprised, given his age, if he serves the full 4 years or at best if he does, I'm not sure he will run for re-election. I think this is a "rebuilding" presidency for the DNC and is really pushing many of the newer faces to the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He'll have a strong start.

The economy is going to surge shortly once the vaccine is rolled out so that will look like a win.

There is a big caravan of migrants from Guatemala on it's way to the southern border which i presume will be welcomed in with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The economy is going to surge shortly once the vaccine is rolled out so that will look like a win.

There is a big caravan of migrants from Guatemala on it's way to the southern border which i presume will be welcomed in with open arms.

It has been blocked and pushed back by Guatemalan security forces. Also, current immigration policies won't be changing for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

No worries ..There is a beautiful wall build that will stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Beasty wrote: »
    The pandemic is going to be grabbing most of the headlines throughout this year,. That in itself may be a little dangerous if some rogue state, possibly prompted by the likes of Russia, decides to try and test him. He could end up fighting a number of fires.

I reckon that the corona means that even a "rogue" state would not be willing to kick off anything serious for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

the vaccine is rolled out so that will look like a win.

They've been on the way since the 2018 Midterms :rolleyes: at their current rate of progress it'll be some time in 2245 before they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

It will be good for everyone that there will be a focus on the immediate threats i.e. Covid.
    There are quite a few low hanging fruits for him to pick off.
    I think if he can maintain communication and a level of transparency that has not been there for the last 4 years he will be making a positive start.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The country hasn't been this fractured since the civil War. Trump has brainwashed a large portion of the population into believing fairytales rather than factual news. Many of these no longer want to believe the truth.

He has a tough job ahead of him. Getting off to a good start by reversing some of the more damaging decisions trump made in the first day or so. My fear is more MAGA terrorism over the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Best of luck to Biden who seems like a thoroughly decent human despite all the mud being thrown at him.

If he even gets half way to the reconciliation and healing that needs to be done arising from the damage of the past 12 years, that will be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Is this the same caravan that has been en route since late summer 2018 that has yet to arrive, or a different one?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Hopefully he can bring back some sense of unity and calm, but I think the emphasis he placed on race regarding covid relief will already have the opposite effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Doesnt really matter what he does, he wont be held to anything like the same accountability his predecessor was.

Will score plenty of points with the loons though.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/19/biden-rachel-levine-health-secretary-460278

• Registered Users Posts: 81,489 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hopefully he can bring back some sense of unity and calm, but I think the emphasis he placed on race regarding covid relief will already have the opposite effect.

What by calling it the Kung flu?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Overheal wrote: »
    What by calling it the Kung flu?

lol I had to look that up. I thought we weren't going to talk about him in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,489 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

lol I had to look that up. I thought we weren't going to talk about him in here.

Well I’m asking you how did Biden make it about race and why do you think he deserves that albatross?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

keano_afc wrote: »
    Doesnt really matter what he does, he wont be held to anything like the same accountability his predecessor was.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/19/biden-rachel-levine-health-secretary-460278

What's your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

The economy will surge if he abandons lockdowns and just opens the country up.

Allowing migrants in who haven't been vaccinated or quarantined? Doesn't that go against the whole logic of lockdowns and covid policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I reckon we'll be hearing a lot of "so? look at what Trump did!" no matter what Biden does, hopefully Im wrong though and he's judged on his own actions without getting cover for everything by people who hated the last president.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,013 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

keano_afc wrote: »

His predecessor hasn't been held accountable at all, even for attempting to incite an insurrection. His devoted cult following are not remotely diminished. He's been impeached twice without being removed from office.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

What's your point?
    As far as I can tell, it's "Trump was treated unfairly. Biden is PC gone mad."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,089 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The economy will surge if he abandons lockdowns and just opens the country up.

Allowing migrants in who haven't been vaccinated or quarantined? Doesn't that go against the whole logic of lockdowns and covid policies?

when did he say he would be allowing them in?

Advertisement