Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interdepartmental Higher Executive Officer 2020 - (Serving Civil Servants ONLY)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

Breezer25 wrote: »
    There was a note at the top of Section B stating that each competency responses should not exceed 300 words.

I know, thanks. This post was in relation to some people running out of space for their job descriptions.

I had another look at my application form. Seems I doubled up on a paragraph on one of the sections, was an oversight on my behalf.

I am hoping it won't go against me as it brings me over the 300 words. I found the form itself poor in its layout and structure.

Yes, the forms are desperate and have been since the moratorium was lifted. The EO 2014 form was identically abysmal, that's almost 7 years ago at this stage. The 300 word limit is the first time I've seen it so low. The employment sections are limited to about 150 words. I thought the competency spaces would be limited to exactly 300 as well, but discovered that wasn't the case.

Me being super paranoid, I went back and whittled the responses down to less then 300. The last thing I need is to be disqualified for having 6 extra words in one box.
    Purpletoes wrote: »
    I know, thanks. This post was in relation to some people running out of space for their job descriptions.

As above, the job sections are limited to about 150 words. I could easily have doubled that on my current placement alone. I maxed out on all of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Yes, the forms are desperate and have been since the moratorium was lifted. The EO 2014 form was identically abysmal, that's almost 7 years ago at this stage. The 300 word limit is the first time I've seen it so low. The employment sections are limited to about 150 words. I thought the competency spaces would be limited to exactly 300 as well, but discovered that wasn't the case.

Me being super paranoid, I went back and whittled the responses down to less then 300. The last thing I need is to be disqualified for having 6 extra words in one box.

As above, the job sections are limited to about 150 words. I could easily have doubled that on my current placement alone. I maxed out on all of mine.

I'm getting paranoid now.... I had the option of 160 words..... which did limit what I could say. I'm wondering if that was a test in itself??

Also, I just noticed going back over my application, apart from a few minor spelling errors, I forgot to sign my application. No sure if that will go against me and if my application will be disallowed. Any views?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Connected99

I'm getting paranoid now.... I had the option of 160 words..... which did limit what I could say. I'm wondering if that was a test in itself??

Also, I just noticed going back over my application, apart from a few minor spelling errors, I forgot to sign my application. No sure if that will go against me and if my application will be disallowed. Any views?

IS the closing date next week? as i recall...
    if so, Then you have time to log into PAS website and Amend those details and re- submit

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭jules86

IS the closing date next week? as i recall...
    if so, Then you have time to log into PAS website and Amend those details and re- submit

Closing date the 12th I thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭eroc79

jules86 wrote: »
    Closing date the 12th I thought?[/quote

Yep

I'd say you're fine on both counts. I had to remove plenty of duties and roles etc in each one as the word count is very restrictive. I ended up having to scrimp and save words from everywhere, it ended up reading more like a tweet in some parts I tried to fit that much in.

It would want to be a cold, heartless b****** who eliminated someone from a comp because they omitted a typed 'signature', so don't sweat it is my advice. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

I would get on to PAS and tell them you noticed you forgot to sign it. Spelling errors won't matter.

The closing date was 12 January at 3pm

MrsBean wrote: »
    I would get on to PAS and tell them you noticed you forgot to sign it. Spelling errors won't matter.

Yes I agree

• Advertisement

The closing date was 12 January at 3pm

Apologises yes it was, I thought it was the 20th Of Jan..
    Sorry... Best of luck everyone

Apologises, yes that is correct
    Tbh I wouldn't worry about it.
    It's done now...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 neevobeevo

Does anyone know if they will shortlist on the basis of the application form before the tests? Thanks

neevobeevo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they will shortlist on the basis of the application form before the tests? Thanks

That would be interesting to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

neevobeevo wrote: »

No, they won't. It's far too labour intensive to do this. There's no point in paying someone to look at forms of people who will never be interviewed because they failed the tests. In previous years it's always been tests first, then the shortlisting takes places in batches. So the first 400 would be shortlisted with roughly 200-250 called forward to interview and presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Are the exams much of a step up from the EO tests?

redmgar wrote: »
    Are the exams much of a step up from the EO tests?

I wouldn't say a big step up, since recruitment restarted the EO tests have always been SHL and the HEO competitions have been Cut-e. I know plenty of people who ace the SHL tests and can't deal with the Cut-e and vice versa. The one thing I would say is for people who struggle with numerical calculations, the cut-e might suit them better. The few times I've done them I needed a calculator for maybe 1 or 2 questions in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I wouldn't say a big step up, since recruitment restarted the EO tests have always been SHL and the HEO competitions have been Cut-e. I know plenty of people who ace the SHL tests and can't deal with the Cut-e and vice versa. The one thing I would say is for people who struggle with numerical calculations, the cut-e might suit them better. The few times I've done them I needed a calculator for maybe 1 or 2 questions in total.

What’s the differences with the situational and verbal analysis for HEO then?

Is it similar to AO for anyone who’s done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Do we have to do the scenario based assessment?
    Were you state if an action in a situation is either good, bad or excellent?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateron

Hi everyone.

How many people do you think apply for this competition?

Does anyone know for definite if its Cut-e or SHL? I need to get practicing😬

Good luck to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Kenevil

Anyane have an idea of when they might start doing the online assessments?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

lateron wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

How many people do you think apply for this competition?

Does anyone know for definite if its Cut-e or SHL? I need to get practicing😬

Good luck to you all.

No definites but it has been cut-E the last 2 campaigns afaik

Kenevil wrote: »
    Anyane have an idea of when they might start doing the online assessments?

Dper circular said link would be send by Feb 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Kenevil

Forthebuzz wrote: »
    Dper circular said link would be send by Feb 5th

Perfect thanks 😊

What’s the differences with the situational and verbal analysis for HEO then?

Is it similar to AO for anyone who’s done it?

The verbal for EO was an SHL test, so it's read a passage of text and answer questions based on the passage. Verbal for HEO has been cut-e previously, so it's 6 tabs with information and you click the correct tab to find the answer to the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 neevobeevo

Can anyone please recommend a test package to buy in preparation for the tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rye Bread

No, they won't. It's far too labour intensive to do this. There's no point in paying someone to look at forms of people who will never be interviewed because they failed the tests. In previous years it's always been tests first, then the shortlisting takes places in batches. So the first 400 would be shortlisted with roughly 200-250 called forward to interview and presentation.

Last HEO competition they shortlisted first then issued the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulmacs.sis

Rye Bread wrote: »

I would love if they shortlisted first.... it would let you know if you form is actually good enough before bothering stressing about the online test! And would make the interview process alot faster considering the smaller amount of candidates available

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I got kicked out of an AP comp for sending in a blank form- maybe they’re just gonna check the forms for things like that.

• Advertisement

The last Interdepartmental they shortlisted after stage one results were out, stage two was shortlisting, stage 3 was supervised test (assessment centre) and stage 4 was interview and presentation

Advertisement