Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

https://tecade.eu/tecade-starts-the-year-with-the-shipment-and-on-site-assembly-of-the-structures-manufactured-for-a-major-road-project-in-southern-ireland/

Large steel beams being shipped over from Seville in Spain for the Bohill Bridge. If they can keep going with the critical bridges the overall delay should be minimal.

Would have been the sort of thing I'd have though would be coming from the likes of Harland and Wolff or a foundry in England? Did they decide to go for Spain to avoid any Brexit shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

theguzman wrote: »
    Would have been the sort of thing I'd have though would be coming from the likes of Harland and Wolff or a foundry in England? Did they decide to go for Spain to avoid any Brexit shenanigans.

I'd say it's because the brits have burned all their bridges at this stage.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

I expect it went to the most attractive deal. Plus, Spain is actually a larger steel producer than the UK. The latter has dropped way down the table o’er the years. Total steel production in Spain was 13.6M tonnes in 2019 vs 7.2M tonnes in the UK.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The kamikaze drone pilot is back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Some very impressive flying with that drone!

Didn't realise how close they are coming to a lot of houses along the new route

• Advertisement

How do those Drones stay in touch with the pilot back at base? Over that distance I'd have thought they'd be out of range? Or does the Drone have a built-in 3G/4G sim and transmitter to communicate over mobile data?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭thomil

You‘d be surprised at the theoretical range that even consumer drones can reach. For example, most of DJIs drone line-up use a proprietary wireless protocol called Occusync that can theoretically allow drones to operate as far as 10 kilometers away from the operator, so long as there‘s a theoretical line of sight.

Whether that‘s legal is a different discussion altogether that would completely blow the scope of this thread.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

marno21 wrote: »
    The kamikaze drone pilot is back. :)
    People have mentioned it here a couple of times, and I've always been a bit skeptical considering what we've seen on other projects, but this really does look like a game of two projects - the project East of Carrigaphooca AKA the Macroom bypass, and the project West of Carrigaphooca.

Based on all the work being done on the Macroom bypass, and the paucity of work being done on the other part, it really does look like they are going for partial openings here.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Where are the spanish steel beams being used on ?

serfboard wrote: »
    People have mentioned it here a couple of times, and I've always been a bit skeptical considering what we've seen on other projects, but this really does look like a game of two projects - the project East of Carrigaphooca AKA the Macroom bypass, and the project West of Carrigaphooca.

Based on all the work being done on the Macroom bypass, and the paucity of work being done on the other part, it really does look like they are going for partial openings here.

I think I read before that it is all due to open together though, there isn't much done on the western section it seems yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mastershake

How do those Drones stay in touch with the pilot back at base? Over that distance I'd have thought they'd be out of range? Or does the Drone have a built-in 3G/4G sim and transmitter to communicate over mobile data?

I would say that this video was edited a few times. You can see the operator and his van parked up at a number of locations where the new road crosses an existing regional road. The video is well edited so it does seem like one long endless shot. Excellent perspective of the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

He's a complete lunatic with that drone. Through the middle of everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Lovely shots of the countryside in that drone video. As awful as the N22 is at the moment between Macroom and Baile Bhúirne, once this new road is completed I think the 50-km drive from Coolcower to Killarney will be one of the most scenic and pleasant drives in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I assume the footage has been sped up and that it was going through much slower than it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think the speed is variable. At one point one sees a car going a normal speed. Then later as he crosses the N22 you can see the cars are zipping by.
    Lovely to have the updates though, well done.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

steeler j wrote: »
    Where are the spanish steel beams being used on ?
    River Bohill bridge. Located here: 51.95232,-9.16480

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So just to clarify, is work on the bypass completely shut down for the moment or not? There was some conflicting comments on this a few days ago.

serfboard wrote: »

Three projects even. The Ballyvourney/Ballymakeera bypass section is also more advanced than the intertown section. Most of the rock blasting is done on that section and the structures are under construction. Very little progress by comparison on the inter town section but work did commence on that in earnest before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

So just to clarify, is work on the bypass completely shut down for the moment or not? There was some conflicting comments on this a few days ago.

I'm up and down every day, there's defo some lads on site but from the roadside work seems to have slowed up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

More concrete on the way tonight!

• Advertisement

I drove through the site at the minute and it really is a skeleton crew on site. Just a few lads up the back of Ballyvourney and at the new bridges over the Laney/R618 were all I could see along the route.

Article on the steel girders being brought over from Spain:

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/n22-bypass-girders-for-village-viaduct-delivered-40020110.html

Interesting quote:
    The spokesman said the project was on schedule to be completed in late 2023 though sections of the road might be opened in the interim, depending on circumstances.

Will the Coolcower roundabout reach out over the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not to derail TOO much, but its weird that this job is down to a skeleton crew due to restrictions, and yet Dunkettle is lashing ahead seemingly undeterred.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

A Facebook page has been set up with updates also https://www.facebook.com/Macroom-By-Pass-fan-page-110458883713392/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Water John wrote: »
    Will the Coolcower roundabout reach out over the river?

No. It will tie in to the existing road on the Macroom side of the narrow bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

I'm hearing sounds this morning i haven't heard in a good few weeks. I didn't miss this hammering but good they are back working by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

I seen one of the bridge beams passing into Birr a couple of weeks ago. Some piece of skilful driving. Didn’t realise they were the longest in Ireland.

https://www.offalyindependent.ie/2021/02/05/banaghers-record-breaking-beams/

KrisW1001 wrote: »
    No. It will tie in to the existing road on the Macroom side of the narrow bridge.

They're will be a roundabout there to tie in the old road that will come out from Macroom, AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Water John wrote: »
    They're will be a roundabout there to tie in the old road that will come out from Macroom, AFAIK.

A pain in the hole from Coolcower to Ovens more like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A pain in the hole from Coolcower to Ovens more like!

Well ovens to four mile bridge isn't too bad , although they could do with putting in overtaking lanes along most of the length ,. But 4 mile bridge to 2 mile bridge .. it's a bit of a dose ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement