Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

• 18-01-2021 7:06pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So restrictions are at Level 5 presently. Will they be relaxed (ever!!)?

Part I
    Part II
    Part III
    Part IV
    Part V
    Part VI
    Part VII

All warnings and threadbans carry over. Please PM the mod issuing a threadban if you wish to discuss options for being allowed to post again

Mod warnings
    Beasty wrote: »
    It looks like tensions in this thread have been rising

Some general warnings to all:

Remain civil. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because it's the polar opposite of your own does not invalidate it. Anyone who is uncivil towards other users can expect a minimum of a threadban.

Keep to the topic

Do not present "opinion" as "fact"

Do not believe all stats that are spouted. Usually figures presented in any official way are not only checked for inaccuracies, but will also have caveats and/or explanations of what was done to derive any conclusions reached. Stats though are not "facts" beyond the sample they represent. They can be used to draw conclusions over wider populations, but those conclusions are always subject to a margin of error

If you throw up an example please explain what point you are making. For example "Look at Sweden" means nothing unless you say what you are looking at in connection with Sweden. Is it restrictions, is it deaths, is it infections?

Hinting or implying that other users are re-regs is against the charter. It is strongly advised that you report posts and let the mods deal with it.

Threadbans will follow if people cannot follow this simple instruction.

Beasty wrote: »
    Another reminder - this thread is about restrictions and their relaxation

General Covid discussion belongs in the current Covid thread (#XVII)

Political discussion belongs in Current Affairs or Politics
    Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Mod actions can be discussed via PM if you like.

On thread is not permitted.

I will note what I said in the other thread this evening though:

Calling people names such as Dr. Death or Saint Tony etc. only weaken your argument, it's the lowest form of wit.

Keep it civil and on topic and you can discuss the restrictions or your opposition to them as much as you like

Stop bringing the cervical cancer discussion into this thread, if you want to discuss it, start a thread on it elsewhere on the site.

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

I'm not going to post another warning on this - stop bringing up the cervical cancer issues in this thread.

It's in the OP not to discuss the issue, if you want to discuss it, go to another forum and start a thread on it, it is not Covid related.

Threadbans will follow if people cannot follow this instruction

Threadbans:
    housemouse
    Cupatae
    CtevenSrowder
    Unelected CMO
    Risteard81
    trapp
    RugbyLad11
    Jimmy Garlic
    Jinglejangle69
    easypazz
    snowcat
    ziggyman17
    ShineOn7
    JoeExotic81
    The_Dazzler
    lawrencesummers
    LiquidZeb
    gral6
    John O.Groats
    Plumbthedepths
    nofools
    MelbourneMan
    bucketybuck
    road_high
    Banana Republic 1
    manniot2 (lifted 10/1/21, reinstated 15/1/21)
    Caraibh
    BryanMartin21
    MadYaker
    Coybig_
    DrFrost - lifted 13/02/21
    Paddygreen
    Rrrrrr2
    drunkmonkey
    sweetmaggie
    HBC08
    patnor1011
    rusty cole
    zerosugarbuzz
    bettyoleary
    TheCitizen
    Ginger n Lemon
    risteard7
    sabat
    GazzaL
    Mr. Karate
    Kunta Kinte
    Cork2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Will I ever get a pint

Will I ever get a pint

Well the virus loves alcohol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

The new restrictions should be kicking in shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Open the pubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Will I ever get a pint

Yes you will. Speculation that Pubs will reopen on 30th February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Where does the virus go for a pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

ShyMets wrote: »

30 Feb 2030

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

If people quarantined there would be no issue with air travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think we will be out of Level 5 by the end of Feb. That’s judging by the pace of decline. The government must also consider other factors that won’t be considered in NPHET “Advice”

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

You had my hopes up there for a minute 😷

• Advertisement

:D

We are imprisoned until the beginning of April is my prediction. They will need to keep us that way because of Patrick's Day and the huge caution they will act with due to the decisions made in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Doesnt like the 9 euro meal though...

Doesnt like the 9 euro meal though...

I kind of miss caesar salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

We are imprisoned until the beginning of April is my prediction. They will need to keep us that way because of Patrick's Day and the huge caution they will act with due to the decisions made in December.

St. Patrick's day plus any one of the bank holidays all through the Spring/Summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,230 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

tenor.gif

"So Tony, what do you reckon should we throw the plebs a bone by March 1st and dial back the restrictions?"

"What are you talking about? You know what happens on March 17th, the horror."

"C'mon Tony, it's only one day in the month and the public have been fairly subservient so far..."

"Silence when you are speaking! No concessions, they'll all be drinking cans in public parks and eating the faces off each other. Civilisation would collapse and the zombies take its place."

"Ah now Tony I think you're being unreasonable..."

"Get off my pulpit! And before you leave, tighten Michéal Martin's chain as he's making too much noise again. Send in Zara King and George Lee for their daily briefing. There will be unanimous agreement about April or alcohol will be banished from the shelves. Now clear out of my sight."

Was the Danish study on lockdowns from medrxiv already posted?

medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.28.20248936v1

I can't post the full link myself because I've not enough posts on the forum yet, but it concludes that lockdowns are ineffective at preventing spread. Not that they're worse on balance given all their negative impact, but that they don't do what they're said to in any case.

If the conclusion is born out by other studies then continuing lockdowns would be unforgivably unethical.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Gael23 wrote: »
    I think we will be out of Level 5 by the end of Feb. That’s judging by the pace of decline. The government must also consider other factors that won’t be considered in NPHET “Advice”

Not going to happen that soon . Dream on.

At this point in time, is it now fair to say that hospitals getting overwhelmed is a load of tosh?
    We were constantly hearing before how the hospitals would fill up and doctors would be playing God...

Even with thousands of cases a day, an outbreak that nobody modelled and over 2000 in hospital, we still haven’t reached that point.

And apparently that is the whole point of lockdown. Right?

It begs the question, should we not be attempting to live with Covid and keep hospitals close to capacity?

What were we thinking not easing restrictions last year with less than 20 in hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Based on today’s figures we are at a monthly run rate of about 60,000 cases per month. Absolutely minuscule figures for a country of 5 million people. In the worst month seasonally for coronavirus’s we have an infection level of roughly 1% of the population. And 99% of that 1% will make a full recovery. We need to end this madness now, we’ve been locked up for too long, we have to move to level 2 at the end of January!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Harpon wrote: »
    Based on today’s figures we are at a monthly run rate of about 60,000 cases per month. Absolutely minuscule figures for a country of 5 million people. In the worst month seasonally for coronavirus’s we have an infection level of roughly 1% of the population. And 99% of that 1% will make a full recovery. We need to end this madness now, we’ve been locked up for too long, we have to move to level 2 at the end of January!

Once group 3 has been vaccinated by end of March there is no further excuse for anything above level 2. No level of “concern” (greatly gravely seriously etc) from Tony matters at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

At this point in time, is it now fair to say that hospitals getting overwhelmed is a load of tosh?
    We were constantly hearing before how the hospitals would fill up and doctors would be playing God...

Even with thousands of cases a day, an outbreak that nobody modelled and over 2000 in hospital, we still haven’t reached that point.

And apparently that is the whole point of lockdown. Right?

It begs the question, should we not be attempting to live with Covid and keep hospitals close to capacity?

What were we thinking not easing restrictions last year with less than 20 in hospital?

You probably thought Y2K was a joke too, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭arctictree

Harpon wrote: »

Remember that many sites (e.g. Nursing homes) are being tested weekly or even more often. So the same cases are being counted over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Will I ever get a pint

Not in this police state.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Penfailed wrote: »

Alleluia.

It’s taken me about 10 months to convince you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Once group 3 has been vaccinated by end of March there is no further excuse for anything above level 2. No level of “concern” (greatly gravely seriously etc) from Tony matters at that point.

He'll find a reason to keep Level 5 going. He's not going to ride off into the sunset quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,702 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Fitting that 'the restrictions' would end on Paddys Day 2021 given when it all started but NPHET (Dr Tony more likely) knows what that day could bring and we all know we will still be in Level 5/4 by then or some other level mix bag with all hospitality closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    He'll find a reason to keep Level 5 going. He's not going to ride off into the sunset quietly.

I don’t think he will, we will have been in some sort of restricted living for a year at that stage. I’d like to think most people would say **** off at that point but this situation has shown we have quite a few spineless simps in this country who will happily bend over for the government and cheerlead their lives and freedoms passing them by :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Penfailed wrote: »

I really wish some of you lot actually had to live in a police state for a while

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement