Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Out - What you need to get/do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

cletus wrote: »
    Agreed. Once you get down beyond Athy and heading towards Carlow and St. Mullins, (I assume that's the neck of the woods you took that picture, iwillhtfu) it can be very scenic.

No so much heading back the opposite direction towards Monasterevin and Robertsown.

This is all only based around the Barrow Line of course

Yup slap bang in the middle :)

One day I plan to set out from Dublin to check it all out. I wonder how long it would take to get down to St.Mullins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Yup slap bang in the middle :)

One day I plan to set out from Dublin to check it all out. I wonder how long it would take to get down to St.Mullins

It's an interesting proposition. I presume camping as you go. I had figured on doing Rathangan to Athy to begin with. Just because I live in Rathangan and have a very good friend with direct access to the canal in Athy.

Would you be looking at 5 days, maybe?

I did a quick bit of a calculation there. It's 137km from Hazelhatch to St. Mullins, plus whatever the distance from Dublin to Hazelhatch. Can't be more than 200km all told.

You'd cover 25km a day easy, I'd imagine, probably more, so say 5-6 days.

This is all in the starting out thread so if a mod wanted to break this off and put it as its own thread, that might be an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

Did some planning of that last spring with a view to doing it in the summer. Never came to pass but there's always this summer. Idea was to start upriver of Portarlington going to at least St Mullins. Possibly Hook Head depending on how salty I was feeling.

Romer wrote: »
    Did some planning of that last spring with a view to doing it in the summer. Never came to pass but there's always this summer. Idea was to start upriver of Portarlington going to at least St Mullins. Possibly Hook Head depending on how salty I was feeling.

So Barrow, as opposed to the Barrow way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

So Barrow, as opposed to the Barrow way?

Yeah.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I wonder how long it would take to get down to St.Mullins

We did the Barrow from Athy to St. Mullins in 2019.
    Left Athy Friday at midday and reached St. Mullins at midday on the Monday.

We did the Barrow from Athy to St. Mullins in 2019.
    Left Athy Friday at midday and reached St. Mullins at midday on the Monday.

I'd love to hear a bit more about that. How many of ye, what sort of pace, camping etc

I'd love to hear a bit more about that. How many of ye, what sort of pace, camping etc

We done it a couple of times over the past few years. We were meant to do Lough Erne in 2020 but Covid put a stop to that.
    Anyway, I'm a member of The Irish Kayak Angling Club and we primarily use our kayaks for fishing - sea, lakes and rivers.
    We have regular fishing meets around the country which usually involve one or two nights camping.
    However, once a year we do a river paddle over a bank holiday weekend - hence setting out Friday and finishing on the Monday.
    The last one one the Barrow saw eleven of us set off from Athy. The trip to St. Mullins is about 85k so we aimed for 20-25km per day.

IKA-Barrow-Paddle-2019-0025.jpg

We camped along the river at various points, sometimes close to a town so we could get essential supplies - beer and burgers primarily.

IKA-Barrow-Paddle-2019-0061.jpg

Most of us went through the locks though a few daredevils took the shorter route over the weirs.

IKA-Barrow-Paddle-2019-0079.jpg

It got a bit congested at times going through the locks.

IKA-Barrow-Paddle-2019-0086.jpg

Have to say it was a brilliant weekend and we were blessed with good weather.

IKA-Barrow-Paddle-2019-0038.jpg

That looks great. Myself and a mate were looking for an overnighter, or maybe a 2 or 3 day trip. He lives in Athy, so that looks ideal.

What did you do for getting back home once you hit St. Mullins?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I used to paddle around Athgarvan the year before last. Never got out last year, would be interested in the paddle camp trip. Would probably take turns with the wife to take the kids in the car and meet later on.

What did you do for getting back home once you hit St. Mullins?

There's the sticky bit.
    We all travelled from various parts of the country so it was up to each to arrange the logistics.
    So there was some people travelling to St. Mullins in convoy and leaving some cars there while loading all gear onto the other cars before driving back up to Athy. They would then leave some cars in Athy which meant they would have to get dropped back to Athy from St. Mullins on the Monday. Bit of a pain but it was the only way they could manage.
    I was lucky in that my daughter travelled to Athy with me on the Friday and she then took my car. She then drove back down to St. Mullins and picked me up on the Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭phildub

Hi all!

I'm thinking of buying an inflatable kayak, interested to hear people's thoughts and opinions?!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WildWater

phildub wrote: »
    Hi all!

I'm thinking of buying an inflatable kayak, interested to hear people's thoughts and opinions?!

I wrote this about inflatables a few months ago.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113697291&postcount=20

Hi all!

DON'T

They are highly frowned upon by the Coast Guard and RNLI

DON'T

They are highly frowned upon by the Coast Guard and RNLI

That post is both dramatic and vague. I do plenty of things in my life that you could argue is frowned upon by some organisation or people etc. Can you tell me what their concerns are etc and do they apply to all bodies of water as I wasn't planning on taking an inflatable craft out to sea!

Can you tell me what their concerns are etc and do they apply to all bodies of water as I wasn't planning on taking an inflatable craft out to sea!

The two relevant bodies have lots of stories regarding inflatable kayaks.
    Admittedly most of the incidents took place at sea with people getting caught out by offshore winds. I'm sure they're fine on a canal or quiet backwater but keep away from the big lakes and the coast.
    Think of a plastic bottle being blown across the surface of the water by the wind. That's essentially what an inflatable is.

Admittedly most of the incidents took place at sea with people getting caught out by offshore winds. I'm sure they're fine on a canal or quiet backwater but keep away from the big lakes and the coast.
    Think of a plastic bottle being blown across the surface of the water by the wind. That's essentially what an inflatable is.

I think you're assuming these inflatable kayaks are all Lidl level, they have come on a bit since the lilo level they used to be. I still probably wouldn't recommend one but you can certainly buy ones that would be more than sufficient for canals and calm rivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WildWater

Idiots will do idiotic things but in all fairness someone coming on to a kayaking forum asking for advice before they purchase is hardly the hallmark of an idiot. When handled sensibly, in the right location and conditions, with proper safety equipment (including both a kayak anchor and a sea drogue), then I think quality inflatables, like what you can get at Decathlon, have their place.

Phildub, out of curiosity, what's the reasoning for buying an inflatable kayak? Is it a space issue?

• Advertisement

Phildub, out of curiosity, what's the reasoning for buying an inflatable kayak? Is it a space issue?

I have a VW bettle so it's a transport issue! Storage is actually not an issue

https://www.rackattack.com/car-rack-installations/volkswagen/beetle/

You can get roof racks for pretty much any car

https://www.rackattack.com/car-rack-installations/volkswagen/beetle/

You can get roof racks for pretty much any car

Thanks but its a soft top! I actually think I'm going to wait until restrictions open up and join a kayak club and get lessons etc and with the club membership you can go out on weekend trips etc so might be easier altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Coz

Hi All,

I'm fortunate to live by the sea and I'm interested in getting a kayak just for exercise and fun when the water is flat. Possibly one I can take one of the kids on for a spin from time to time (the water is quite shallow when the tide is in).

Would anyone have any recommendations of what to start with? I was thinking of a Sit On Top.

Also I'd be a larger gentleman - do I need to be concerned about weight limits?

Are there any good places / websites for second hand gear?

Also what's involved in paddle selection? Are there pros/cons - do's/don'ts?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

What would be a rough cost for starting out for a 2 up kayak ? Myself & 10 year old son

Lads before taking kids out on water learn to how use a kayak yourselves, I'd suggest gong along to a few organised trips with your local clubs. The cost of inexperience can sometimes come at the greatest expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Coz

Lads before taking kids out on water learn to how use a kayak yourselves, I'd suggest gong along to a few organised trips with your local clubs. The cost of inexperience can sometimes come at the greatest expense.

Oh absolutely! That would be way down the line plus they'd never get in with me at this time of year even thought they have wetsuits too!

Coz wrote: »
    Would anyone have any recommendations of what to start with? I was thinking of a Sit On Top.

Also I'd be a larger gentleman - do I need to be concerned about weight limits?

Are there any good places / websites for second hand gear?

Also what's involved in paddle selection? Are there pros/cons - do's/don'ts?

Best person in this country to talk to is Darren Stock in Darrens Kayaks.

Impartial advice, no hard sell and you can try his kayaks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Best person in this country to talk to is Darren Stock in Darrens Kayaks.

Impartial advice, no hard sell and you can try his kayaks out.

Where is Darren located ?

• Advertisement

Where is Darren located ?

I've linked his website in that post. He's based in Durrus, West Cork.

Advertisement