Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Throttling at Kilcullen chargers?

Options
  • 15-01-2021 6:04pm

I plugged in this afternoon and the battery temp was 15 Deg C, 28 Kw off the 50 Kw charger.

At 50% battery temp, charging reporting 28 Kw, battery temp 20 Deg C and it should have been pulling 50 Kw at this point with a battery temp of 20 deg C and 50% charge so it was definitely throttling.

There was a Leaf 40 Kwh on the 150 Kw.

If this is throttling which I can not find any other reason then this is disgraceful, there is absolutely no reason I was receiving only 28 Kw because the battery was warm enough.

Another reason to love Public charging, madness.

Can anyone find out at Kilcullen what their car is pulling when they know for certain it should be pulling 50 Kw ? obviously it will depend a lot on battery temp so you really need to know for sure it's up to temp.

Also need to know if a car is charging at the 150 Kw at the same time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ei9go

That charger has never been right. Suffers from varying output and drives my car mad. Reported it repeatedly to Ecars since last June. I believe same problem exists at Portlaoise and Galway.

ei9go wrote: »
    That charger has never been right. Suffers from varying output and drives my car mad. Reported it repeatedly to Ecars since last June. I believe same problem exists at Portlaoise and Galway.

It's a sick joke really, I go on about the Rex sure, but when you need the infrastructure it lets you down in some form or another.

28 Kw is a joke. We need more data on this.

The ESB will probably say " your SOC" was too high. "your battery temp was too low" so we need hard data, we need People who know they should be getting the 50 Kw because they know by the SOC of their car and they will know the battery temp. No point saying the car isn't charging above 28 Kw if they don't know the actual battery temp.

What I'd really like to know is if the throttling was due to the Leaf on the 150 kw charger ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have charged at 100kW there without issue, I dont think there is a throttle

ELM327 wrote: »
    I have charged at 100kW there without issue, I dont think there is a throttle

No I'm talking about the 50 Kw, there was definitely something wrong the other day because the charger was only showing 28 Kw with a battery temp of 20 Deg C, that's not right.

There was a leaf 40 Kwh charging on the 150 Kw.

the 50kW is dodgy there, the chademo never works, but I was charging beside an M3 SR when I was charging and they were getting 50kW (displayed on the charger) while I got >80kW from the HPC

• Advertisement

the 50kW is dodgy there, the chademo never works, but I was charging beside an M3 SR when I was charging and they were getting 50kW (displayed on the charger) while I got >80kW from the HPC

It's a Joke then they charge you more for using the 150 kw.

No, I'm saying the CCS on the 50kW worked with the M3 charging on it, while I charged on the CCS HPC and got 80kW+
    Makes sense to pay for the higher speed in that instance

No, I'm saying the CCS on the 50kW worked with the M3 charging on it, while I charged on the CCS HPC and got 80kW+
    Makes sense to pay for the higher speed in that instance

Oh definitely, if I had the id.3 or M3, MS and I knew the battery was up to temp I'd charge on the 150 Kw but since I only have the i3 there's no point paying more to use the 150 Kw.

It's a bad situation though, 50 Kw cars stuck to 150 Kw chargers that can't charge more than 50 Kw and cars capable of more than 50 Kw stuck on 50 Kw chargers, joke especially if the 50 Kw is dodgy and only dishing out 28 Kw according to the charger readout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Can someone briefly explain the term 'throttling' in this context because as a child it meant something entirely different when my parents said it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Throttling refers to a restriction in power available to charge the battery in the car.
    Imagine a car is capable of charging at 100kW, the charging power will throttle based on state of charge (how filled the battery is), the battery temperature, and can also slow down based on the available power at the charging site.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    Throttling refers to a restriction in power available to charge the battery in the car.
    Imagine a car is capable of charging at 100kW, the charging power will throttle based on state of charge (how filled the battery is), the battery temperature, and can also slow down based on the available power at the charging site.

No you're not getting me, not the throttling I'm talking about.

The throttling I'm talking about is by the ESB either through software or dodgy charger.

I was at Kilcullen last Friday getting 28 Kw or the charger was pulling 28 Kw and there was no reason for it because I was at 50% and the battery was at 20 Deg C, the i3 was not throttling because it will pull 50 Kw all the way to 80-85% depending on battery temp.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

No you're not getting me, not the throttling I'm talking about.

The throttling I'm talking about is by the ESB either through software or dodgy charger.

I was at Kilcullen last Friday getting 28 Kw or the charger was pulling 28 Kw and there was no reason for it because I was at 50% and the battery was at 20 Deg C, the i3 was not throttling because it will pull 50 Kw all the way to 80-85% depending on battery temp.

Aka the available power at the charging site ...
    Whether that's due to the software on the charger, a network supply issue, or the fact that eCars want you to be on your merry way using the REX is immaterial, it's all throttling due to the available power.

Aka the available power at the charging site ...
    Whether that's due to the software on the charger, a network supply issue, or the fact that eCars want you to be on your merry way using the REX is immaterial, it's all throttling due to the available power.

Yes it does matter, a lot, throttling by the car is unavoidable, except in circumstances where batteries are cold and cars with battery heaters fail to heat the due to bad implementation of software or whatever, that's another matter but when the ESB are limiting to 28 Kw that is a really big deal.

Yes it does matter, a lot, throttling by the car is unavoidable, except in circumstances where batteries are cold and cars with battery heaters fail to heat the due to bad implementation of software or whatever, that's another matter but when the ESB are limiting to 28 Kw that is a really big deal.

Not when it comes to the poster's question, "what is throttling"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Especially with the cost premium of those higher power chargers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Especially with the cost premium of those higher power chargers

Well I don't know if the 150 Kw is limited as I wasn't using it but the 50 Kw definitely was, 28 Kw is pathetic.

Paying per Kwh to have the power throttled, that's just wrong. Paying for the service now it is just wrong.

I'd like more People to test it if they are reading this to please report the Kw readout on the charger but you need to know that your car should be getting 50 Kw at xx charge % and need to know the battery temp, ambient is no good.

I'd like more People to test it if they are reading this to please report the Kw readout on the charger but you need to know that your car should be getting 50 Kw at xx charge % and need to know the battery temp, ambient is no good.

Much better to get the data from the car, the meter on the side is the power into the charger, remember the one at Portlaoise that was misconfigured and would show 65kW when a car was receiving 48kW

Much better to get the data from the car, the meter on the side is the power into the charger, remove the one at Portlaoise that was misconfigured and would show 65kW when a car was receiving 48kW

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of having any form of power and consumption in the i3.

It's the only time I saw the 50 Kw in Kilcullen reading so low for so long so I assume it to be reading correctly it was charging very slowly.

I think Bjorn used an app but for Android. So I might see if I can get this going.

Advertisement