Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ZOE ZE50 impressions & comparisons

Options
  • 13-05-2020 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

ZOE ZE50 Initial Impressions & Comparisons
    I have been driving the new Zoe ZE50 for about a week and coming from the ZE40 R110 and previously the Q210 22 kW, I thought I might share my observations and comparisons.

https://youtu.be/DCK5UgotO6g to see the car.

The model I am driving is the ZE50 R135 Quick Charge with winter pack and full leather pack so it’s the range topper.
    The most obvious update is that you now have 52 kWh available compared to the previous 41 kWh.

First, the outside, there is quite an upgrade in most areas from the previous models. There are LED headlights, fog lights and rear cluster lights. The headlights on the previous Zoe’s were terrible. They used a strange arrangement of a single H7 bulb always running and a motorised beam deflector. The new LED headlights are a huge improvement. Fog lights are not a feature that I really care about but they are there. There were not any on the previous models.

There are all around parking sensors front rear and side and a reversing camera. The model also has Blind spot monitoring with LED’s that light up in both mirrors. Mirrors automatically open and close and the car unlocks when you walk up to it. You no longer have to press the button on the door handle.
    The first thing you notice is the power difference. Use the accelerator in enthusiasm or anger with the steering other than straight and you feel the front wheels scrambling for grip. The R110 was a big improvement over the original Q210 but this is noticeably in a different class on acceleration. There is an impression of the car being higher than the previous one. I first noticed it when standing next to the LHD one in the showroom. Maybe it’s an illusion but the impression continues inside. You always sat quite high up but maybe the seats had sunk slightly in the ZE40. The manual handbrake is replaced by an automatic one. The regeneration now gets a “B” mode which is quite aggressive but the standard mode is much less than the R110, it’s very close to coasting which is probably more efficient and of course you can use the brake pedal to increase the level of regeneration just like the previous model.

ECO mode on the previous models limited the speed to 96 kph but also limited the power that the motor could take from the traction battery to around 22 kW so effectively giving you a sort of variable topographic dependant cruise control. The car would slow down going up hills on cruise control. ECO is very different on the new model, the instant consumption screen shows it taking up to 43 kW on acceleration and it seems to just dull the throttle response and tame the aircon a bit. The heater also works in ECO mode which it really didn’t previously. The reach ability map now shows your predicated range in both standard and eco mode and the speed limit in eco mode is a more useful 100 kph. There is little point talking about range in an electric car because we all know if you drive at a constant 120kph, you will use lots of energy. As an example, the reach ability map shows Waterford to Lisburn in eco mode and over the border in standard mode. The GOM indicates 380 km when 100% charged.

The new Easylink 9.3” screen and system is a considerable upgrade on the RLink. It responds very quickly and is intuitive so there is minimal need to consult the thick supplied manual. Of interest to electric car owners is that the screen shows you the four nearest charge points. It doesn’t know the occupancy status. There is much made of the customisation options of the dashboard display and I do not see the point initially of been able to have the radio station display or the satnav to the left of the KPH screen. Unlike the ZE40, there is no SD card, everything works over the air. A conversation with Renault customer services when looking for the authorisation code for the ZE services results in the information that the My Renault app is not rolled out to Ireland so you can’t see the charging state of the car remotely. The ZE online of the previous model does not work and there is no authorisation code needed for the new Easy link system. There is full Europe mapping and free updates on the Ireland and UK maps. The rear view mirror dims automatically. A new upgrade is the presence of two USB’s in the rear for back seat passengers and two in the front in addition to the 12V outlet.

The ZE50 also has a number of levels of driver assistance, mostly notably Lane keeping assist. I tried it on the M9 coming from the N80 junction to Waterford at 120 kph (essential journey collecting the car from Portlaoise) and it does work, you can feel the input of the system and it will react quite strongly to you overtaking someone and neglecting to indicate your return to left lane. The handbook shows automatic emergency braking but it’s definitely not in the driver assistance menu.

Charging: The ZE50 maintains all previous Zoe’s party trick of charging from the SCP’s at up to 22 kW. I charged from 25% to 100% in around 2 hours and the charger delivered 41.5 kWh. It has a new design of the AC charging port flap which opens itself when you press the release button so removing a known failure point. I haven’t tried the CCS charging. With 22 kW charging, you could do without it but obviously handy to have on a longer journey.

If I have missed anything, please ask me a question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭ei9go

An Update on the app non availability in Ireland. As mentioned previously Renault customer services told me that the app was not available in IRL but also explained how their new system worked. It's different to what you were used to in that the ZE50 Easylink system generates the code you need so no need for the dealer or Renault to supply the code as was the case with ZE online.

So, I downloaded the apk and loaded it, set up my account and then followed the on screen instructions to pair with the Easylink.

Next morning, had an email from Renault asking was their system correct that I had downloaded the app and had paired it successfully. They really are watching you. i just replied Yes. later that day, an email from Renault to everyone ,to say the app would shortly be available.

The only issue for us in IRL is that it's not in the Playstore for us.

The apk you want is My Renault 4.2.0 Here's a link to it: https://www.apkhere.com/app/com.renault.myrenault.one.fr

Still Learning what the car can do.

The easylink is such a huge upgrade from the previous Rlink system. The response to voice commands is absolutely instantaneous and speed the system makes a phone call is so different to the Rlink. When you say to call someone, the call starts instantly, no wondering like the Rlink if it's ever going to happen.

A new feature is that if you have 2 phones set up, it will switch the bluetooth instantly to whichever phone is receiving a phone call. Further investigation required to see if it can do more than 2 and what happens if one phone is playing bluetooth audio at the time. Wonder does it switch back to the other phones audio when the call is finished.

Behind the handbrake button, there is another one . This is the Autohold and it effectively stops creep when stopped so that in traffic you don't have to keep your foot on the brake pedal. Jury is out on this one. Tends to make starting again a little jerky as obviously it has to disengage first

As mentioned in the first post, regen is different to the previous cars and i am not sure I prefer it. In standard mode, it will coast for what seems an age. Regen is around 12 kW when it's doing this from 50 kph. I find myself using the brake pedal more whereas in the ZE40, I seldom used it very much. I find B mode too aggressive for my liking. Need something in the middle.

There should really be variable regen so that you can set the level thats suits your driving style. Further thoughts as they arise.

My Renault App in the Irish Google Playstore today.

This bloke drove a Zoe 50 on a full battery at top speed of an indicated 145kmph(in so much as possible) on Autobahn and was able to get 200km range out of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6C2XlRQ1fU
    As the car is aerodynamically challenged it shows the car is comfortably able to do 200km round trips at motorway speed.

This same masochist did another trip at 90kmph and got 350km out of the battery with 10% left in the batteries.
    Caveat: ambient termperatures in Bayern are near perfect today.

He notes that his back is killing him. He complained about the e-UP! seats too but these are intended to be city cars.
    The Zoe 50 can certainly go the distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjmL-OVwgmU

• Advertisement

Did 270km, Waterford to Portlaoise and back with 70 km 21% remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,773 ✭✭✭✭unkel

This same masochist did another trip at 90kmph and got 350km out of the battery with 10% left in the batteries.

Pretty poor for a small car with a 50kWh battery

unkel wrote: »
    Pretty poor for a small car with a 50kWh battery
    Because there are supermini class cars with greater range?

So the 29th, allowed go anywhere. A lot of things had built up during the lockdown so yesterday was the day to clear the diary.

Left Waterford fully charged. First stop near Ratoath. Then was going to go to Maxol in Navan for a charge but was in use when I checked so went to circle K near Ratoath. Breakfast but charger only charging at 27 kW. Got 12.42 kWh.

Stopped for toilet break in Castlebellingham , collected 7.65 kWh in 12 mins. started at 49.50 kW

Then onto Carlingford. SCP at Tourist office there so collected 6.5 kWh wasn't there for very long.

Next The Westwood Centre just off the A55. Collected 38 kWh there in about 1hr 45. 22kW charging for the win. What daisy and daisy wasn't the first thought beginning with D, designed the charger placement there?

Lastly Lusk southbound, Burger King open again. Collected 17.22 kWh in 28 mins while eating and then home arriving with 10% remaining.

The totals: driven 710 km. Average consumption 15.9 kWh / 100km. Cost 10.81 Euro. Time waiting to charge : none.

Failures : Newry Fastways, charger couldn't connect to server so wouldn't work. Surprised because had used before so thought I should be in the whitelist. Was at 80% so if I had got the other 20% there, could have driven all the way to Waterford without stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

ei9go wrote: »
    So the 29th, allowed go anywhere. A lot of things had built up during the lockdown so yesterday was the day to clear the diary.

Left Waterford fully charged. First stop near Ratoath. Then was going to go to Maxol in Navan for a charge but was in use when I checked so went to circle K near Ratoath. Breakfast but charger only charging at 27 kW. Got 12.42 kWh.

Stopped for toilet break in Castlebellingham , collected 7.65 kWh in 12 mins. started at 49.50 kW

Then onto Carlingford. SCP at Tourist office there so collected 6.5 kWh wasn't there for very long.

Next The Westwood Centre just off the A55. Collected 38 kWh there in about 1hr 45. 22kW charging for the win. What daisy and daisy wasn't the first thought beginning with D, designed the charger placement there?

Lastly Lusk southbound, Burger King open again. Collected 17.22 kWh in 28 mins while eating and then home arriving with 10% remaining.

The totals: driven 710 km. Average consumption 15.9 kWh / 100km. Cost 10.81 Euro. Time waiting to charge : none.

Failures : Newry Fastways, charger couldn't connect to server so wouldn't work. Surprised because had used before so thought I should be in the whitelist. Was at 80% so if I had got the other 20% there, could have driven all the way to Waterford without stopping.

Although I’m not a fan of Zoe i must say your review is really well done and should be very helpful to anyone looking to buy one.

• Advertisement

It's a pity there aren't more cheap Zoes about with no battery lease. The latter makes them a terrible second hand buy. My eldest will need to start driving within a year and I'd rather get a Zoe than a Leaf as a second family car for the looks, more practical size for a car that will mostly just have one occupant and slightly better range in the older cheaper cars (thinking 2011 / 2012) and the the AC chargers that are everywhere where any Zoe can charge at 22kW

Ideal would be a FIAT 500e but I don't think there are many of those around in RHD (if any?)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ideal would be a FIAT 500e but I don't think there are many of those around in RHD (if any?)

I think the original 500e was a pure California compliance car, can't see any listed on Autotrader.

Yeah pretty sure you are right there. It's also popular in some continental countries where people seem to have imported them from the USA. Quick look on a Californian Craigs list site shows you can buy a decent condition 2017 500e for as little as USD7-8k, which is a mega bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Yeah pretty sure you are right there. It's also popular in some continental countries where people seem to have imported them from the USA. Quick look on a Californian Craigs list site shows you can buy a decent condition 2017 500e for as little as USD7-8k, which is a mega bargain!

Their super cheap because it takes 3hrs 45 mins to charge them on a fast charger (max 7.4kW)

Range is slightly more (20-30km) than a Smart ED/EQ

Grand as a City Runaround but not for going anywhere :)

The European Version should be much better though and even has a open air roof version.

redcup342 wrote: »
    Their super cheap because it takes 3hrs 45 mins to charge them on a fast charger (max 7.4kW)

Range is slightly more (20-30km) than a Smart ED/EQ

Grand as a City Runaround but not for going anywhere :)

Perfect as a second car here in Dublin and for my daughter to learn to drive in. And arguably easier on the eye than any other EV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Perfect as a second car here in Dublin and for my daughter to learn to drive in. And arguably easier on the eye than any other EV :D

That's true, I do like it. It is a bit of a hairdressers car though :pac:

I love hairdressers cars! Had an MG-F, Audi TT and currently have a Borsche Boxster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

Anyone else with a Renault Zoe that can share feedback on their experience? Looking at buying a new ZE50 and would like to hear of others’ experience. Thanks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My mother is up for a new car at some stage this year, and I'm determined to get her into an EV, and I've decided it's to be the Zoe ZE50.
    I think they look great, and Bob Flavin's review about the simplicity of them would be a big winner for my mother.

Renault have what looks like a very good HP finance option, whereas the others I was looking at eCorsa & e208 were PCP deals....

She's coming from a 2012 Yaris, and had 2 brand new Avensis' (07 & 09) before that... (what a waste it was getting the 2nd one in 09...).

Would also appreciate some feedback from ZE50 owners..

Why is there no talk of the Renault Zoe in this forum?

In my opinion the price and battery capacity make it an excellent EV. Yes it is small, and perhaps not suited to a growing family, but otherwise it is a perfectly good EV. Why isn’t there more chatter about it?

• Advertisement

Also, with a 395km range (WLTP), it pi$$es all over its competitors (eCorsa, e208 etc...)

sidekick wrote: »
    Why is there no talk of the Renault Zoe in this forum?

In my opinion the price and battery capacity make it an excellent EV. Yes it is small, and perhaps not suited to a growing family, but otherwise it is a perfectly good EV. Why isn’t there more chatter about it?
    It is an unassuming vehicle driven mostly by modest motorists.

I think the Zoe looks fabulous.

And although it looks like a small car, I think appearances are deceptive!!

It is an unassuming vehicle driven mostly by modest motorists.

What is a modest motorist?

I know it’s top speed is 135km/h (83mph). How does that compare to other EV’s in its category? And would that be a turn off for some?

sidekick wrote: »
    What is a modest motorist?

The kind that don't feel the need to dangle their keyfobs around in public. Keyless entry appeals to them.

Advertisement