Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club with best practice area near Dublin

Options
  • 16-01-2021 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Anyone any suggestions on this one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

daveconn10 wrote: »
    Anyone any suggestions on this one?[/quot

Portmarnock is 👌👌👌

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Not sure what you mean by near but north of the river...
    St Margaret's has driving bays, chipping and putting
    Black Bush similar
    Royal Dublin similar
    Roganstown similar but not quite as good

Of the courses I'm familiar with near Dublin, these are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Not a member but Palmerston House is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If you mean "in Dublin" then this is no use, but near Dublin, Castlewarden has a driving range, short game area and extra putting green beside first tee. Started installation of practice bunker at the first tee green last year, but its not finished yet

• Registered Users Posts: 27 daveconn10

The reason being is it's a massive consideration in joining a club. Getting value is nearly as much about the facilities as the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Can you narrow down "near Dublin"?
    Big difference between Wicklow and Drogheda for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 daveconn10

GreeBo wrote: »
    Can you narrow down "near Dublin"?
    Big difference between Wicklow and Drogheda for example.

Near would be within 20k of the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

daveconn10 wrote: »
    Near would be within 20k of the city centre

Beaverstown have good facilities.

No long driving range though

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Carton House surely? Massive driving range, top quality short game and bunker practice area and very nice putting green

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Carton House surely? Massive driving range, top quality short game and bunker practice area and very nice putting green

I’d second that - expansive practice area, excellent short game facility (including top notch bunkers and contouring) and as well maintained as the courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

There is quite possibly no club in the country who has better facilities than Carton House

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DaveQuinn2020

Howth has a very good practice range. Decent size putting green, 2 small chipping greens, one other larger chipping green with space to hit full wedges. 2 practice bunkers. Ball dispenser (€1 for small bucket!!), driving range mat and a well maintained grass driving range. It's an under rated feature in Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The Island and Portmarnock and Royal Dublin are the best I have seen.

But I guess you have to be realistic in life too.

Parkland wise. I think Luttrellstown and Margert's are good.

Agree on Seve on Carton - but Seve are you talking GUI facility or Carton itself ?

Howth has a very good practice range. Decent size putting green, 2 small chipping greens, one other larger chipping green with space to hit full wedges. 2 practice bunkers. Ball dispenser (€1 for small bucket!!), driving range mat and a well maintained grass driving range. It's an under rated feature in Howth.

What’s the new pro like there now? Well I guess he is not really new anymore

The Island and Portmarnock and Royal Dublin are the best I have seen.

But I guess you have to be realistic in life too.

Parkland wise. I think Luttrellstown and Margert's are good.

Agree on Seve on Carton - but Seve are you talking GUI facility or Carton itself ?

Would be the GUI centre, but I think that you may get access as part of the membership of the club?

Seve OB wrote: »

What's Howth like in general as a club and course? Its Dublin, its links, and after Corballis, seems to be the most reasonable value in Dublin for membership if you want (ex Covid) year round golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

What's Howth like in general as a club and course? Its Dublin, its links, and after Corballis, seems to be the most reasonable value in Dublin for membership if you want (ex Covid) year round golf

IMO it’s a fairly poor course, some crazy greens in terms of elevations from the landing area - savage views though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Its parkland in style with some very very unusual holes. One leg short than other would be useful

Only played it once

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dun Laoghaire has excellent practice facilities for all aspects of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Its parkland in style with some very very unusual holes. One leg short than other would be useful

Only played it once

Most people only play it once to be honest, you need a buggy. If you have a poor heart I would stay away from it, it’s a tough walk. But cracking views of Dublin which are worth the green fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I don’t think you will find better then Carton in greater Dublin area but Malahide is really good and Margaret’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Dun Laoghaire had the potential to create the best facilities but they made a mess of the planning/layout as well as the uphill driving range. That said they have a new academy with trackman which is top of the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

frink wrote:
    Dun Laoghaire had the potential to create the best facilities but they made a mess of the planning/layout as well as the uphill driving range. That said they have a new academy with trackman which is top of the range.

Good short game area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

First Up wrote: »
    Good short game area too.

The pitching area is brilliant but the chipping green is an after thought as the green is terribly designed.
    But where they are located so far from each other is my biggest problem with it. You can't hit a bucket of balls on the range, practice your chips and then putt before playing given the distance between all 3

Seve OB wrote: »

Alan O'Sullivan. He is excellent. The club invested a lot in the Pro-Shop when he joined so it is a huge improvement on what McGuirks had in place previously.

I've used him for lessons and he has helped me bring my handicap down significantly. Really nice fella too!

Its playable year round off fairways and no temporary greens. Its not a links course, more heathland with some quirky holes. Its a tricky test, with a lot of different shots required and some semi-blind shots There is a good active membership with lots of evening competitions mid-week which is a huge advantage in my book. Easy enough to get on the timesheet compared to other north Dublin clubs. Very good value. Very active in inter-club also.

Some people complain about the hills, but I've seen 80 year olds carry bags. I carry a bag most of the time, and only use a powakaddy for big competitions. If you are reasonably fit and healthy its not a problem at all. Great views.

Alan O'Sullivan. He is excellent. The club invested a lot in the Pro-Shop when he joined so it is a huge improvement on what McGuirks had in place previously.

I've used him for lessons and he has helped me bring my handicap down significantly. Really nice fella too!

good to hear, I have met him a few times & know his dad quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Is the driving range open to non members?

Is the driving range open to non members?

I'm afraid not, members only.

• Advertisement
Advertisement