Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MG5 52 kWh estate EV

• 14-11-2020 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

This looks interesting,

A practical sized car for most, big battery (52.5 kWh gross), and low (relative) pricing for an EV. Also MG launching a dealership in Dublin soon.

Made in China and looks like a copy of an old Passat to me.

WLTP combined range of 344kms! You will get less in winter on motorways, but gives an idea of what to expect.

On the cons, only 50kW charging and MG China a bit of an unproven entity, but there's a 7 year warranty so who cares!

Review from Fully Charged here...

James & Kate review here...

Selling from 25k sterling in the UK, so maybe less than 30k euro new here with a 7 year warranty!

Is it just me or is that looking like a very practical good value EV!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Should be a lot less than €30k here as we have higher subsidies than the UK. My guess is around the €27k mark and at that a lot of car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah it looks very interesting, it's nice to finally see an EV estate, plenty of room for carrying stuff

There doesn't seem to be anyone selling new MG's in Ireland, so 2nd hand from UK is the only option (and about to be a very bad option with Brexit)

The infotainment does seem a bit basic, but software updates can fix that hopefully

All in all, for the price you certainly can't go wrong

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

There doesn't seem to be anyone selling new MG's in Ireland...

MG are opening in Dublin soon actually!

Anyone any idea when they might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

BigAl81 wrote: »
    MG are opening in Dublin soon actually!

Anyone any idea when they might be?

Website has been created but gives little away. I've registered for details @ www.mg.ie

I've been in an 6, 3 and ZS in NI. There is nothing particularly wrong with them, I did find a lot of cheap assembly when I poked underneath etc.

My big issue is, and it'll be hard for Frank Keane to overcome, is that MG themselves don't seem to give a hoot once they sell the cars. That goes for customers with issues and dealers trying to fix them. Owners facebook pages are now having more regular tales of woe of problem which are compounded by dealers that can;t help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

344kms WTLP

So probably around 150-180 km Motorway in Winter.

Looks great, would be a decent option for people looking for an Estate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Seems Phil a going to review this one (he's venturing into the EV review space -not a bad idea for second hand EV salesman).

EV database says 200km+ motorway range. The pictures of the boot and the rear seats "down" don't seem impressive for an estate type car

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Seems Phil a going to review this one (he's venturing into the EV review space -not a bad idea for second hand EV salesman).

EV database says 200km+ motorway range. The pictures of the boot and the rear seats "down" don't seem impressive for an estate type car

I was thinking the same about boot. I think it's small estate, like golf estate size from what I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

Dealerships are open and advertising heavily on facebook

I was thinking the same about boot. I think it's small estate, like golf estate size from what I can tell.

Can't have it all I guess. Space, range, price. To it's credit, it'll probably have ioniq 38 range, with more boot space and faster charging, for less money. Not sure what tech it will have by comparison though.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Can't have it all I guess. Space, range, price. To it's credit, it'll probably have ioniq 38 range, with more boot space and faster charging, for less money. Not sure what tech it will have by comparison though.

From reading online it's pretty efficient so I think about 250-300km is manageable in winter on motorway. Boot is a good bit bigger than Ioniq but spec is fairly limited on the base model. Charges up to 75kwhr which isn't too bad either. I'd say it'll be very popular for taxis. Expect price around 28 and 31k OTR for the different specs. Launching here next week apparently.

• Advertisement

Just don't use the roof rails

From reading online it's pretty efficient so I think about 250-300km is manageable in winter on motorway. Boot is a good bit bigger than Ioniq but spec is fairly limited on the base model. Charges up to 75kwhr which isn't too bad either. I'd say it'll be very popular for taxis. Expect price around 28 and 31k OTR for the different specs. Launching here next week apparently.

75kW I assume you mean. I thought it was maxed at 50kW (read it in passing, I've not checked it's specs)

EV database says 200km in cold weather, 260 in mild weather. 300km would mean an average consumption of 16kWh/100km which it will not do on motorways in winter. It would struggle to get near that in summer at motorway speeds. 240km in winter is probably more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Car dimensions are very similar but the boot is def smaller than in golf estate - 464 vs 605l, 1456 vs 1620l with seats folded.

75kW I assume you mean. I thought it was maxed at 50kW (read it in passing, I've not checked it's specs)

EV database says 200km in cold weather, 260 in mild weather. 300km would mean an average consumption of 16kWh/100km which it will not do on motorways in winter. It would struggle to get near that in summer at motorway speeds. 240km in winter is probably more realistic.

If it drives like every estate I've ever driven it'll struggle to get up to motorway speeds, which probably means the energy economy will be pretty good :D

If it drives like every estate I've ever driven it'll struggle to get up to motorway speeds, which probably means the energy economy will be pretty good :D

Plenty of performant estate cars available, so I don’t think that particularly helps establish any sort of objective comparison.

I can’t see why anyone would want to buy a chinese manufactured EV, wearing a badge from a long-gone British marque.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Plenty of performant estate cars available, so I don’t think that particularly helps establish any sort of objective comparison.

I can’t see why anyone would want to buy a chinese manufactured EV, wearing a badge from a long-gone British marque.

€28k is why.

Because it's cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Because it's cheap?

Buy cheap, buy twice :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I can’t see why anyone would want to buy a chinese manufactured EV, wearing a badge from a long-gone British US marque.

New Tesla Model 3?

:eek:.

€28k is why.
    Because it's cheap?

Not a good enough reason really.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    Buy cheap, buy twice :pac:.

Meh, I don't buy these supposed quality issues that Chinese cars have. It has to pass all the same safety checks that a European car does to be sold in the EU. Chinese factories are perfectly capable of making quality merchandise, they're also capable of churning out garbage if they decide to

If there's a rake of people complaining about quality issues in the ZS EV then I'll think something is up, otherwise I'm sure the car will be fine

Not a good enough reason really.

Prepare your surprised face so.

See Dacia for example. Cheap crappy cars, and the Irish lap them up. MG will only be held back by their lack of dealers. Acceptable range, good charging speeds, decent storage space, not horrible looking, 7 year warranty. Not sure about the tech on it.

What would a similar alternative to this be (EV capable of being a family)?
    The eNiro - more range and more tech, but 10k+ more up front.
    Ioniq - more tech, slower charging, similar range, less boot storage, but 5k+ extra.
    Enyaq - more tech (one would hope but Skoda seem to be putting everything as an optional extra), slower charging, some more range, good boot, 10k+ more cost. More if you want more range/better charging speeds/tech.

If there's a rake of people complaining about quality issues in the ZS EV then I'll think something is up, otherwise I'm sure the car will be fine

There is, plenty of horror stories in the UK with the ZS EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

You can have a spin in mine if you want.

Soarer wrote: »
    You can have a spin in mine if you want.

Hey, in my defence, I said every estate I've ever driven, which includes a 1.3l Golf estate, and a 1.4l Golf estate

I know sporty estates are a thing, but I'm not sure the MG5 is gonna fit in the sporty category :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Hey, in my defence, I said every estate I've ever driven, which includes a 1.3l Golf estate, and a 1.4l Golf estate

I know sporty estates are a thing, but I'm not sure the MG5 is gonna fit in the sporty category :)

'nuff said! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭innrain

It is officially coming https://motoringmatters.ie/the-all-new-mg5-ev-mg-expand-model-range-to-electric-for-all/

I think this car as a taxi considering the 20k incentives would be a steal. Having a new car for about 8k over 350km range 7 years warranty 150HP what else would you want?

MG5 EV facelift is arriving in October 2021 for anyone running out to buy one right now according to the MG Europe twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Its here, and it's impressive, mg pilot, almost 400km range, and a lot of car for the money, The main dealer in Cork has sold out their full October delivery already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement