Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good mask for running

• 23-09-2020 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good mask for running, one that isn't too uncomfortable if that even possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Is there a reason you're wanting to wear a mask whilst running other than covid? I wouldn't wear a mask whilst running, itll restrict your breathing and performance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

501aaaa045be3.jpg

I like this one!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Run4Mun

I'm not sure how good it is but Under Armour have one on their site. Sorry I can't link as I'm only a new user.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Run4Mun wrote: »
    I'm not sure how good it is but Under Armour have one on their site. Sorry I can't link as I'm only a new user.

Yeah bet it's like €50

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Run4Mun

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yeah bet it's like €50

It's €30. As I said, I'm not sure how good it is, but if it is good then surely it's worth that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sav1

Galen Rupp did a 10k in 28:38:17 wearing a mask. maybe one of thoses would be suitable

https://respromasks.com/allergies/runners-with-allergies/

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭the goon

Is there a reason you're wanting to wear a mask whilst running other than covid? I wouldn't wear a mask whilst running, itll restrict your breathing and performance

Running in built up areas particularly at moment is difficult. Yes Covid partially (for myself and to put others at ease) but also more and more conscious of all the crap I am breathing in from exhaust fumes to cigarette smoke. Running for health so not too concerned if performance drops in terms of times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

When I first dared to venture outside for a run in the early stages of the pandemic I was wearing a buff to cover my mouth and nose.

It still allowed me to breathe easily but it got warm very quickly, and after a few runs I stopped bothering with it.

If you're worried about car fumes or cigarette smoke find some routes away from traffic - in a city that usually means running in a park. But I honestly don't think running with a mask is viable in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The OP has their reasons and that is fine, but I would hate to see runners wearing masks outdoors and this putting social pressure on other runners to wear masks. Once you are outdoors and not running directly beside someone for a prolonged, you are as likely to get struck by lightning as getting covid!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭event

Run4Mun wrote: »

They sell them on Lifestyle sports website too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

sav1 wrote: »
    Galen Rupp did a 10k in 28:38:17 wearing a mask. maybe one of thoses would be suitable

https://respromasks.com/allergies/runners-with-allergies/

Was it supplied by Alberto Salazar ðŸ€

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Try the Sinn Fein online shop bound to have a variety of face coverings

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Try the Sinn Fein online shop bound to have a variety of face coverings

https://www.sinnfeinbookshop.com/le-cheile-face-mask/

One in conjunction with the athletics club in Leixlip by the looks of things. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I believe Buff are doing Buffs with built in (changeable ) filters.
    Obvs a regular buff/neck gaiter wouldn't meet anti-Covid standards.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

I believe Buff are doing Buffs with built in (changeable ) filters.
    Obvs a regular buff/neck gaiter wouldn't meet anti-Covid standards.

Didn't realise there were standards? A face covering is a face covering surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sideswipe wrote: »
    The recommendation is a minimum of three layers for a thin fabric/tissue paper. Heavier fabrics you'll get away with two or even one layer.

Any buff/snood I've had is very thin/light fabric, so you'd need to fold it over twice to be effective. You might have trouble getting it to stay up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

From Buff website
    "Our response was always clear: our already existing multifunctional neckwear products are not scientifically proven to prevent you from contracting or passing the virus to someone else. They are not certified to be used as a replacement to medical grade masks. Wearing a BUFF® product however might remind people around you to maintain a safe and comfortable distance and might remind yourself to not touch your face."

See also here
    "The worst were the polypropylene neck gaiters or buffs," said Nelson. "In this particular study, they had more respiratory (droplets) come through than if people weren't wearing anything at all."

100412.2526@compuserve.com

From Buff website
    "Our response was always clear: our already existing multifunctional neckwear products are not scientifically proven to prevent you from contracting or passing the virus to someone else. They are not certified to be used as a replacement to medical grade masks. Wearing a BUFF® product however might remind people around you to maintain a safe and comfortable distance and might remind yourself to not touch your face."

See also here
    "The worst were the polypropylene neck gaiters or buffs," said Nelson. "In this particular study, they had more respiratory (droplets) come through than if people weren't wearing anything at all."

I'm calling BS on that anyway! Wearing one layer magnifies the amount of droplets!

The real point is if your outside running you should be breathing fresh air not re-inhaling your own breath. Risk of infection in an outdoor setting is reported to be miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭event

Bought one of the under armour ones today. First one that doesn't fog up my glasses anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SuspectZero

Theres actually massive standardisation, masks like kn95/n95 to N100 respirators would be what you see those in hazmat suits in ICU wearing which would have a 95-99% filtration rate on virus size droplets. Disposable surgical masks would be below them in effectiveness and homemade would be much lower again. Not that you have a huge chance of catching covid outside as you mentioned.

For the OP, your best bet is prob an N95/KN95 respirator mask, as well as been the most effective, I've found them to be the most breathable although I havent run in one, just daily use. You can pick them up in most chemists for a fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Iyou should be breathing fresh air not re-inhaling your own breath.

You cannot re-inhale your own breath with a mask.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm calling BS on that anyway! Wearing one layer magnifies the amount of droplets!

Likewise, that sounds like nonsense.

But I think what the study in question was calling a buff and we'd think of as a very thin stretchy single layer of fabric. They actually tested a fleece type neck gaiter. Once that has been worn for a few minutes an got a bit of moisture on it, it will easily have more droplets being distributed as you breathe through it.

Buffs as we know them are not distributing more than you breathe out.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

With the new and improved!! strains it's now recommended to excerise with a mask .. Else you could try hold your breath 10 mts either side of people and sprint when passing them.

Hardly any near n95 masks for running out their?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The we have to wear masks when running is the day i take up midnight running without a mask.
    And with that I'm off before the dog walkers and kids with bikes hit the pavement and parks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

With the new and improved!! strains it's now recommended to excerise with a mask .. Else you could try hold your breath 10 mts either side of people and sprint when passing them.

Hardly any near n95 masks for running out their?

Where have you seen the recommendations for wearing a mask whilst exercising? Is this from any official sources yet, or just random talking heads on TV news shows trying to fill their time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

the goon wrote: »
    Running in built up areas particularly at moment is difficult. Yes Covid partially (for myself and to put others at ease) but also more and more conscious of all the crap I am breathing in from exhaust fumes to cigarette smoke. Running for health so not too concerned if performance drops in terms of times etc.

I've been wearing a snood over my mouth when running in winter the past two years. The reason is the pollution, an increasing number of houses burning solid fuels and god knows what else.
    I've only anecdotes of how effective it is. I used a totobo mask before but it restricted breathing too much so while the snood still let's some stuff in, it is stopping some of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I certainly wont ever wear a mask when running. I actually consider it to be dangerous to yourself. Even wearing a snood on the bike , I often have to take it off my nose and mouth to get a decent breath when stopped at lights etc. All the vulnerable who want it should be vaccinated in the next few months. These kind of suggestions need to be recycled to the bin IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I certainly wont ever wear a mask when running. I actually consider it to be dangerous to yourself. Even wearing a snood on the bike , I often have to take it off my nose and mouth to get a decent breath when stopped at lights etc. All the vulnerable who want it should be vaccinated in the next few months. These kind of suggestions need to be recycled to the bin IMO.

But we're not approaching this from a covid stance, it's from a pollution stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

But we're not approaching this from a covid stance, it's from a pollution stance.

What retriggered this discussion was the post

"With the new and improved!! strains it's now recommended to excerise with a mask .. Else you could try hold your breath 10 mts either side of people and sprint when passing them."

That's covid related.

For what's it's worth I agree with Lambay. Not a hope am I wearing a mask while out running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭the goon

I hope you do run for the sake of your health, because otherwise you'll give yourself a coronary getting this upset over something which no one is actually making you do!

Following my query here I invested in 10 mask + 300 replaceable filters which I wear when running (5-10k, 5 times a week). Its been fine. Some great suggestions here too re snuds etc., and to those who made them I'd like to thank you once again for providing informative advice. I'm obviously not going to extend that appreciation to the less helpful posts from the righteous brigade.

Advertisement