Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whatever happened to Dublin's Bendy Busses?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

.anon. wrote: »
    It's baffling that their most low-demand route (the 59, from Dún Laoghaire to Killiney, via Dalkey) requires double-deckers because it didn't occur to anyone in the NTA to purchase even one single-decker that could safely negotiate this roundabout in Killiney village.

The 59 board is interworked with route 63. Deckers were needed during school term. Believe it or not, its actually easier for a SG/GT to navigate the Kiliney hill roundabout than a streetlite.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

It's baffling that their most low-demand route (the 59, from Dún Laoghaire to Killiney, via Dalkey) requires double-deckers because it didn't occur to anyone in the NTA to purchase even one single-decker that could safely negotiate this roundabout in Killiney village.

Very true about the 59 but I don't even know if GAI would even want a single decker on it as I'm sure you're aware they interwork the 59 with the 45a, 63, 75 and on Sundays the 111. They could park a single decker in DL and have other drivers off other routes park their double decker in DL then use the single decker to operate on the 59 or maybe just interwork the 59 and 111 using smaller single deckers.

I'd say the lowest usage route with GAI would be the 161 which uses a mix of single and double deckers not the 59 mind you. I'm not sure why the 44b which would have required smaller single deckers didn't go to GAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

d51984 wrote: »
    The 59 board is interworked with route 63. Deckers were needed during school term.

Depending on the time of day, it's interworked with the 63, the 45a, the 75 and (on Sundays) the 111. Between 0735 and 1521, Mon-Fri, it's operated by the same bus (board 1109) as part of three different duties. Because of the nature of GAI's operations in DL (drivers constantly hopping from one bus to the next), it would be logistically fairly straightforward to have a low-floor mini/midi-bus allocated to the route at almost all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

d51984 wrote: »
    Believe it or not, its actually easier for a SG/GT to navigate the Kiliney hill roundabout than a streetlite.

It's not possible to manoeuvre GAI's Streetlites around it in one go. Not because of their length (Dublin Bus used to occasionally use VLs and ADs on it), but their terrible steering lock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

It's not possible to manoeuvre GAI's Streetlites around it in one go. Not because of their length (Dublin Bus used to occasionally use VLs and ADs on it), but their terrible steering lock.

Yeah I've heard some bad things about the Streetlites alright I believe some bus drivers in the UK call them streetsh*tes. I was only ever on one once one of the two DB ones on the 145 of all routes surprisingly it wasn't full as this in the morning rush hour. It felt quite jerky and the bus felt it wanted to jerk forward everytime it stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

I'll never forget the time one broke down across 2 lanes in College St and the wagon came along and that broke down too in the same spot! Nothing moved in town that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Would cable electric buses be a goer for Dublin. Work well in San Francisco.

1200px-Muni_5_Fulton_trolleybus_at_Temporary_Transbay_Terminal%2C_December_2017.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

The next iteration of buses in Dublin should be battery electric.

At long last the stupidity of hybrids has been realized.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/tender-for-up-to-800-all-electric-double-decker-buses-published-1.4442911

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mimon wrote: »
    Would cable electric buses be a goer for Dublin. Work well in San Francisco.

We are starting to go full EV with our buses soon. With EV buses coming soon, no point in installing expensive to install and maintain wiring, which is also unsightly and would face lots of public opposition.

Generally cities only use such wiring where the city has history of it going back 100 years. It rarely gets used in new locations other then for teams like Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

My submission on the review of the Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy was that they should introduce single decker articulated buses. They would be great on orbital routes on some of the newer R roads in the west of the city. Also they'd be perfect for a route using Macken Street serving north and south Docklands as they should be able to get under the low bridge there. There is also a potential issue with clearance for double deckers under Christchurch arch which they could solve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    There is also a potential issue with clearance for double deckers under Christchurch arch which they could solve.

Not a problem for double deckers. Dublin Bus route 151 already uses that street.

Advertisement