Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dimplex Air to water heat pump NOISE

• 27-11-2019 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi, I badly need help about the dimplex heat pump system i my recently acquired new built house. These noises are all internal in the house (not the heat pump machine outside):
    - Louder than normal noise when heating or water is on -- a humming/ vibrating noise is heard throughout the house, worst in the masters bed beside the hot press. The noise is coming from the hot press cylinder system.
    - Loud clicking sound - when the heating or water is on, a loud clicking sound is heard from the ensuite just behind the hot press and sometimes from hot press area. Odd enough, hours after the heating and water has finished, there would be random loud clicks at the middle of the night (about one every 30min).
    - Radiator not really heating - Non noise issue but about radiators not heating up despite being bled and no air. Also, radiators upstairs have lesser heat than the already low heating rads downstairs.

I have contacted the builder twice and they say they cannot help anymore saying that the noise to them is normal. But they refused to compare it to my neighbors house which is a lot quiter. These noises in mine would not allow you to sleep in the next room to the hot press (masters) hence im posting here now out of despair.

I have contacted dimplex and engineer says he doesnt know why my system is having higher noise level. He also refused to listen to my neighbors house system.

Please, could anyone..
    - advise on the above issues, or
    - recommend an expert that i could engaged to independently evaluate my heat pump system (im planning to lodge a formal complaint but need somethinf written than something is wrong)
    - advise if i could take this to a governing body (consumer protection in ireland)

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Cessee wrote: »
    Hi, I badly need help about the dimplex heat pump system i my recently acquired new built house. These noises are all internal in the house (not the heat pump machine outside):
    - Louder than normal noise when heating or water is on -- a humming/ vibrating noise is heard throughout the house, worst in the masters bed beside the hot press. The noise is coming from the hot press cylinder system.
    - Loud clicking sound - when the heating or water is on, a loud clicking sound is heard from the ensuite just behind the hot press and sometimes from hot press area. Odd enough, hours after the heating and water has finished, there would be random loud clicks at the middle of the night (about one every 30min).
    - Radiator not really heating - Non noise issue but about radiators not heating up despite being bled and no air. Also, radiators upstairs have lesser heat than the already low heating rads downstairs.

I have contacted the builder twice and they say they cannot help anymore saying that the noise to them is normal. But they refused to compare it to my neighbors house which is a lot quiter. These noises in mine would not allow you to sleep in the next room to the hot press (masters) hence im posting here now out of despair.

I have contacted dimplex and engineer says he doesnt know why my system is having higher noise level. He also refused to listen to my neighbors house system.

Please, could anyone..
    - advise on the above issues, or
    - recommend an expert that i could engaged to independently evaluate my heat pump system (im planning to lodge a formal complaint but need somethinf written than something is wrong)
    - advise if i could take this to a governing body (consumer protection in ireland)

Thanks a lot!

There are rubber blocks you can buy for mounting things. Putting these between the ashp and where it's mounted might help. Have a look how it' s mounted, noise can travel if it's mounted tightly onto something with nothing to soak up the vibration

Noise will travel through the pipes as well. You can put a piece of flexible braided hose in the pipe to reduce this

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Cessee

There are rubber blocks you can buy for mounting things. Putting these between the ashp and where it's mounted might help. Have a look how it' s mounted, noise can travel if it's mounted tightly onto something with nothing to soak up the vibration

Noise will travel through the pipes as well. You can put a piece of flexible braided hose in the pipe to reduce this

Thanks! Could you give the name of that product and which shop you think its available? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jastew

Did you ever get this resolved? I have similar issues with a different brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Cessee

jastew wrote: »
    Did you ever get this resolved? I have similar issues with a different brand.

Not yet but asking my builder to do what the poster above suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Delly7

Hi I know this is an old post I was wondering how did you get on I’ve been through a similar situation and found that everywhere I turned was a dead end. Even the SEAI told me as far as sound goes the industry is unregulated. I’ve been looking through some of the information I gathered at 3 and 4 in the morning in the throes of sleep deprivation and there are lots of ideas that were good. My situation hasn’t changed and I’m planning on moving though I would like to put some of these things together and hopefully pave some path forward for other people left in this position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've a Dimplex A6M and up until recently was having issues with noise coming from the hot press. It was a loud whirring noise a lot like a pump cavitating

It turned out the 3 way valve wasn't closing properly and the noise was turbulence of the water forcing it's way into the wrong circuit

Dimplex have so stopped fitting these types of valve (solenoid driven valve) and have replaced it with a more powerful servo driven one

Since then there's been no whirring noise from the hot press.

There are some other noises as well, similar to the clicking noises you described. I believe this is the relays for the valves clicking back and forth.

It seems they can get stuck in a loop for a few mins and keep opening and closing. I've found the best way to fix this is to turn the thermostat down a bit to turn the heating off. Generally the house is close to the set temperature anyway so it doesn't seem to affect the heating much

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement