Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Tork

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    could never listen to Sam Smyth , i dont have the patience for people who take five minutes to utter a short sentence
    That's beside the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Christ, 20 mins of Roe McDermott, Lise Hand and Larissa Nolan with Matt talking about Sex and The City. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Christ, 20 mins of Roe McDermott, Lise Hand and Larissa Nolan with Matt talking about Sex and The City. FFS.

**** ME... it was brutal, one of 'em went of on a monologue, Matt tried to get in 3 times before she final let him. Total BS radio that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Larissa Nolan and Lise Hane hit it perfectly. Celebrated the show for what it was. Roe did her usual crap and ramped it up to 11, dismissing the whole show.

I’m Paraphrasing- “It was quite problematic. There was no diversity in the show. It was racist in many episodes, homophobic, bi-phobic and it was at its heart entirely driven by materialism”.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Matt probably loved that discussion.

He's going soft in his old age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Really scraping the barrel to give that amount of time to that show about 15 mins too long .

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

It's about his level!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Roe McDermott eh

how often did she mention - bring up " trans issues " ?

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Larissa Nolan and Lise Hane hit it perfectly. Celebrated the show for what it was. Roe did her usual crap and ramped it up to 11, dismissing the whole show.

I’m Paraphrasing- “It was quite problematic. There was no diversity in the show. It was racist in many episodes, homophobic, bi-phobic and it was at its heart entirely driven by materialism”.

standard WOKE bingo then from Roe

im guessing the show was " racist " due to the Samantha character believing black guys were packing more or something and she went through a phase of being a size queen ? , cant be stereotyping etc

doubt it was " In the Heat Of The Night " racism ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Roe McDermott eh

how often did she mention - bring up " trans issues " ?

The opening line referenced the “4 white cis gender women and how they were total privileged”.

• Advertisement

The opening line referenced the “4 white cis gender women and how they were total privileged”.

stuff ( mind numbingly boring ) WOKE progressives say

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Show should be renamed “The Last Woke”

Because the 3 women commenting on it were quite the diverse bunch themselves, and all from disadvantaged backgrounds.

:rolleyes:

Because the 3 women commenting on it were quite the diverse bunch themselves, and all from disadvantaged backgrounds.

:rolleyes:

women from modest backrounds would never sh1te on with that kind of WOKE wankery , they would be mercilessly slagged for doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Butson

I heard this segment with Roe yesterday, cringe inducing stuff. You would expect it from her and her ilk.
    Cooper though, how did he not pull her up on that nonsense.

He's as bad as the rest of them, afraid to call her out incase he gets labelled himself. Or, even worse, he agrees with her.
    Either way, that show is gone to the dogs.

Butson wrote: »
    I heard this segment with Roe yesterday, cringe inducing stuff. You would expect it from her and her ilk.

He's as bad as the rest of them, afraid to call her out incase he gets labelled himself. Or, even worse, he agrees with her.

I have it on very good authority he doesn’t agree with this stuff but I guess he’s just going with the flow and as you suggest, afraid to call it out for fear of being labeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Tork

I have the feeling his production crew are very woke so he isn't going to piss them off. He's also big into Twitter so he isn't going to stir the masses there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Tork wrote: »
    I have the feeling his production crew are very woke so he isn't going to piss them off. He's also big into Twitter so he isn't going to stir the masses there either.

Lise Hand in fairness isnt too bad and Larissa Nolan has her moments (tho she's called in to discuss everything, stuff thats way outside her field) but Roe is just a dose. Between herself and Jennifer Gannon, the Last Word is definitely veering away from the sort of radio I want to be listening to i.e. wokeness and virtue signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭TheDavester

he did change producers a few years ago (when the show was good and not a whingy soap box for the latest rent a sjw/the journal "journalist") and the Times ban didnt help, and a few here thought it was him who changed and the previous producer reigned him in...

He's a coward and a hypocrite in other words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Probably under direction from management and ‘content creators’ to appeal to the younger audience - but I don’t think the young audience listen to him and don’t fall fir the sjw/woke nonsesne like in America

NIMAN wrote: »
    He's a coward and a hypocrite in other words.

That is one way to put it alright..........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Butson wrote: »

Matt loves all the woke stuff and culture wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I stopped listening to this awful show in April or May last year for a number of reasons. The main one was they seemed to LOVE the Covid lockdown and buy into all the ridiculous theatre around it. But the wokeness and the bullying of Cal Thomas was a close second to that. Having still not listened in almost a year, it’s great to see nothing has changed!

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I stopped listening to this awful show in April or May last year for a number of reasons. The main one was they seemed to LOVE the Covid lockdown and buy into all the ridiculous theatre around it. But the wokeness and the bullying of Cal Thomas was a close second to that. Having still not listened in almost a year, it’s great to see nothing has changed!

I would have been a regular listener to TLW most days up until about 12 or 18 months ago.

But it took an awful drop off in quality around that time, just when it started nonsense like "the 5 at 5" etc. Seemed to be trying to appeal to an audience I wasn't part of. Then of course it got too Woke. Matt seemed to change, lost his edge and seemed to get very pro-any cause that was going.

The standard of the contributors fell off. Badly.

So stopped listening. Tune in every now and again as I used to really like the US slot, but as you say that has got hard to listen to as Cal is often on the end of what I could only describe as bullying (which I'm sure MC would disagree with).

But the occasional listen shows that it is not getting any better. Its a hard listen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Regarding the SATC segment (happy half hour) - why was there not a male contributor (other than Matt) on this?

Btw I am female

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    But the wokeness and the bullying of Cal Thomas was a close second to that. Having still not listened in almost a year, it’s great to see nothing has changed!
    NIMAN wrote: »
    but as you say that has got hard to listen to as Cal is often on the end of what I could only describe as bullying (which I'm sure MC would disagree with).

Ah 'cmon, bullying of Cal Thomas, dare I use the vocabulary of some posts on this and call you or him a snowflake?

Thomas is well able for himself, but he talks a lot of ****e when it comes to Trump and was either in denial, or trying to whitewash, Trump's behaviour and hung himself out to dry on numerous occasions.

FWIW, I also tend not to listen as often as I used to, but the show has gone downhill a couple of years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

On The Last Word last week Matt had his chum Marion McKeown on to go to town on Melania Trump.

At one stage Marion talked about the women's protest in Washington after Trump got the gig and the way many of the women were carrying placards saying "Free Melania".

Marion says she thought that was a load of BS at the time but didn't express that opinion in public.

I had to laugh at that. Basically she was afraid to say what she thought in case her fellow feminists or Woke lefties on twitter ganged up on her for attacking poor defenseless Melania.

But now 4 years later and after the whole crack in Washington a few weeks ago she felt she could speak her mind and lambast the First Lady.

What a hypocrite. And of course her buddy Cooper was of the same mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Butson

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ah 'cmon, bullying of Cal Thomas, dare I use the vocabulary of some posts on this and call you or him a snowflake?

Thomas is well able for himself, but he talks a lot of ****e when it comes to Trump and was either in denial, or trying to whitewash, Trump's behaviour and hung himself out to dry on numerous occasions.

FWIW, I also tend not to listen as often as I used to, but the show has gone downhill a couple of years at this stage.

As you say, Cal is big and bauld enough to look after himself, but I think it's MCs tone with him that is so off putting. Times he literally laughs at Cal, sniggers and makes passing comments on what he has just said before he goes to McKeon.

Not a hope he sniggers at the likes of Roe though.
    He is part of this weird Irish media obsession with all things the Democratic Party, and of late their microphone, CNN.

He could do with reading a history book.

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    On The Last Word last week Matt had his chum Marion McKeown on to go to town on Melania Trump.

At one stage Marion talked about the women's protest in Washington after Trump got the gig and the way many of the women were carrying placards saying "Free Melania".

Marion says she thought that was a load of BS at the time but didn't express that opinion in public.

I had to laugh at that. Basically she was afraid to say what she thought in case her fellow feminists or Woke lefties on twitter ganged up on her for attacking poor defenseless Melania.

But now 4 years later and after the whole crack in Washington a few weeks ago she felt she could speak her mind and lambast the First Lady.

What a hypocrite. And of course her buddy Cooper was of the same mind.

both her and Cooper were extremely unfair towards Melania , what did she say that was so terrible in that leaked phone call ?

Advertisement